Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LIVE VIDEO – 16 Jan 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Marcellus, Pope, Martyr (Intention: benefactors)
- Daily Rome Shot 52
- ASK FATHER: Can I be a Catholic AND a Libertarian?
- Wherein Fr. Z gives an update about life and changes
- ASK FATHER: Why isn’t there a paper book with the Sunday propers in Latin and English?
- Another sign of the times
- Daily Rome Shot 51
- Question for readers: book search
- LIVE VIDEO – 15 Jan 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Paul, Hermit (Intention: benefactors)
- 14 January – Festum Asinorum #FeastoftheAss Day!
- Daily Rome Shot 50
- Various prayers or “Orationes diversae” in the traditional Missale Romanum
- WDTPRS: Collect for the Votive Mass “to beg the grace of dying well”
- LIVE VIDEO – 13 Jan 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Baptism of the Lord (Intention: benefactors)
- Daily Rome Shot 49
- ISS NEWS: 4 at once!
- WDTPRS: Prayer for enemies – Part III
- ASK FATHER: Help for a blind priest who wants to learn the Traditional Latin Mass – UPDATED
- LIVE VIDEO – 12 Jan 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive for the grace of a good death
- “Ab arbore autem fici discite parabolam…”
- WDTPRS: Prayer for enemies – Part II
- ASK FATHER: Baptism by immersion but water didn’t touch the head
- LIVE VIDEO – 11 Jan 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive for whatever necessity
- Daily Rome Shot 47
- Fr. Z kudos for a great idea about abandoned churches
- CQ CQ CQ: #HamRadio – 10 Jan – Sunday ZedNet reminder & Fr. Z makes a suggestion
- LIVE VIDEO – 9 Jan 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Holy Family
- Daily Rome Shot 46
- Did you think you would see something in your lifetime like this?
- ASK FATHER: What is the Church’s role in creating the cancel culture?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 19 February 2006
The language of Latin prayers is quite different from our ordinary speech these days. One of the things you will notice right away is that it is “courtly”: the language immediately differentiates between the addressee and the speaker. The incomparable Lewis & Short Dictionary reveals that our term maiestas means “greatness, grandeur, dignity, majesty” and furthermore it is used “of the gods; also the condition of men in high station, as kings, consuls, senators, knights, etc., and, in republican states, especially frequently of the people”. One of the greatest crimes in ancient Rome was to harm or diminish the maiestas of the people, high treason: majestatem minuere or laedere… laesa maiestas. In English we use the French version, “lese-majestÃƒÂ©”. Continue reading
By our baptism and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we can be admitted to Holy Communion. It is by our baptism that we are enabled to participate at Mass with “full, conscious, and active” participation, with what I call “active receptivity”. “Active participation” reaches its perfection in a good Holy Communion. Communion, however, is never to be isolated from the rest of our lives. Continue reading