I ask some prayers when you think of it over the next few days.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: This is great: “I shot him a blessing, sign of the Cross, and then flashed a thumbs up, which he immediatel y flashed back.̶ 1; Last October Atty. Gen. Barr gave a speech on...
- majuscule: My struggling rural mission church is going to be the site of a Mission Youth Holy Week project. They will be helping to renovate the grounds and initiate a spark in our lagging commun...
- ajf1984: EF Mass at the local ICKSP Oratory here in town. Canon mentioned, among other things, the importance and beauty of the Sacrament of Penance and reminded us that some of the most beauti...
- Emsley: Perhaps “par tem” also contains some wordplay, being similar to “par tum” (partus, partus-off spring): your (God’ ;s) party, but her (the motherR 17;s)...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Well, they get law and courtroom stuff wrong all the time, why not get Church stuff wrong too? News reporters who cover cases in the courtroom often don’ t bother to...
- jflare29: Ahem! Given the general degree of catechesis amongst Catholics, … RE the chasuble: How many people even noticed? RE the “con fession 221; during Blue Bloods: Same quest...
- Midland Deacon: I take great exception to the individual who said about the Catholic Charismati c Renewal “You ’re far more likely to wind up with a demon than anything benign, let alone...
- adriennep: Father, you are missing a fabulous opportunit y to be a paid “Catholic consultant ” on this show. Honestly, they have to pay for and credit everything . You should write to them immedi...
- sibnao: Speaking of Blue Bloods, there was a truly awful example of this problem several seasons ago. The female detective is trying to get the suspect to open up, and she knows he is Catholic. She...
- jaykay: I recall a history programme on a British channel back at least 10 years ago where they showed a reenactmen t of medieval people in church, and although the costumes were correct for the...
- jaykay: Excellent news, Brian D. Along the lines of your ” if you build it…& #8221; we have had a large number of enquiries for our Chartres pilgrimage chapter, building on last year...
- JPCahill: And the chasuble is worn over a surplice. With a tippet over that. And the other fellow seems to have a hanger still in the back of his hood. There is an episode of the old “...
- Eamonn Gaines: I remember the execrable film Chocolat had a scene where the curé preaches at Mass in rural France on Easter Sunday wearing a cassock, surplice, chasuble and stole on top! Of course,...
- GHP: The wallet looks familiar (and well-used) …. is it holding up under daily use? — Guy [Yes, indeed. It is a overly wide, so I fold over the flap a little farther and, hence, can...
- bobbird: We had both area parish priests show up for January 22 picketing on a busy street corner near the abortionis t’s office. He performs roughly one a week. We usually make our prese...
- GHP: Fr Z sez: …The y get things so wrong that you want to throw things at the screen. … I just used your Amazon link to send this to you. Pack of 3; share with other priests! HERE...
- Suburbanbanshee: The little university chapel I attend is going from strength to strength, as the new pastor is following up on the work of his predecesso rs by making the place even more beautif...
- L.: Why should film directors and designers be expected to do any better than so many Catholic clerics? [Good point.]
- moosix1974: That is seriously embarrassi ng. Truly.
- scoot: Next thing you know they’ ;ll be pouring soup into a biretta. Hollyweird !
- Bryan D. Boyle: Good news? Lots, and I fear I would fill up your database with just the tip of the iceberg. Building on your support over the past 18 months regarding the restoratio n of the shrine...
- Anneliese: I have no good news of my own but I know of others who have good things happening. My friends are expecting their fourth child at the end of May. Their third boy. Pray for them all...
- acardnal: I started using a password manager about six months ago after doing a lot of research. I am very pleased with its operation and the fact that all of my passwords are long, strong and...
- Bev: Our sermon was more of a preparatio n for a grim future where there are many fewer priests. Within the diocese, in 10 years, over half the current priests are expected to be dead or retired...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Yorkmum says: began with the words “Save the Liturgy, Save the World” I’m sure it was brilliant, after such a good start!
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- A troubling, curious point in the Third Secret of Fátima
- URGENT REQUEST TO PRIESTS: someone needs a novena of TLMs for an intention
- Wherein Fr. Rutler hits for six
- ASK FATHER: The “churching” of women after childbirth and the blessing of expecting mothers
- Too often TV and film directors and designers get Catholic thing wrong, absurdly so.
- Your Good News
- Death, #KobeBryant, and You
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd after Epiphany (TLM) & 3rd Ordinary (NO) 2020
- VIDEO: Doing something
- My View For Awhile: Staunton Edition
- 450K-500K estimated at 2020 March For Life
- Washington DC DAYS 2-3: Motus and POTUS
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.