Check out Card. Pell with His Hermeneuticalness in Oxford.
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “I kind of understand why our dear Fr. Z put in the last option to vote for: my church has…”
- mrs wu on Zoink!: “https://www.wga.hu/art/l/lotto/5/06annun1.jpg Lorenzo Lotto’s Annunciation, because….cat. Also, her face! Imagine what went through her mind as she knew what was asked…”
- JPCahill on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: ““all statues and images that could be were covered or veiled.” Indeed. And some things were covered that I didn’t…”
- Charivari Rob on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “lfandrew, veiling a couple of days early sounds entirely reasonable to me. — I visited a different parish this Sunday…”
- Rod Halvorsen on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “SSPX. Veiled.”
- L. on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Our pastor said that the veiling starts after the last Mass today.”
- Midwest St. Michael on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “You are correct, Sandy. Mrs. Steichen wrote Ungodly Rage.”
- jflare29 on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “redneckpride4ever, I’d say that seems to me an excellent example of prudence. I’m not ecstatic about some of the theological…”
- Cornelius on WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes: “I’ve always preferred, “Oh God, you are so big. Help us be big like you””
- lfandrew on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “I have a dilemma in our church every year (I am the sacristan, so one of my duties is veiling…”
- makreitzer on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “I attend the SSPX chapel in Linden, VA. All the statues were covered and we had catechism after Mass with…”
- Suburbanbanshee on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Thank you for explaining the “Jesus hid Himself” quote in relation to this custom! That is really cool! Sure enough,…”
- Suburbanbanshee on Zoink!: “Is it me, or are the little human figures on the sides of the fireplace also the donors?”
- Sandy on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “This is parallel to a story in “Ungodly Rage” by Steichen (I think I have that right, from memory). It’s…”
- redneckpride4ever on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “I’d wager I’ll see everything veiled today. Its an SSPX chapel I attend after all. I’ll vote after Mass. On…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!
- POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes
- Daily Rome Shot 701
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 33: 1st Passion Sunday – Passiontide begins
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 32: Saturday 4th Week – Annunciation
- MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
- Daily Rome Shot 700
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 31: Friday 4th Week – Dead but rising
- Daily Rome Shot 698
- Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 30: Thursday 4th Week – Eternal death and YOU – CORRECTED
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: 4th Sunday of Lent – Joy
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
That pic will get those tongues wagging at the Bitter Pill. Bravo!
All I can say is that I totally wish Cardinal Pell (or His Hermeneuticalness) was my ordinary.
Is the Cardinal saying something like this:
“Sede a dextris meis, donec ponam inimícos tuos, scabéllum pedum tuórum.”?
I read that the Cardinal celebrated Mass for the beatification of Cardinal Newman at teh Oratory. This seems rather timely.
It seems that the casue has become stuck (some say its finished) either because of a problem in attributing the alledged miracle to the Cardinal’s intercession, or because that Rome is worried that some US groups are promoting Newman as the first gay saint.
Lets hope that Cardinal’s Pell’s Mass straightens things out.
The relatively diminutive Fr Finigan hoping the giant +Pell will protect him from another pounding. :-)
So, Fr. Finigan saw the picture of the cardinal in Fr. Z’s back yard and he just had to play the game of one-upmanship, didn’t he.
I think the good Cardinal is saying…
“Come up higher, brother!” :-)
I’m reminded of the story Archbishop Sheen told in his autobiography, Treasures in Clay. It was well known that there was tension between Sheen and Cardinal Spellman. One day, at the end of an audience with Pope John XXIII, the Holy Father turned to Sheen and said something like, “And now we will bring in a photographer and have a picture taken. IT WILL MAKE SPELLMAN JEALOUS!”
This picture will be treasured by Fr. Finigan, and raise the ire of others.
Re: Cardinal Newman:
I think this pic demands some “retouching” by our friend Vincenzo. Something like putting a copy of “The Bitter Pill” in H.E.’s hands, along with a pithy caption.
The final 2 contenders for Abp. of Westminster.
Interesting that Cardinal Pell (rather absurdly tipped as a successor to Westminster) is officiating at events in the archdiocese of Birmingham, attended by Fr Finigan (a hugely popular, but unlikely, ‘name-in-the-frame’ for Westminster), at the same time as the Archbishop of Birmingham (tipped as the most likely candidate for W.) is visiting various exalted places in Rome. All taking place while the rumour mill has it that the announcmenet could be expected anytime time soon. Just adding to the fun of the gossip-shop – nothing else!
On a related note, clearly the archbishop of Birmingham was happy to have the Cardinal visit his diocese and officiate at liturgical events – unlike the current incumbent of Westminster, who invoked Canon Law to prevent Archbishop Burke from saying Mass there.
Well well well, Cardinal Pell on an extended visit to Oxford and the Uk prior to meetings
in Rome this week. And it is only matter of time until the next Archbishop of Westminster
is announced by the Holy Father. Was the cardinal (who looks like Woolsey perhaps, though
one never knows), having a look around in the Uk before the big announcement date comes up?
Not really. I suspect that the pontiff may well name a surprise this time as was the naming of Basil Hume years ago. It’s about time we had some genuine episcopal surprises from the vatican. Paul VI mad some great surprise appointments which were all well received and made
an impact. Will he pull an episcopal rabbit out of the hat and surprise us all, especially
those ‘leading bishops’ who anxiously await the letter from the Nuncio and who hope perhaps
their’s is the next red hat for Westminster?
Well, we will all have to wait, to either before or after Easter – isn’t it just tantalising? My fear is that Rome does not quite know what to do, as it seems to have been dawdling on this
appointment just as it did for New York? Well, perhaps one or more may have rejected the
Pell – no way is he going to be transferred to Westminster. Never in a month of Sundays. No he will be there a few more years in Sydney, then translated to the Curia for a few years as head of a department. Loyal son of the Church, but never destined for the papacy I predict.
Here’s another possible caption from Cardinal Pell:
“Why oh why, Neo, didn’t I take the blue pill?” ;-)
Is there any precedent in the Church for translating a cardinal from one country to another? Just curious. Anyway, the two of them look so orthodox, so great together! Tom
Tom – the prohibition of Archbishop Burke from pontificating in Westminster is nothing to do with any hate of TLM, but with the appalling behaviour of committee members and employees of the Latin Mass Society.
David Andrew: Vincenzo has already made some interesting re-touches to this photo on his blog.
Not sure what Fr Z thinks about his new position, however.
I didn’t realize that Cardinal Pell was that big. Maybe he should trow his weight around a little more throughout the entire Church.
Sorry, meant to say “throw” rather than “trow.” “H” and “I” stick on my keyboard sometimes. LOL.
>>>>I didn’t realize that Cardinal Pell was that big.<<<<
His biography (written by Tess Livingstone) tells the story of his teen years playing rugby.
Fr. Toborowsky: Thanks for the info! I try to get it.
Apparently. the “L” doesn’t work right either. My previous post should say “I’ll try” rather than “I try.” LOL!
Fr Toborowsky, Pell played Australian Football, not Rugby!
He was so good that he was signed by the Richmond Tigers* at 18 to play as a pro.
In the end, he decided to go to the seminary instead. Deo gratias.
*Team motto: ‘Eat ‘Em Alive’
I love having +Pell as my ordinary. :P
Greatest Australian churchman since Arch Mannix.
Cardinal Pell is also my ordinary :-)
I saw Vincenzo’s picture-I nearly LOL’d in the library!
It was priceless-Fr. Finigan in cardinal’s robes and Fr. Z sitting next to him!
Vincenzo is soooo creative!