D. Arlington: more accompaniment for the faithful who desire the Vetus Ordo

Remember this?

Citing the absurd smoke-screen of “international assessment and consultation of bishops”,  and the Dubious Dubia (which bind only the original questioners… but they were probably on the inside) and then local consultation, Bp. Burbidge of Arlington has slashed the number of locations where the Vetus Ordo is celebrated from 21 to 8.   Parishes that have it, can have it for only two years.

This is, of course, all very pastoral.

One wonders what sort of pressure was applied from across the Potomac.

I refer the readership to this informal project. Perhaps add prayers begging for forgiveness for the narrow cruelty of some pastors of the Church.

ACTION ITEM! Be a “Custos Traditionis”! Join an association of prayer for the reversal of “Traditionis custodes”.

This entry was posted in Traditionis custodes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Comments

1. WVC says:

My 13 year old was reduced to tears at the dinner table. Thanks Bishop Burbidge for your great pastoral care. If my path ever crosses his again, I will put my children directly in front of him and ask His Excellency to look them in the eyes and explain how treating them like 2nd class citizens has actually been for their spiritual good and exactly how it has helped unify the Church. Tell them how it’s somehow better that they be forbidden from being Confirmed or Married in the liturgical rite they’ve grown up in. People who make these absurdly horrible decisions should have to come face-to-face with the people they are hurting.

And, frankly, that’s the absolute nicest thing I can say and not get banned from Fr. Z’s website for life. So I’ll shut up now.

2. Cornelius says:

I assisted at a TLM in that diocese for years and resided there for over a decade. I always had grave doubts about Bishop Burbidge and the doubts were confirmed when he tried to tell us that PF’s reversal of teaching on the death penalty was a ‘development’ of doctrine. Oh right.

What they’re dealing with in Arlington is a complete absence of episcopal spine. He’s a ‘weather vane Bishop’ – he’ll tack to the prevailing breeze, whichever way it blows. There’s neither substance nor courage there.

3. Mike says:

We are living in Fatima times. Brace.

4. Gaetano says:

This is a heavy blow and especially painful given the diocese’s previous support for the TLM.

TLM attendees have been generous with their time, money & vocations to the clergy & religious life.

I do not doubt that this was issued under pressure from outside the diocese; but it is difficult to accept what has been done.

There are going to be a great many discussions after Mass this Sunday.

5. Chrisc says:

Apparently, Burbidge gave approval for weekday TLMs at one parish two weeks ago.

If you read the letter, it seems written by Roche. From leading with the smarmy quotation of TC#1 to the dismissal that this was just a small number of the faithful. But, the most telling thing is that Burbidge didn’t appoint the priest in charge. He had a year to implement but had to release the document with such haste that he didn’t determine whom to appoint?

6. acardnal says:

One of the stipulations in the bishop’s directive is that the times of the Latin Mass cannot be published in the parish bulletin or website or social media. Wow!

The Arlington diocese is a suffragan ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan Archbishop of Baltimore.

7. aflusche says:

And 5 of the locations aren’t allowed to celebrate TLM in their actual church. For example, St Patrick’s just dedicated a beautiful, traditional new church. And now they’ll be celebrating TLM next door in the 1960’s former church building that is being turned into a parish hall. Pics:

But, after Bishop Burbidge locked us out of Mass during the Great Reset, this sadly doesn’t surprise me.

8. thomistking says:

Burbidge already released guidelines for the TLM in January, why rerelease them now? I can only imagine threats were made from the nunciature.

9. Mike says:

My family and I have attended the TLM at St. John the Beloved parish in VA since about 2010 as visitors now and then–say 6-8 Sundays a year. Some of my adult kids prefer the NO. I know it has helped all of us in various ways grow in our Faith. The beauty of the old rite is stirring! It’s simply amazing.

We have never heard a single word from the pulpit criticize Vatican II or a Pope or any bishop. Not once! I just don’t understand how this could happen. I’m praying that the Lord will send us shepherds after His own heart, and in due time, this will all be a bad memory, and we’ll have a Pope in the mold of Benedict XVI who sees the Vetus Ordo a rightful patrimony of every priest and of every member of the Church if they so wish to celebrate or attend it.

[This comments expresses the sentiments of most people, I am convinced, who attend the Vetus Ordo. What a pity our chief pastors are so insensitive to the sort of people they claim they want to build up in the dying local churches through “evangelization” programs. The TLM IS THE PROGRAM THAT WORKS.]

10. B says:

I am sure that if studied, it would be found that those who attend a TLM are more generous , or more regular, financial contributors. You would think with dioceses struggling with weekly collections & fundraising that they would see a connection to strong faith and dependable collections. But they aren’t looking that far down the road. (Or perhaps bishops/diocesan administrators are jealous of TLM parishes for their financial stability).

11. Mike says:

Thank you, Father. Sentiments “ex corde”.

12. Ipsitilla says:

I second Mike’s comment – I, too, attend St. John the Beloved, and sing in the choir for TLM Masses on Sunday. It seems to me that Arlington is/was the living embodiment of what Benedict XVI wanted: NO and TLM coexisting in the same parishes, opportunities for fruitful dialogue and collaboration, and the ability of people to be exposed to both forms at their best (in my experience, parishes that have at least one TLM don’t tend to also feature NO Masses of the “morning zoo” variety.)

