Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Anneliese: Here is a link to the Mass. It was posted on YouTube. Also, my friend is the photo with the Dominicans . He said you sat opposite him during Mass. https://ww w.youtube. com/wat...
- CanukFrank: Terrifical ly eclectic today, Fr.Z, and WOW the Berruguete sure packs a punch!
- TRW: Here’ ;s my pedantic rant: The trouble with trying to address modernity using it’s own terms is that there is not an appropriat e vocabulary one can use to speak about the Transce...
- Hildegard: Gifted my husband with a few bottles last Christmas. Superior beer.
- RLseven: Of course, language expresses content. That’ ;s why the Mass was re-written recently 8211;why we say, “con substantia l,” for instance. The irony of this topic is that...
- Docent: Thanks, Father. It was the late, great Monsignor William Smith (not Mr. Alexander who commented above) who repeatedly warned the faithful that ‘all social engineerin g is preceded by...
- FrankWalshingham: AnyDC gathering of Zed Heads planned? [There was the big gathering at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception today!]
- JabbaPapa: Is this the kind of insidious promotion of a “culture of hate” that take the form of symbols and actions that are typical of Nazism which we are supposed to be reminded therein of the...
- Chris in Maryland 2: Yes, Fr. Z, you are absolutely right: it’s all about content, and your example of the Liturgy is the best example. If it was about language, then “reformers ” like Pope Paul VI...
- Imrahil: Dear scoot, Germans always refer to the Church as “she ”, because grammar makes them do so. The Church is feminine; so are – off the top of my head – forks (knives...
- Ronald of Darlington: My wife and I will be leaving in a little while to attend this Mass. Although my wife has been to several masses in in the extraordin ary form, this will be my first. I am...
- DeGaulle: I wish to second HvonB.
- HvonBlumenthal: Im not sure if it is good etiquette to comment on others’on Fr Z’a blog but not for the first time I personally find TonyO hits the nail on the head, and not for the first time.
- TonyO: Perhaps in Germany it is socially and profession ally impossible to write about Rahner without doling out at least a few items of praise for his work, while (eventuall y) getting around to...
- bourgja: I am very glad that the bishops have approved translatio ns of the Latin hymns of the editio typica for the Liturgy of the Hours. The Mundelein Psalter had already prepared the way for...
- Reflector: Scoot: As to the German use of “it& #8221; or “she ” when referring to the church, let me quote Karl Rahner rejecting (!) heavy left wing criticism against the church:...
- Fr. Kelly: ‘Whe n I use a word,̵ 7; Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.̵ 7; ‘The quest...
- Dad of Six: “As a consequenc e, the Church in Germany today is in adaptation mode. Its bishops are convinced that, in order to be “relevant, ” they need to reform her doctrines and practi...
- Denis Crnkovic: This is an excellent piece that prompted me to write quite a few observatio ns in my journal. I do not have the time to repeat them here, but the gist is that knowing the Faith also...
- Lurker 59: One of the ironies about Vatican II is that the council attempted to make the teachings of the Church “rel evant̶ 1; but the documents were already outdated in their think...
- teomatteo: They pretend it’s about compassion but it’s really about truth.
- Ted: But wasn’ ;t the program of the liturgical movement based on the same suppositio n, that the liturgy needed to be changed in order to be able to speak to “mod ern man” ?...
- HvonBlumenthal: Rahner suffered from the typical middle class arrogance which thinks that modern people are more stupid than their ancestors and working people cannot comprehend educated people. He...
- roma247: Let us take a moment to give thanks for the disaster that was the recent Pan-Amazon synod. It has put into high contrast the fact that it was simply a further (too far) developmen t of the...
- Ivan: Of course! It was and always is about the CONTENT. And the enemy, deceivers and apostates are subverting it with their misusing of – the language. Just look at the new, so-called modern...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- They pretend it’s about language, but in reality it’s about content.
- MY VIEW FOR AWHILE: DC Mass Edition
- Some reading for the road
- The demonic Pachamama idol mess isn’t going to go away
- When life gives you lemons, you can help seminarians
- Some interesting reading for this morning
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
- LATIN MASS MADNESS!!!!
- Archbp. Viganò speaks: “We are in the grip of a religious chaos of gigantic proportion….” – a “satanic plan”
- ASK FATHER: For Communion can I chose to go only to the priest and not the lay ministers?
- Wherein Austen Ivereigh channels his inner Hillary
- FISHWRAP: Piteous tirade about the people who attend the Traditional Latin Mass
- QUINQUENNIUM ALERT – Robert Card. Sarah
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 29 January 2009
Now we must all pray that in the near future men of good will can work out differences with humility and charity towards each other.
I’m chillin’ the Widow!
Some say the burger is the perfect food group. So what’s it gonna be? A hamburger? A cheeseburger? Of course, you can add all sorts of other things, such as lettuce or tomato, or a smear of mustard or mayo. … Continue reading
The traditional Catholic paper The Remnant has a piece by a frequent comment writer here, Brian Mershon, about a possible reconciliation of the SSPX with Rome perhaps by Candlemas, 2 February. I will not parse Mershon’s whole piece, for it … Continue reading
I received this very interesting note from a staffer of a US Congressman whom I will not identify for obvious reasons. I have his permission to share this: My emphases Fr. Z: As a Congressional staffer, I am extremely concerned … Continue reading
The johnny-on-the-spot site Rorate has two good pieces you would do well to look at. First, there is an entry called Cardinal Castrillón: Relevant declarations to Corriere della Sera Also check Corriere. Here is a salient point or two: The … Continue reading
And now… another dog bites man story from a washed up dissenter. This is in from ANSA: Liberation theologian and dissenter Leonardo Boff has determined that the lifting of the excommunications of the four SSPX bishops was a mistake. It … Continue reading
Several alert readers have sent me the following which I finally tracked down to our friends at NLM. Go check them out and spike their stats. The piece says it is from The Catholic Herald, the best Catholic paper in … Continue reading
As I have been writing again and again, people of good will can disagree on really hard questions rising from the Council’s documents on points that are not clear. We can argue about how to approach ecumenism or religious liberty. … Continue reading
More from Brisbane on the renegade priest. Fr. Peter Kennedy and St. Mary’s the renegade parish he has distorted. Check for backgroud here and here and here. For this last bit of dross, check out Coo-ees from the Cloister. There … Continue reading
I understand that NBC is refusing to air the CatholicVote pro-life ad. This is in from Free Republic. According to a Jan. 29 press release from CatholicVote.org, “After several days of negotiations, an NBC representative in Chicago told CatholicVote.org late … Continue reading
From a reader: Yesterday my husband (who teaches in a Catholic school …) was having a discussion with the principal of his school regarding having the children write the general intentions for the school Masses. My husband feels strongly that … Continue reading
An interesting sideshow has popped up in the Italian press following the circus train about the statements of SSPX Bishop Williamson about Jews in WWII. In a story in the Tribuna of Treviso, an SSPX priest stationed in Treviso, Italy, … Continue reading
Many thanks to the kind person who sent the bird bath, which I had listed on my amazon.com list. Alas, there was no invoice, so I don’t know who sent it. Also, I can’t put it out at this time, … Continue reading