About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- KateD: Oh! This is beautiful! Like Russian Lüftlmaler ei.
- dbonneville: And if St. Malachi was right, and Peter is the last pope, maybe we have the real Peter going back to Rome having fled for fear of the wolves(f) in the mirror. Can a pope who is no...
- OrdoMilitaris: The ecstatic vision of the Divine Substance which is given immediatel y to Christ on account of the Hypostatic Union of the Divine Person with the perfect Humanity, as well as the...
- NB: I really like JP2 (even though it gets me in a lot of trouble in Trad circles, and yes, I know he wasn’ ;t perfect). I shared the Santo Subito sentiments at his death, but if his canoniz...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I’ve always been puzzled at the question: Why the quotation marks? Lucia̵ 7;s descriptio n seems to be borrowing words from somewhere, and I can’ t fathom who...
- roma247: Keep in mind that, during the era in which Sister Lucia was writing, mirrors were not as perfect and smooth and reflective as they came to be after the 1970s, when techniques for vacuum...
- Cy: Mirrors create a replica, a second. Mirrors also invert; right as left and left as right. Is the behavior of “the two popes̶ 1; also inverted in ways bearing on fidelity, faith, and...
- hilltop: Father Zed, I like this reading of the difficult bold text. It helps to explain the mystery that Lucia seems also to have in communicat ing the vision – she seems to not underst...
- Bthompson: This may also be a misunderst anding, but I would appreciate it if someone more knowledgea ble than I had insight: I had the understand ing not so much that a new mother was not allowed...
- monstrance: Then why does Benedict wear white ? One of the more humble men to have served in the Vatican. Perhaps at the request of Francis. A good question for his next sit down interview.
- arga: I interprete d the reference to a mirror as referring to the way the bishop in white actually looked — as if his image were reflected in a mirror, not that there were two of them. On...
- Stepheno: Recently it occurred to me that B16’s White cassock is a clear non-verbal message to the world. It’s so weird. The mirror image seems directed at the two popes. Not the clarity in God.
- Mugwump: My favorite: If at first you don’ t succeed, you must try, try again. But you will lose anywayR 30;
- Fr_Sotelo: So, Lucia̵ 7;s phrase of “how people appear in a mirrorR 21; may refer to two popes? One who is pope, and one who appears to be pope? This would be plausible, to me, if she...
- Diane: I had a visit with my Doctor in Milwaukee last Friday. After a CT Scan and X-ray he informed me that I am now cancer free! And now I don’ t have to see him for six months! Thanks be to...
- Ferretti: My question would be what happens to the Sainthood of John XXIII, Paul VI, and John Paul II if Pope Francis is bogus? Not to mention many other things. St. Francis of Assisi said someth...
- Mario Bird: Before I retreat, please let me set the record straight: 1. I am a big fan of Fr. RutlerR 17;s, have read three of his books, and– unlike Falstaff, who was offended by virtue...
- bourgja: Kevin Symonds is among the world̵ 7;s top scholarly researcher s of the Fatima apparition s, and the words of Sr. Lucia seem to indicate that she is offering an analogy (“...
- hwriggles4: A few years ago, I watched a “Qui ncy, M.E.” ; rerun where a priest was introduced as an Archbishop and I laughed because he wasn’ ;t wearing the cross with his cleri...
- KateD: Perhaps the chasuble is on correctly, but the head’s not screwed on right? Seriously though, regarding Blue Bloods maybe that’s how they do Catholicis m in NY. Up is down, Left is Right,...
- adriennep: Mr. Bird, sir, you are no Father Rutler. When you find out who you are, please do let us know.
- teachermom24: I first heard of this ceremony in the 1970s when at a Lutheran university . I thought it was beautiful then and would loved to have received such a blessing after the births of my...
- sendero: I was always bothered by that descriptio n of Lucia as it made no sense whatsoever when it was released to the public by Bertone. Much later, when Francis referred to himself as the...
- hwriggles4: Blue Bloods is one of the few shows I watch regularly. I do like how Henry Reagan (Len Cariou) openly discusses volunteer work at church and addresses his son as “Fra ncis....
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Didn’ ;t see the series. But are these supposed to be Catholics or Anglicans? Either way, shame, shame, shame . . .
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- A troubling, curious point in the Third Secret of Fátima
- Wherein Fr. Rutler hits for six
- ASK FATHER: The “churching” of women after childbirth and the blessing of expecting mothers
- Too often TV and film directors and designers get Catholic thing wrong, absurdly so.
- Your Good News
- Death, #KobeBryant, and You
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd after Epiphany (TLM) & 3rd Ordinary (NO) 2020
- VIDEO: Doing something
- My View For Awhile: Staunton Edition
- 450K-500K estimated at 2020 March For Life
- Washington DC DAYS 2-3: Motus and POTUS
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio Thursday – ZedNet reminder and a throat tightener
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: April 2009
So… Souter first?
On this feast of St. Pope Pius V (+1572) I drill into one of his most famous acts as Roman Pontiff. Today we look into and listen to his Apostolic Constitution Quo primum, by which he promulgated the editio princeps … Continue reading
Many less predictable things have happened. I don’t know who wrote/translated this, for the English is not without its problems. This is from CathNews. Agca says he is now a CatholicPublished: April 30, 2009 In a letter written from a … Continue reading
Pope Benedict’s general prayer intention for May is: "That the laity and the Christian communities may be responsible promoters of priestly and religious vocations." His mission intention is: "That the recently founded Catholic Churches, grateful to the Lord for the … Continue reading
From a reader in Mexico, a followup on the question about reception of Communion during an epidemic: I would like to start by saying thanks for the answer you gave me about Communion in time of epidemics and also specially … Continue reading
Have you ever put a message in a bottle and thrown it into the ocean? Buried it to be retrieved later? Or not? Message in a bottle from the HolocaustOn September 9, 1944 seven young men buried a message in … Continue reading
I am all for an identifiable Catholic presence in the public square. That said, this group is becoming more and more divisive: Catholic Democrats. Here is their latest defense of Notre Shame, which involves the denigration of Amb. Mary Ann … Continue reading
From The Black Biretta, the blog of Fr. Trigilio: Tiberius (Gaius Claudius Nero Caesar) on his imperial throne looking at Fr. Z’s scrumptious aviary friends
His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas Tobin, Bishop of Providence, has something to say in the Rhode Island Catholic. The usual methods of social re-engineering include what I call "creeping incrementalism". You start slowly, not trying to attain everything you aim … Continue reading
From CNN. Priest forgives suspect in confessional stabbing By Rich PhillipsCNN Senior Producer VERO BEACH, Florida (CNN) — The Rev. Michael Massaro says he has a few aches and pains, but a good night’s sleep has done him some good … Continue reading
From a reader: Mass at the Little Sisters of the Poor, NewcastleTonight there will be a Missa Cantata in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite at the chapel of the Little Sisters of the Poor, Westmorland Road, Newcastle at … Continue reading
Many people are e-mailing me about Bishop Finn’s keynote address at the Second Annual Gospel of Life Convention. Yes, folks. I know. I wrote about this over a week ago here: Bp. Finn: “We are at war”
From CNA: Pro-lifers assaulted while collecting signatures against abortion Madrid, Spain, Apr 28, 2009 / 03:24 pm (CNA).- On Saturday, April 25, three volunteers of the Right to Life organization and a Chilean in the town of El Ferrol were … Continue reading
From a reader about the Vidi Aquam and Asperges… not to be confused with the wonderful vegetable: At nearly every single High Mass I have attended, whether FSSP, ICR or SSPX, including most diocesan TLMs, the High Mass is preceded … Continue reading