Arlington was the plain refutation of everything Pope Francis apparently believes about traditional Catholics. It’s sad that he and his collaborators would rather hide the evidence than broaden their understanding.

13. Mike says:

Ipsitilla: I have long thought exactly that about St. John’s! It is a parish richly blessed. I pray it continues.

14. TonyO says:

I used to be a long-time resident of the Arlington Diocese, and it was a jewel among the dioceses of the US. Back in the 80’s and 90’s. Mind you, it wasn’t notably better than 90% of the dioceses were in 1950, but it was staying the course after the tumult of the various revolutions, and kept on being as good in the 90’s and most dioceses were in the 50’s.

Then Bishop Loverde happened, and he gravely damaged some things. (Brought in girl altar boys, for example, with not one lick of a reason.) But he was dealing with a huge percentage of faithful, tradition-minded priests, and they effectively pulled him short from what he was really aiming at. Summorum came along, and many parish priests took advantage of it, and made the diocese better for it. Then came Bp. Burbidge, and he had plenty of room to do good things. Did a few of them, too. But now this. There is simply no excuse for the bishop of that diocese to be thinking like Francis (and Roche), who is demonstrably thinking contrary to Benedict, (so at least ONE of those two pontiffs has it utterly wrong). As Ipsitilla above says, “Arlington was the plain refutation of everything Pope Francis apparently believes about traditional Catholics. ” Plain and OBVIOUS to anyone bothering to open his eyes.

The way I see it, the only possible way a bishop of Arlington could impose the harsh vision of TC, (without actually being a modernist who loves the harsh regime of TC), instead of trying at every turn to reduce or even undercut its harsh vision is either (a) the bishop has his eyes utterly closed to what is right in front of his nose, i.e. the evidence; or (b) he thinks that he “needs” to kow-tow to the powers in Rome and must be seen to support not only the letter of TC but also its spirit. I.E. he fears for his position. I can understand such a fear, though I cannot condone it. But his “Policy” statement goes well beyond the minimum necessary “pinch of incense” so as to pretend to be in sympathy with the Francine thuggery of Rome. Which implies, (so far as I can tell), he really does believe the trashy claptrap in TC about the “unique expression” blah, blah, blah. He is no custodian of the deposit of the lex orandi, and this sheds doubt also on whether he will be a custodian for the deposit of faith. My heart and soul suffer in sympathy with my many friends in Arlington who are being crushed by the modernist “spirit of VII”.

15. WVC says:

Watching “Adventures of Baron Munchausen” with the kids (slightly edited to make it appropriate), and I’m struck by how well the movie captures the current struggle. The romantic tradition vs. the bureaucratic reason motif, the dispirited and weak men who refuse to fight (No sir, it’s Wednesday), something that brings real hope to turn the tide in a hopeless battle being hated by those who cannot control it – and it’s all made more enjoyable (for me at least) by the fact that Jonathan Pryce was cast, many years later, to play a certain role.

16. Grant M says:

Remember that the avowed intention of TC is that Catholics “rooted” in the TLM need to be deracinated and brought back into the NO, in “due time”. They don’t define “in due time” but you can bet a silk pajama that they have a schedule in mind, and it is mapped in years not decades. I suspect they have many more tasks on their Gannt chart when it comes to the extirpation of the Roman Rite. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

17. Sonshine135 says:

Bishop Burbidge was the Bishop of the Diocese of Raleigh before he was moved to Arlington. Go out to any given parish in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and you will not find hide nor hair of a Traditional Latin Mass. You will, however, find many a Mass where Fr. Ringmaster will lead the flock through fast and loose interpretation of the rubrics of the NO. This is no surprise to me.

18. Orual says:

I agree with Mike and Ipstilla about diocesan parishes that celebrate both the TLM and NO. There is no bad-mouthing of V2, the Pope, or Bishop coming from the pulpit. People get along with each other. All Masses, regardless of the form, are reverent and beautifully done. There literally is no problem that needs fixing! We’re just living our lives, worshiping God the best way we can, and supporting our Church. TC is a ‘solution’ to a non-existent problem.

19. JumpJet says:

THOUSANDS OF PARISHIONERS DOLLARS were raised to renovate St Peter Catholic Church in Washington, VA by our good and holy pastor so that both forms of the Mass could be celebrated more reverently. A high altar, rail, exquisite woodwork, a Henry Wingate painting of St Peter receiving the keys, plus an expanded sanctuary and MORE seating to hold the overflowing crowds.

People from miles/hours away would come to our little parish every Sunday for the 0945 Missa Cantata (every Sunday!). Bishop Burbidge was well aware of the money spent and the purpose, yet he still ended the Mass of the Ages. It’s an act of supreme injustice, yet we will continue to pray for our bishop.

As an aside, he will consecrate the new altar a 7pm on September 13 and I invite readers in Northern Virginia to attend so that he knows we are not going away.

Think, proof read, preview BEFORE posting!