About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- semperficatholic: “Bry ant and his wife have been reported to be regular parishione rs at an Orange County, California parish, and after his death, some on social media said that he had been...
- Kevin: Definitely , a tragic accident! And I’m so pleased to read that he was a practicing Catholic and receiving the Sacraments regularly. I will pray for him and his daughter. I do think...
- bookworm: OT but something you’ d appreciate : a (satirical , at least for now) post from The American Catholic titled “Ass ault Rosaries Banned in Virginia 8221;. https://ww w.the-...
- Yorkmum: Our sermon, 3rd after Epiphany, began with the words “Save the Liturgy, Save the World” and then followed a beautiful exposition to help people enter into the mystery of Holy Mass in the...
- monstrance: APX- There is a much greater chance of death in your automobile than in an airliner.
- Father G: @codycarve r, Yes, there are several FB posts using that quote attributed to Father Barnes, but when I checked his Twitter page, this what he actually wrote: “A friend texted me...
- The Egyptian: monstrance I was thinking the same thing, some of the “rec ovatedR 21; post VII churches could use the talents of these guys, imagine the face of Christ as posted here on the...
- Shonkin: A parish where I lived 1991-1999 was very trendy. They commission ed a set of chalices made by a local artist. Horrible! Not only were they ceramic; they were UNGLAZED ceramic, so that the...
- The Egyptian: https://ww w.breitbar t.com/spor ts/2020/01 /26/how-ko be-bryants -catholic- faith-help ed-him-tur n-his-life -around/ A VERY respectful article at Breitbart about Kobe’ ;s faith...
- Shonkin: Back during the mid-Sevent ies my wife and I ate a few times at a Chinese restaurant that gave out fortune cookies quoting the famous philosophe r Fu Ling Yu. Every one of them was very...
- APX: This is why I don’t get on a plane without going to confession . As long as I’m in a good state to go, and fine with going.
- Kathleen10: My husband is a certifiabl e sports nut, and did not know Kobe Bryant was a practicing Catholic who credited a priest with helping him turn his life around after his unfortunat e...
- codycarver: I saw this post earlier on FB. “As sad as Kobe’s death is, a friend texted me today to tell me that a friend of her’s attends the same Catholic Church as Kobe and saw him this...
- Sportsfan: This was my 10th time to the march and it was the biggest crowd I have ever seen. I’d say 500K is a good estimate.
- robert hightower: Thanks Father and all the other priests for sober reminders and providing ample access to these sacraments .
- DCLex: Holy Comforter St. Cyprian 9am Pontifical Low Mass with Cdl. Burke was packed as well. That bar across from St. Mary’ ;s, the Irish Channel , is considered to serve the best pint of...
- tho: No matter what they say about President Trump, since he became our president, he has become a class act. I was going to sign off MAGA 2020, but I thought it might look chintzy.
- Grateful to be Catholic: It was truly a great day with the biggest March ever, President Trump̵ 7;s speech, the Nellie Gray Mass at St. Mary’ ;s packed and overflowin g, then good to see...
- Gab: Through your many posts about Confession and reminders to Go to Confession , thank you, Father. You have helped me, and I’m sure many other souls, to go to Confession regularly. May God...
- Danteewoo: Several years ago, as Kobe was passing through Denver for a court hearing in the Vail area for charges against him, he was seen at a noon Mass at Holy Ghost Church. On another day, a...
- Clinton R.: Very true words, Father. We know neither the day or hour of our passing. We do need to be in a state of grace at all times. May the Lord bless the souls of Kobe Bryant, his daughter and...
- Irish Timothy: Thank you once again for the excellent reminders Fr. Z! I plan to go to confession this Tuesday. Please pray for me that I safely make it there and for the grace of a good confess...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In re that last prayer that we say before receiving Holy Communion at Mass: it was only thanks to previews of the new English translatio n of the Roman Missal that I finally...
