Fr. Sean Finnegan has a fine tribute to the late Fr. Hugh Thwaites, SJ, who died recently. Here is how Fr. Finnegan’s piece concludes:
There are so many of us who owe Fr Hugh so much. I will never forget him and the lessons I learnt from him. Especially:
1) That hell is real, and a greater possibility for us who are pastors of the Lord’s flock.
2) That all souls are created in the image and likeness of God, and have equal value.
3) That prayer is much more than the acquisition of a technique; it is not something one has to be ‘good at’; it is something one simply must do.
4) The importance of the rosary
5) The importance of acquiring the virtue of humility.
I feel I want to close with the customary ‘May his soul rest in peace’. But, like Cæsar Baronius after the death of St Philip Neri, there is something that sticks in my throat about it in this instance. I have already begun to ask his prayers, and have already begun to receive an answer in one case……