SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- You have seen the logo for the 2025 Jubilee?
- 29 June 1972. Paul VI says, “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church of God”
- Francis’ NEW “Desiderium desideravi” an Apostolic Letter “on the liturgical formation of the people of God” – an attempt to explain Traditionis custodes, to calm the storm
- Batten down the hatches!
- ASK FATHER: Are we obliged to avoid businesses which will pay for employees’ abortion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 28: Guess the meat
- In your goodness, pray for falsely accused priests and canceled priests
- ROME 22/06 – Day 26: Indulgences and indulgences
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 13th Sunday)
- ROME 22/06 – Day 25: Really day 26, but… hey!
- ROME 22/06 – Day 24: “talkin’ ’bout my g-g-generation”
- It’s as if the stars aligned on 24 June
- ROME 22/06 – Day 23: Resistance is futile
- On this Feast of the Sacred Heart, when SCOTUS overturned Roe, remember that “Abortion Pill” use will be pushed hard by the Left, and that there is a SAFE REVERSAL after the first pill. @HeartbeatIntl
- US SUPREME COURT issued Opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson – ROE and CASEY OVERTURNED
- “Perdonamose!” St. John’s Birthday Feast and Midsummer Snails
- ASK FATHER: Pork butt for the Sacred Heart
- What do we do when we synodize?
- ASK FATHER: Does the humeral veil contradict in the use of Eucharistic ministers?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 22: “Even in another church St. Rita is sad… about… you know.”
- Vatican Synod’s (“walking together”) on spirituality of synodality (“walking togetherality”) is coming: The merciful heart loves… demons.
- ASK FATHER: What if 100 priests wanted to leave a diocese because of the bishop?
- LOOK! UP IN THE SKY!
- 22 June in the Novus Ordo: St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More
- ASK FATHER: Bishop bully: You have the right to kneel, but not to a kneeler.
- ROME 22/06 – Day 21: Different kinds of pawns
- “The point of entry must always be ‘situatedness’.”
- Too good not to post
- ROME 22/06 – Day 20: Field of flowers
- ASK FATHER: If a Pope dies or resigns before a Consistory for the creation of Cardinals, are the designated men Cardinals or not?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: February 2009
I just had a primordial experience of a deep Northern winter night. Coming back from a walk… out and around… I turned to look the large yellow crescent of the Moon was about to go down beneath the line of … Read More
From FOX: ‘Holy Grail of Comic Books’ Looks to Fetch Six-Figures at Auction Friday, February 27, 2009 An ultra rare copy of the comic book that introduced Superman to the world hits the auction block today and bids could soar … Read More
The great radio personality Paul Harvey has died. He was 90. Paul Harvey added elegance and charm to his news roundups and beautifully told tales.
WDTPRSer BSGers will want to discuss the last episodes. I read an interesting entry at CMR which has a prognostication that seems plausible. We have reached the last few episodes and the writers are beginning to tie up ends. If … Read More
From a reader: In the extraordinary form of the Latin Rite, a priest may vest and serve as a deacon at the celebration of the Mass. Is there general or particular legislation to prevent a priest from vesting and serving … Read More
From last night’s convergence of the Moon and Venus.
I got this from Rorate: Local sources in Argentina confirm that Bishop Alfonso de Galarreta, one of the four bishops of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, will run the Seminary of Our Lady Co-Redemptrix in La Reja, Province … Read More
I received this from a reader. My emphases and comments: I really enjoy your blog and have learned a lot in reading your posts; however, I’m going to stay away for Lent. The comments are just too polarizing; the traditionalists … Read More
WDTPRS Friday after Ash Wednesday – Post communionem (2002MR) I am not sure about the origin of this prayer. It seems to be comprised of prayers in ancient sacramentaries, such as the Gelasian and Veronese and the Hadrianum and Paduense … Read More
Yesterday there was a bit of a blizzard here. It came on in the late afternoon. The wind was blowing hard enough that the chickadees were being blown off their perches. They are quite the aeronauts, however. As darkness came … Read More
ALL: Two things. If there is going to be discussion here, I ask that it be civil. My mood today, and the list of things to do I face, are such that I will simply lock people out of the … Read More
I am reading stories that "the Vatican" has "rejected" Williamson’s recently issued apology. Fr. Lombardi said: …Williamson’s statement "does not seem to respect the conditions" set forth by the Vatican on February 4, when it ordered Williamson to "in an … Read More
From The Times: Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor set to be first Roman Catholic bishop in House of Lords since 16th century
From a reader: Last night the family that I live with recited the Stations of the Cross together in our home. At the end, we prayed for the intentions of the Holy Father and had a discussion about eternal/temporal punishment, … Read More
The indomitable Raphaela has been busy: Hello again Father, Another piece from kath.net, hot off the presses. It seems that the bishop of Linz was called to Rome at short notice, presumably to explain himself. The rest of the Austrian … Read More
Get out your hankies. I received this from the indomitable Raphaela in her translation: “We Are Church” group faces crucial test KATH.NET Excluxive: Vatican II texts threaten to drive wedge into movement Munich (kath.net) The “We Are Church” movement is … Read More
A friend sent the following note, very hope-filled: At San Giovanni in Laterano!! Twice in 5 days! The Pope is prepping up I tell you! I’ll leave it in Italian. The point is plenty clear! The news is from Messa … Read More
An alert friend saw that former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) a pro-life Catholic politician for a change, had comments about the backbone Bp. Martino of Scranton has been revealing in the public square. Mr. Santorum writes an op-ed piece in … Read More
Bishop Martino of Scranton is really defining the issue … AGAIN: Bishop Again Voices Concern Regarding Sen. Casey’sMexico City Policy Vote The following letter has been sent to Sen. Bob Casey: Dear Senator Casey, It is a matter of deep … Read More
His Excellency John Vlazny of Portland, Oregon, has made comments about the lifting of the excommunications of the four SSPX bishops. Let’s have a look with my emphases and comments. All in the familyBy Archbishop John Vlazny The first two weekends … Read More