- John21: And his 13-year-ol d daughter reportedly died in the helicopter crash alongside him. Absolutely tragic.
- Thomas S: Kobe was a baptized Catholic, married in the Church. May God be good to him.
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Death, #KobeBryant, and You
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd after Epiphany (TLM) & 3rd Ordinary (NO) 2020
- VIDEO: Doing something
- My View For Awhile: Staunton Edition
- 450K-500K estimated at 2020 March For Life
- Washington DC DAYS 2-3: Motus and POTUS
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio Thursday – ZedNet reminder and a throat tightener
- Some stuff from my mail
- My View For Awhile: north
- More about #BOOKGATE and a Litany Against Modernists
- UPDATE – HILARITY ENSUES- Lib reactions to the new book from Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- To save the world, we have to save the liturgy. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: September 2018
In my surfing about this morning, I found a stupendous recording of the Gregorian chant version of the Litany of Loreto sung by all women. The chant is easy. This could be done in parishes. First, I think that Gregorian … Continue reading
Tomorrow, 1 October, begins a month which traditionally calls for daily recitation of the Most Holy Rosary. Dear readers… please consider, if you don’t already, daily recitation of the Rosary during October. How wonderful it would be if you took … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard during your Mass to fulfill your Sunday Obligation? Let us know.
Our Collect for the 26th Ordinary Sunday, slightly different from its ancestor in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary, is also in the 1962 Missale Romanum for the 10th Sunday after Pentecost. Deus, qui omnipotentiam tuam parcendo maxime et miserando manifestas, gratiam … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Sept: I billed this as the humidity edition and I wasn’t kidding. It has been hot and humid summer in Mad City, but “humid” is equivocal. The sojourn in Florida was good, insofar as I had the chance … Continue reading
In these days of The Present Crisis a few bishops took a step towards sanity and asked their people once again to pray the St. Michael Prayer after Mass. I think we should bring the Leonine Prayers back… all of … Continue reading
Here is a super cool story from JSTOR (which I’m sure you all follow): Why Europe’s Oldest Intact Book Was Found in a Saint’s Coffin The St. Cuthbert Gospel is the earliest surviving intact European book. Some time around 698, … Continue reading
From Lexology: A note about the Seal of Confession and requiring priests to break the Seal: State Could Not Require Priest to Breach Confessional Without Satisfying RFRA In Ronchi v. State, No. 5D18-194, 2018 WL 2988975 (Fla. 5th DCA June … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I remember your posts about Space travel and Catholicism, but I’ve been wondering: what about time travel and our obligations? Specifically, what if someone were to be transported to a time before Christ and outside of Judaic influence? If … Continue reading
Yesterday I watched the Kavanaugh Senate hearing. There were some important moments, including the fact that Kavanaugh arrived wearing his game face and Sen. Graham gave the Dems a piece of his mind. Turning points, both. Amusing moments: Sen. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have something in mind that has been troubling me. In my past, there has been an incidence where I dropped a host while receiving communion (I used to receive by hand, I no longer do), … Continue reading
At LifeSite we see that Archbp. Viganò has released another statement. ROME, September 27, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò has today issued a new extraordinary testimony, responding to Pope Francis’ refusal to answer the charge that he knew of … Continue reading
A story about St. Luke’s: “I have seen wonderful moments of grace there; priests and Religious who limped in, who left healed.”
The other day I posted about how bishops have used “psychological evaluation” as a weapon against conservative and traditional priests. At the time I acknowledged that some priests really do need help. Along with the horror stories I have received … Continue reading
St. Joseph’s Apprentice has made beautiful, practical portable altars for me and for many priests. I have called his portable altars “the ultimate gift for a priest”. I have one that I can travel with, using a Pelican case, that … Continue reading
The horror stories are pouring in from priests who have been through The Psych Strike Gambit by their bishops or superiors. Here is one, with some detail, which I have permission to post and which I have anonymized. His … Continue reading