"If the Church were to accommodate herself to the world in any way that would entail a turning away from the Cross, this would not lead to a renewal of the Church, but only to her death."
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- ProfessorCover on Missae pro Missa Update: News release for traditional Catholic media: “One thing I have often wondered about is how one makes something his intention for a Mass. I typically pray…”
- acardnal on 1993 – 30 years ago when Mother Angelica declared war: “And don’t forget those pesky labyrinths are still around, too.”
- Benedict Joseph on 1993 – 30 years ago when Mother Angelica declared war: “You are getting old, Father, it wasn’t twenty years ago but thirty, even though it does feel like yesterday. I…”
- Charivari Rob on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “Eegarding “important errands” and the Flatbush Avenue exit sign: while baseball and Opening Day are indeed important, I regret to…”
- PostCatholic on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “Particulate matter (dirt, dust, smoke etc) from the airfield or encountered in flight, even tiny, plus the friction inherent in…”
- InFormationDiakonia on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “Viaggio sicuro Padre Z!”
- Gregg the Obscure on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “safe and happy travels!”
- JonPatrick on LENTCAzT 2023 – 38: Friday Passiontide – Our Lady of Sorrows: “Thank you Father. It is sad that the Novus Ordo, in both its missal and breviary omits any mention of…”
- Kathleen10 on Daily Rome Shot 704: “We appreciate the Rome posters, they give a lift to Catholics all over the world. We have no voice, Rome…”
- threej on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “Q-a3!. If K-d2, then Qxc3. If K-b1, then Bxc3.”
- WVC on Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks: “I thought of: 1. . . . Qa3+ 2. Kd2 Bc3+ 3. . . . Bxe1 But I don’t know…”
- deaconjohn1987 on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “Now I’m homesick after looking at these photos. I was ordained for the Diocese of Brooklyn on April 25th, 1987.…”
- ArsAstronautica on UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn: “As to the scratched windows, there are TWO theories. #1 If the scratches are on the inside, those are from…”
- SophiaGrace on LENTCAzT 2023 – 37: Thursday Passiontide – The counterpart to the Prodigal Son: “Thank you, Father, for these LENTCAzTS. From a genuine laugh at “humbly accepted care of it” regarding the station church…”
- Cliff on Daily Rome Shot 704: “1. Bc4+ Rf7 (Kg8 would be suicide by Kg6#) 2. Kxf7 . . . 3. Ke5 . . . 4.…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- My View For Awhile: ROMANES EUNT DOMUS!
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-31 – Meeting with clergy
- 1993 – 30 years ago when Mother Angelica declared war
- Daily Rome Shot 706
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 38: Friday Passiontide – Our Lady of Sorrows
- Daily Rome Shot 705 with additional thanks
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 37: Thursday Passiontide – The counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- UPDATED – My View For Awhile: deepest darkest Brooklyn
- Missae pro Missa Update: News release for traditional Catholic media
- Daily Rome Shot 704
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 36: Wednesday Passiontide – There are only two camps
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-28 – A trip to the convent
- Daily Rome Shot 703
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 35: Tuesday Passiontide – When the hour comes
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images
- Daily Rome Shot 702
- FOR SALE
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!
- POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes
- Daily Rome Shot 701
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 33: 1st Passion Sunday – Passiontide begins
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 32: Saturday 4th Week – Annunciation
- MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
- Daily Rome Shot 700
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
“in any way” , how does this phrase reconcile with the hundreds and hundreds of statements from Pope Paul VI, Bishops and Priests both during and after the Second Vatican Council, when it was so often said “the Church must open herself (accommodate) to the modern world”? The entire NO Mass was writeen in a way to drop it Catholocity, no? That surely is turning away from the cross, but I am sure many will argue a loophole or split hairs saying well, not really. Turning to face the people, with a Priest back to the cross could be interpreted as such as well.Not only the numerous examples of how it has happened but the statements of the hierarchy did and sometimes still do involve the exact opposite of what the Pope says. That is one of the biggest problem today is the ambiguous or contradictory statements coming from Rome and the hierarchy that lay people just don’t have the stomach to “finesse them” into a hermeneutic of continuity. We just want clear, concise, no loophole interpretive statements.
