HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizzabeth: jaykay, this is a choir from the London Oratory school. It’s not a Brompton Oratory choir̷ 0;
- hwriggles4: Yes this is a movie- in most cases, if an officer holds the rank of O-6 (CAPT in USN, COL in USAF) after 29 years, he or she is pretty much automatica lly retired. Likewise, if a...
- hwriggles4: Looking at this I had a flashback to my frat house days of the mid 1980s. Seven weeks of pledging was like boot camp. As I got older, into my mid twenties, I realized that pledging a...
- AndyMo: I know it’s a distinctio n without a difference , but I wouldnR 17;t call it pandering to the ChiComs so much as toadying. Internatio nal box office numbers are everything to large...
- kat: Supertradm um, I always enjoyed your posts. Prayers!!
- kat: Not just for Extreme Unction. If the priest is making a sick call with Holy Communion, you also use this set.
- Semper Gumby: I’m with Vicki McKenna on this, the more toxic Top Gun 2 is the better. Every screening of this movie should be attended by a HazMat team, there should be wailing and gnash...
- jaykay: Correction : The choir gallery is on the right, facing the High Altar.
- jaykay: Aiii! Thank you Father! I haven̵ 7;t heard their boys’ ; choir. It looks bigger than Westminste r Cathedral& #8217;s! And what a glorious sound. The Victoria O quam gloriosum is...
- Bob B.: The Daily Caller has a comparison photo of the back of both jackets – the Taiwan and the Japan flag are both missing on the new jacket. It was a great PR movie for the Navy and they...
- roma247: No doubt many will blame this on the fact that it is my birthday. They will likely be correct. Sorry for the trouble. It’s only one day. :)
- trespinos: Praying for you and your son today, Supertradm om, with gratitude for your eminently good example shown in the use of this medium. “Dea th may come, in Love’ ;s safe keeping...
- JonathanTX: For English, press one. ¡Para español, marque el número dos!
- baileymxd: After my third consecutiv e miscarriag e, my husband and I conceived #4 six weeks after. At that point, every positive pregnancy test seemed like a death sentence to us and we were at a...
- Suudy: Unplug the computer for 30 seconds, and restart. Did that fix your problem? No? Ok, I’ll have to elevate your support case. ;)
- TKS: Thank you for your excellent posts over the years. I am praying for you and your son.
- TonyO: Whew, that’ ;s a lot to take in. Thanks, Fr. Z, for sensible and thoughtful teaching. Thanks, especially , for your carefully indicating where you draw your own (very sensible) applic...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I have one of these crucifixes . It was one of the last gifts my grandmothe r gave me before her death when I was six. She selected it because it most resembled her own,...
- Philmont237: I asked a local priest about this. I’ve pasted his reply below. I was disappoint ed because I was baptized Episcopali an. “Not really. You might be thinking of the various exorci...
- Suburbanbanshee: Father Z — scary story out of Japan, as a crazy arsonist attempted to murder everyone in one of the Kyoto Animation offices, splashed gas on some and set them on fire, and...
- SanSan: I have our familyR 21;sick call” ; crucifix hanging in our kitchen with palms from palm Sunday behind it. So happy it wasn’ ;t lost or discarded.
- Liz: Supertradm om, we will add you to our rosaries and I will offer my mass and Holy Communion for you today, for the grace of a happy death. St. Joseph, pray for us!
- ProfKwasniewski: Thank you, Father. A wonderfull y balanced, perceptive , and nourishing post! (For something written at an airport, it must set a new record for perspicuit y and depth.) I especi...
- Gab: Of course you are correct, Father. Both forms are valid, however there is only one exorcism in the new rite and it only talks about “your only Son… to cast out the power of Satan, spirit of...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- New music from the London Oratory: Sacred Treasures of Spain!
- Toxic Masculinity and Sequels
- What a difference a day made
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Author Archives: Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
Last May in Rome, on the steps of Ss. Trinità dei Pellegrini, I ran into Charles Cole, director of the magnificent boys choir at the Brompton Oratory in London. He said that they had a new disc coming of sacred … Continue reading
I just saw this tweet from my friend, the Rush of Madison on WIBA, Vicki McKenna: The new Top Gun had better be teeming with toxic masculinity or I’m not watching. https://t.co/e5zmuRftH0 — Vicki McKenna (@VickiMcKenna) July 19, 2019 A … Continue reading
I’m on the road and I’m having problems with my laptop WiFi. I can see networks, but I can’t connect to any networks, including my mobile hotspot and my mobile phone. It was working well last night. Today, not so … Continue reading
From a reader on Twitter… QUAERITUR: @fatherz Thx for posting about the Taylor Marshall & Fr Nix talk which I also watched. How can we get the Baptism old rite elements supplied? My priests r unaware it’s permitted. Is there … Continue reading
From a reader… Hello Father, Old time follower here (chat room and bird feeders at Sabine Farm). Thought you might find this picture interesting. I’m a cradle Catholic in my 70s and I just unpacked these from old family boxes. … Continue reading
About that strange card game last night. One of you readers wrote: They are playing a game called The Grizzled, which is a tricky cooperative game about soldiers in World War I. You may be interested to know that the … Continue reading
In 1794, the Place de la Nation on the east side of Paris was called the Place du Trône-Renversé… Toppled Throne Square. In 1792 a guillotine was set up here and the killing began. Robespierre and Barère made terror an … Continue reading
I received a note from a long-time reader and comment contributor, Supertradmum … I have been in hospital again because one of my lungs with cancer is failing. This means that the fluid which builds up and was expelled every … Continue reading
I have amazingly clear memories of the whole Apollo 11 mission. Indeed of all the missions before and after, but this and 13 in particular. I received this… From a reader: Today, July 16, is the 50th anniversary of the … Continue reading
I’m in WV for the St. Paul Center (East Coast) conference/retreat for priests in West Virginia. The trek from PIT by shuttle van was uneventful, if a little bumpy. The location for this conference, Oglebay Resort and Conference Center, is impressive. … Continue reading
UPDATE 19 July: Another voice chimes in about Mark Shea. HERE ___ I was amused by this, which provoked some interesting twitter comments. Mark Shea strikes me as… bumfuzzled. Too bad. He had promise. The left has had its time. … Continue reading
A public service announcement for those of you who shop online. At Amazon there are “Prime Day” deals today and tomorrow. You would think that they would call this “Prime Days”. But no. PRIME DAY DEALS For example… And, … Continue reading
I’m heading to a conference for priests held by the St. Paul Center. We shall see. More to come.
I occasionally catch video interviews that Taylor Marshall has with folks who interest me. Today I saw most of a video he did with Fr. David Nix, a good young priest in Denver whom I’ve met. They both are both … Continue reading
UPDATE 15 July 2019: Rev. Mr. Kandra remarked at his blog about this post. He disappoints. The non-canonist deacon disagrees with the canonical arguments of the esteemed canonist Ed Peters. Fine. Kandra can state a position and attempt to defend it. So … Continue reading