A prayer for a miracle: the sudden, complete and lasting obliteration of COVID-19
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Joy1985: bobbortoli n That is probably due to skyrocketi ng insurance premiums
- bobbortolin: Sorry about that, “I think they’ ;re awful “
- bobbortolin: My parish as push-butto n, electric votive candles. Personally , I think there awful.
- Joy1985: “Fer retti says: 25 May 2020 at 3:12 PM Votive candles for spiritual intercessi on and grilling steaks and hot dogs. There’s a difference . Napalm? 221; Well what is worse light...
- Fr PJM: A look at the Ordinary of the Mass shows that there is no “exi t antiphon 8221; to which would correspond a replacing hymn or song. So when the priest or deacon says “go in...
- Moro: Honestly, while I am no theologian or canonist, I have to think just having the parents doing the baptism themselves at home would have been an incredible improvemen t. Depending upon the...
- tho: Experienci ng what we once had, and seeing what we have now, is very depressing . Our hierarchy reminds me of the Democrats, telling us that socialism is a viable form of government , in spite...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Yeah, the stupid is already there when it comes to baptisms. We have been inured to stupidity for a good many years. For example, years ago, at the wreckovate d cathed...
- Reflector: Missae coram sanctissim o were indeed common in Austria on “ado ration days” ;, even in the 1970ies in the novus ordo, where a high Mass was sung in the vernacular versus...
- Ferretti: Votive candles for spiritual intercessi on and grilling steaks and hot dogs. There̵ 7;s a difference . Napalm?
- dallenl: Father MartinR 17;s problem is quite comparable to a number of others in this type of situation. They are commenting on matters outside their competence . An example that comes to mind...
- ChrisP: It does seem that God allowed this virus lockdown to show us how bad things have got WORLDWIDE. Idiots and pantomime everywhere , covered by less than scrupulous and caring leaders. And...
- Joy1985: ” when people started lighting candles in church with barbeque lighters 8221; Pardon me but what is wrong with that?
- Andrew Saucci: This sort of stuff should have been nipped in the bud when people started lighting candles in church with barbeque lighters, but since we didn’ ;t condemn it forcefully enough...
- capchoirgirl: Ooooh! I am very much intrigued by the Contraptio n! Also seems like a good thing for smaller kitchens 8230;.I 217;m going to have to check this out.
- MargaretC: Thank you, Father, for answering this question. My own diocese has resumed public masses under very controlled conditions , but our Archbishop has continued the dispensati on from the...
- Elizabeth D: At my parish they have been doing night prayer for parishione rs, via Zoom. I do not have a cellphone/ camera, do not like videoconfe rencing or even conference calling and I do not do...
- Imrahil: Dear Alice, I think theologian s disagree on how much of the Mass one has to attend to fulfill the obligation . They don’ t, strictly speaking. The obligation , as such, is from...
- Joy1985: “The re is no good reason to FOOL AROUND WITH SACRAMENTS !” Exactly Father. Never ever should play around with the Sacraments .
- seattle_cdn: At that distance he could have baptized by aspersio and it would not have raised questions then?
- Kathleen10: God bless baby, and parents. But honestly, this being proposed to parents, how could they approve it? “I 8217;m going to use a water pistol, and aim it at your baby...
- Alice: I think theologian s disagree on how much of the Mass one has to attend to fulfill the obligation . My parents used religion texts that were printed before 1958 for us and I am fairly...
- TomS: Thanks Semper. God Bless! Tom
- Mariana2: Looks wonderful, a thingie you can leave to stir risotto on its own! I’d really like to see page 18 of that booklet. No Tridentine Masses here.
- TonyO: Thank you, Fr. Z. Very clear and practical. To Fr. PJM: Is it possible that the EF and the OF differ in respect of what portion of Mass satisfies for their having been “at Mass...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ASK FATHER: Mass at a side altar during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament? And a short rant.
- 25 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Gregory VII – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- How stupid are things getting in this time of Coronavirus, you ask?
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The Contraption
- Your Sunday after Ascension 2020 Sermon Notes and the Exorcism against Satan and Apostate Angels
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention?
- ACTION ITEM: A tip for receiving Communion on the tongue in time of COVID-1984: HOLD YOUR BREATH!