Where did Car. Ratzinger write this wonderful assertion ?
Wonderful quote. Where does it appear in his writings?
The protestants turned from the Cross and we can see where it has led. A Crossless Christianity, Archbishop Sheen called it. And how many expensive, ugly, barren modern Catholic Churches have no Crucifix other than the required processional one? How many only have an image of the Risen Christ? We indeed must also preach and pray as did St. Paul who knew Christ and Him crucified.
Blaming the protestants isn’t the answer to everything, JosephMary. The contemporary Catholic church does a whale of a job denying the cross too.
Amen! It’s time that people start facing up and adhering to what the Church teaches, whether they like it or not. And those in authority need to charitably use it to show people the truth. Without compromise!
“to accommodate herself to the world”
I just returned from 11:30 Mass in my parish. Children’s choir (God bless them) sang mostly treacly-sweet songs, though a few were ok. No Latin at all. At the closing prayer, our Pastor scrubbed the closing (“The Lord be with you.”) to bring to our attention the GREAT singing today, and so we all applauded the choir. Then, after he processed out, we applauded again.
I feel utterly helpless here. I don’t know our paster personally–he’s new–but I wanted to say, “Father do you realize the Pope considers applause at Mass completely unacceptable, as it shows a serious misunderstanding about what the Mass is?”
Thank God I resisted the temptation, and just left w. my kids.
This “accomodation” is as pernicious as ditching “Veritatis Splendor” as I see it. The sober, but joyful, chaste beauty of our liturgy has been upended for a Disney-style celebration that veils the REAL PRESENCE of our Risen Lord.
Amen to that quote of our Papa when he was a Cardinal!
It says it all!
We need to watch our language here – or more precisely our use of language.
“Open to” does not necessarily mean “accommodate” (it might be to some, not to others including me)
The Church is indefectible. hence it cannot turn away from the Cross, for the Body of Christ hung on that cross once for all.
And the Church cannot die, so what is Papa Ratzinger saying? (what’s the context?) [If memory serves, this was in the context of an examination of the overly anthropocentric tone of Gaudium et spes, which can go very wrong when the proper corrective paragraphs do not correct the false reading.]
Modernism (as defined) and the abuse of “higher” Biblical criticism go back to the turn of the 20th Century. Post-modernism, with its lack of objective truth, may be easier to attack. The Church has been successful against both with its emphasis on objective truth.
But readers may want to remember that the organized Church has been under attack since even before it was big enough to be organized. There’s no need to be surprised.
Could you please help me a second, and please understand I’m not trying to criticize you? First, I agree with the Holy Father and with you, in that I believe applause is inappropriate at Mass, especially when the bloody “music ministers” are applauded.
Why is it, then, that the Holy Father is surrounded by applause whenever he offers Mass in the open? I remember his first Christmas Eve Mass as Pope, and there was applause everywhere at the conclusion of Mass.
Mike, could you help me, here, and can anyone reading enlighten me? I’m being serious; I’m not trying to cause trouble, be disrespectful or start a fight. I mean no harm.
Bob–no problem, although I have never been to a Mass with the Holy Father present. My sense, from what you say, and from experience of Masses w. Cardinals present, etc., is that specifically applauding the music of a liturgy is what the problem is, for it’s an offering, an act of worship, of prayer. As my 14 yr old son says, we don’t applaud after praying (“good prayer, man”).
Applause for B16, for his presence, his words in a homily, is in a separate category. That’s how I see it, although I may be off here.
I wonder if Sr. Keehan of the Catholic Health Ass’n. would be able to offer any plausible rationalizations of how this quote might
not apply to her organization. From the post above describing the CHA’s endorsement of the current health care legislation, I’d
say “Sr. Accommodation” should have been her name in religion.