Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- robtbrown: Why is McCarrick still a Cardinal?
- robtbrown: At KU I enrolled in a course in Ancient Philosophy taught by a man who was neither Christian nor Jew. When he was speaking about the Sophists, he said they were the sociologis ts of...
- HvonBlumenthal: Would it not help if clergy were required to wear proper cassocks at all times? An SSPX priest of my acquaintan ce tells me it is a remarkably effective aid to staying on the...
- Imrahil: Well, dear Geoffrey, I think you did receive the minor order of acolyte (though not the order of subdeacon) ; the difference is that Church law draws the line between a cleric and a...
- Paul of St Paul: The Rod Dreher story and another of his I found in his twitter feed, + his readerR 17;s comments have opened mine eyes. A man like that could become a prince of the church. And...
- HvonBlumenthal: If the Pope has forgotten that he received a letter, it will not be the first time. Remember Barros?
- stephen c: Well …. the forsaken pagans of Ireland voted for a system where the war between people who want fetuses dead upon demand, on the one side, and on the other side people who want the...
- trespinos: Another military force, another academy, the students of which institutio n will be known as space cadets. (h/t to the droll tweeter whose name I wish I could remember)
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Silence implies consent?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Heterodoxy is a huge red flag. If a priest publicly dissents from the moral law, why should we be surprised to find him failing to conform his life to that same law that he...
- restoration: Hmmm… ;ordained by Cardinal Spellman in 1958. Who wants to bet that Uncle Ted’ s homosexual ity goes all the way back to at least the beginning of his priesthood ? If he was...
- byzantinesteve: I remember that Cardinal Mccarrick was one of the original authors/si gners of the Land O Lakes Statement. He set out to destroy (and succeeded) Catholic higher education in this...
- Charles E Flynn: @Teomatteo : https://ww w.reddit.c om/r/Stanl eyKubrick/ comments/1 n5d2a/a11_ work_and_n o_play_by_ mark_engle rt/ For the record, the talented artist does not believe in this...
- Charles E Flynn: I am waiting to see if anything special happens on day 666.
- richiedel: Dear Anita Moore, T.O.P., I was going to respond to your comment by not responding to it and so prove your point, but then I thought you might think I was ignoring you, but then I...
- Eric: Every bishop that knew and did nothing should resign or be forced to do so. Semi-Chile an Protocol. On the bright side of things, the SSPX is ordaining strong orthodox men today in Virgin...
- Fr. Kelly: Keep praying for Fr. Phillips. As the memo says: We now prayerfull y await the response of His Eminence, Blase Cardinal Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago, for the return of our pastor. Pray...
- MrsMacD: Yay! My heart rejoices. Something told me that it was a wicked injustice. Blessed be God. St. Joseph please pray for Father McCrae. Don’ t forget your priests O Lord, you are all...
- VP: While the priests are made out to be the monsters, the bishops as a group, so many of whom are sexually or otherwise corrupted, are now the real problem. And if the bishops have to sacrif...
- teomatteo: I wouldnR 17;t trust the leadership in the Vatican with my guppy. River or no river.
- Dimitri_Cavalli: Forgot the link, http://dig italarchiv e.wilsonce nter.org/d ocument/11 0705
- Dimitri_Cavalli: The Soviet defector and KGB archivist Vasili Mitrokhin made handwritte n copies and summaries of thousands of documents. A big one is posted online at the Wilson Center Digital...
- The Astronomer: I grew up and then worked for the U.S. Government in Central NJ when “Unc le Ted” held high ecclesial office here. It was an open secret among heterosexu al, orthodox RC...
- Kenneth Wolfe: Father Kelly — When speaking of who may serve as subdeacon at a Missa Solemnis, I don’ t believe there are many people who would interpret “par ticular appropriat e...
- Kenneth Wolfe: “Why were so many journalist s willing to let the rumors go unexplored ?” Ditto for Newark Cardinal “Nig hty Night, Baby. I love you.” ; Has anyone in the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Author Archives: Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
Card. McCarrick. What to say?
I remember that it was Card. McCarrick who suppressed information in a memorandum to US bishops from the Prefect of the Cong. for the Doctrine of the Faith, Joseph Card. Ratzinger, about guidelines for voting in … Continue reading
Everyone in the Chicago area…
You would not make a mistake were you to choose to go to Mass at St. John Cantius on Sunday.
You remember the controversy that surrounded Fr. Frank Phillips of the Canons of St. John Cantius in … Continue reading
Once upon a time there was a Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation that caused a lot of head scratching. And so some Cardinals got together, four in all, and asked the writer of the Exhortation – or rather the Pope whose signature … Continue reading
When I was driving to Michigan for this year’s Acton University, I heard a speech that Pres. Trump gave to a gathering of small business leaders. During that speech he mentioned NASA and the development of the
I heard … Continue reading
From a reader…
I was wondering if you know the rubrics or know where the rubrics for lay instituted acolytes in the EF can be found?
At my parish, we try and do a lot of things in the extraordinary form, and I am … Continue reading
There are some thousand participants from across the globe and many confessions and religion.
The first evening involves checking in, a social hour, supper and an address.
The first evening our speaker addressed us from Venezuela.
She is forbidden to leave Venezuela.
“We don’t … Continue reading
The Fishwrap (National Schismatic Reporter) is all excited about a visit His Holiness will make soon to the World Council of Churches in Geneva for its 70th anniversary. John Paul II and Paul VI both visited the institution. In turn, … Continue reading
Quotes from the article that follows:
Freely to assent to truth is the heart of what it means to be civilized.
A human order is built on fidelity to tradition and principle.
While there are signs of life in various places in the … Continue reading
Thanks for “snail money” as JP called it, and to: GG
Your planet once again is whirling its way towards your solstices, Summer in the North and Winter in the South. Since the emphasis in Western Civilization has been northern, I’ll … Continue reading
It has been awhile since I’ve cooked something interesting for myself. After my trip a few months ago which included Sicily, I’ve had a hankering for Pasta alla Norma. Today I saw that my DVR had picked up the Met’s … Continue reading
This is really interesting. HERE
The Governor of Guam, gave Pres. Trump a brown scapular for the First Lady. And he talks about a statue of Our Lady of Fatima.
Here’s something a little different. Let’s look at the Secret for the 4th Sunday after Pentecost, in the traditional use of the Roman Rite, also used on Saturday of the 4th Week of Lent, which has its Station Mass at San … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard at your Mass of Sunday obligation?
Let us know what it was.
There was a surprise at Commonweal, which generally leans left and against Tradition. It is about a week old, but I missed it: I don’t real Commonweal unless I can’t avoid it.
It starts out with an off-putting reference to the … Continue reading
This is too good not to share.
Corpus Christi may have passed for this year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the reportage, even from years ago.
John XXIII on Corpus Christi 1960. Compare and contrast?