- Fearmongering @JamesMartinSJ goes to the zoo on national TV about churches reopening and about @RealDonaldTrump
- UPDATE: BAPTISMAL FONT PROJECT – INSTALLATION! Video message to YOU READERS!
- ASK FATHER: What is physically required for the laity to participate at Mass?
- 23 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Giovanni Battista de Rossi – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: Can you fulfill your Sunday Mass obligation during “lockdown” by watching online?
- 22 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Rita of Cascia – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Terrific rant!
- Your Ascension Thursday 2020 Sermon Notes
- Church that refused to close during lock down gets burned down
- Fr. Z with thanks to benefactors and a reminder
- COVID-1984, Your iPhone, and You
- 21 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) for Ascension Thursday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Forty, a poem, and ancient garlic cheese spread
- CELEBRATE! 26th Anniversary of “Ordinatio sacerdotalis”!
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Confuse a liberal
- 20 May – St. “Golden Girl”, Aurea of Ostia and a fascinating Latin inscription
- 20 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) for Rogation Wednesday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: “Why aren’t Masses restarted without Holy Communion?”
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Supper For The Promotion of Clericalism™ – Beef!
- 19 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Peter Celestine – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A new marching cadence in the time of Coronavirus. (Fun.)
- 100th Birthday of St. John Paul II. Wherein Fr. Z muses and reminisces.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 24 January 2009
In this Pauline Year, we should pay attention to the prayers for this great Apostle’s feast. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote for The Wanderer. in honor of the Apostle to the Gentiles let us make a … Continue reading
Last night’s supper was a qualified success. I posted about the line up yesterday, I think. Friends came from far away and so we had a nice meal, a bit fancier than usual. They brought exquisite wine. Including, We used … Continue reading
Reactions to Pres. Obama’s decision. Vatican criticizes Obama on abortion issue VATICAN CITY (AP) — Vatican officials said Saturday they were disappointed by President Barack Obama’s decision to end a ban on federal funding for international groups that perform abortions … Continue reading
From Catholic Vote (catholicvote.com becoming catholicvote.org). This is their first commercial.
When the late Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre decided to consecrate four bishops without the permission of the Holy See back in 1988, some of his priest broke away. Seeking unity with the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, they formed the Priestly … Continue reading
On 25 January 1959 Bl. Pope John XXIII, at the Basilica of St. Paul outside-the-walls, called for a reform of the Code of Canon Law, a Roman synod and … a Council. 50 years ago… tomorrow.
I am seeing a lot of confusion in the wake of the lifting of the excommunications of the bishops of the SSPX. Let’s get some things clear. VERY LITTLE HAS CHANGED JURIDICALLY except in the status of those four bishops. … Continue reading
The SSPX has sent out a letter of explanation to their followers. Let’s have a look with my emphases and comments. Letter of the Superior General of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X Dear faithful, As I announce in … Continue reading
A nice note came from a reader about the expanded use of the so-called "Benedictine Arrangement" of a versus populum altar, that is, placing the candles in a straight line, three and three, and the Crucifix in the center with … Continue reading
Fr. Reginald Foster, famous American Carmelite Latinist who works for the Holy See, is still in the hospital, but he is doing much better. He has visitors who write with the latest news and they sound positive. Fr. Foster was … Continue reading
I had a note from someone with irritating news. I think [Pres.] Obama is going to lift the Mexico City language today, probably around 3 or 4. Classic Clintonesque news dump late on a Friday afternoon. [It’s called "take out … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Ray Blake, PP of St. Mary Magdalen in Brighton, has found a response by Bp. Fellay of the SSPX to the Swedish TV station which broadcast the inflammatory interview with the SSPX bishop Williamson. Click to enlarge. … Continue reading
People of good will can differ on theological points and still remain in unity. People of good will can attain unity even when they disagree on matters which are by no means clear. The history of the Church’s great Councils … Continue reading
It is coooold out there this morning. It is -11F right now, -24C. These low temps tend to bring more birds around. So, the Pine Siskins are back in force! I haven’t seen them for a while. Though there are … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness has some interesting news and comments: This morning, the Holy See has communicated the Decree of the Congregation for Bishops which remits, for the four Bishops ordained by Archbishop Lefevbre, the censure of excommunication declared against them on 1 July … Continue reading