Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said Enough of this.
- The Masked Chicken said Dear Cobbler, You wrote: “Chicken, will this...
- Tony Phillips said In the old rite, servers had an important role. K...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said Father: Scriptural reference for the second antiph...
- Indulgentiam said Thank you for the apology. I will offer you one in...
- Lutgardis said In all seriousness, balloon releases are also frow...
- iamlucky13 said “Hmm. Not quite so fast, OK? Given how many...
- Ideas for Giving Your Children a Vocations' Mindset - Big Pulpit said […] How Did Ad Orientem Worship Go […...
- seattle_cdn said Balloons have their own issues too – when th...
- How did ‘ad orientem’ worship go in the Diocese of Lincoln? | Father Jerabek's Blog said […] How did ‘ad orientem’ worship go in the...
- slainewe said Catholic editorial cartoonists (if there is such a...
- Traductora said This young woman is certainly in a very difficult...
- Dr. Edward Peters said Of course! Proxy puncher! How could I have forgott...
- Ed the Roman said It might be interesting to ask the chancery who ha...
- Wiktor said Ad orientem is a change in the right direction, if...
- bklynse said OK. She “gets it”. But, what can we...
- SaintJude6 said ck and tzard If the employer demanded that a femal...
- Athelstan said I’d think it far preferable for all involved for t...
- Athelstan said Hmm. Not quite so fast, OK? Given how many Eastern...
- HighMass said I agree with Ad Orientem worship! I was Organist p...
- ck said ” Make a good showing – many of us have deal...
- Iacobus M said Ad Orientem worship makes clear that We, together,...
- Athelstan said Meanwhile, in San Francisco, another DefCon 1 medi...
- Athelstan said Hello Tony, Over night we had nothing to do but st...
- asperges said It seems to me we are in sort of re-run of “...
- Sonshine135 said wised: May I suggest a title for said soap opera?:...
- Sonshine135 said Amen! I think the argument that facing the altar w...
- aquinas138 said ejcmartin, you are essentially correct as regards...
- KRD said Tony, I know of several seminarians who would take...
- frjim4321 said That she thinks she could have gotten as much out...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
"Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! Let those who hate him flee before His Holy Face!"
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- More on RABBITGATE
- ACTION ITEM! Help Franciscan Friars!
- Another triumph for peace in our day
- How did ‘ad orientem’ worship go in the Diocese of Lincoln?
- Girl altar servers: a woman’s perspective
- ASK FATHER: Punching the Archbishop after he punches you
- ASK FATHER: Bisexual woman called hypocrite by mother for not accepting sister’s transgender lifestyle
- ASK FATHER: Boss threatens to fire me if I don’t receive Communion.
- Archbp. Cordileone to Nancy Pelosi: No Catholic Can Dissent from Church Teaching on Abortion
- Card. Marx pulls a fast one with the text of ‘Evangelii gaudium’.
- Richard McBrien, RIP. Fishwrap’s encomium.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “Je Suis Charles Martel”
- My View For Awhile: Jiggity Jig
- Francis to new bishops…
- ASK FATHER: When is enough, enough?
- A piece of good news
- WASH DC – DAY 3: Old stuff
- Pope Francis says: GO TO CONFESSION!
- Petition for a Catholic Requiem for King Richard III
- WASH DC – DAY 2: Tickle the Lord Edition
- ASK FATHER: Simple Exposition
- Happy Name Day, Card. Burke!
- WASH DC – DAY 1: March and Pontifical Mass
- A great quote
- My View For Awhile: Yeah… I know….
- If you want peace, DEFEND LIFE!
- Samuel Gregg on Benedict XVI’s Regensburg Address and Islamic Jihadism
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ESOLEN: How to kill vocations – Feminize everything!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Please follow me on Twitter!
Tag Archives: ad orientem
From a reader:
I’ve seen your posts in the past regarding the mistranslation of the Institutio Generalis 299, from which many argue that Holy Mass facing the people is desirable. [GIRM 299 actually says that what is desirable, when possible, is … Continue reading →
From a reader:
Since I have found your blog, I have read it with much interest. You
recently had a post regarding “ad orientem” at Mass. What would be
“proper”/traditional way to have a catholic family pray. We often pray in a circle but … Continue reading →
Several people wrote about this via email and I also saw it posted by the ever-alert folks at Rorate. You will recall the outstanding Bp. Edward Slattery of Tulsa, about whom we have written before. Bp. Slattery stepped in at … Continue reading →
His Excellency Most Rev. Alex Sample of Bishop of Marquette. ‘Nough said.
WDTPRS kudos to Bp. Alex Sample.
This was reported on the site of The Bitter Pill (aka The Tablet).
Priests to face east at ordinariate Masses
21 October 2011
Masses celebrated by priests in the ordinariate are likely to be ad orientem, according to one of its leaders. While … Continue reading →
Amy Welborn had a very interesting entry at her blog, Charlotte Was Both. She writes about a Mass she attended which wound up with the priest as the focus. Here I jump into the middle of her post with my … Continue reading →
From Fr. Martin Fox of Bonfire of the Vanities:
My Experimental ‘Spirit of Vatican II’ Liturgy
Tonight, I did an experiment with the liturgy, in the (true) spirit of Vatican II.
For the Solemnity of the Assumption, we had the schola present; we … Continue reading →
Over a Southern Orders (you may remember their problem with rats) there is an excerpt from an article by my friend Fr. Uwe Michael Lang, CO, who presently works for the CDW in Rome. Fr. Lang has been contributing good … Continue reading →
From a reader:
We were very recently assigned a new priest, and he has only finished his second week at our church. He wanted to make some changes that would put us more in line with the new liturgical movement.
These changes … Continue reading →
From a priest starting ad orientem worship in his parish. Heavily edited:
… [The dean] supports my decision for ad orientem in the Novus Ordo this weekend. It will be in English. He warned me that the bishop will give me … Continue reading →