SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Panterina on Daily Rome Shot 694: “I’m afraid this problem is beyond my calculation horizon. Also, so many candidate moves! I tried 1.Qxf7+ and 1.Qxe8 but…”
- Jenson71 on LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying: “That’s an interesting interpretation of why Joseph was considering leaving Mary. Matthew seems clear that he was considering of leaving…”
- Charivari Rob on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-17 – Bp. Fatty celebrates St. Patty: “Patty? Saint Patricia isn’t until August 25. Paddy – he of that nice shade of blue – is the one…”
- Liz on 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church! : “St Joseph, Dispenser of the Treasures of the Sacred Heart…we love that one too. I can never get over that…”
- diaconus_in_urbe on 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church! : ““101. 1. In accordance with the centuries-old tradition of the Latin rite, the Latin language is to be retained by…”
- JGavin on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments: “To my surprise, Rose coloured vestments. This was the second time in 24 years at the parish I have seen…”
- FrCharles on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-17 – Bp. Fatty celebrates St. Patty: “When I was a deacon, I served in one of our Capuchin parishes in a diocese adjacent to where I…”
- Anneliese on YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS: “If I can, I’d like to throw in a couple of more prayer requests, please. Firstly, please pray for the…”
- JPaulZ on Meanwhile, in Kansas: “Absolutely beautiful. What are the rest of us doing wrong? However, Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants may find the facility an…”
- Sandy on LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying: “St. Joseph has become very special to me also, in some serious needs for intercession. For a long time, Father…”
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on WDTPRS – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare (N.O.): Prompt devotion and eager faith: “Father K: Save us some time. And, by the way, I worked in that Commission for 10 years. And if…”
- Synonymous_Howard on LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying: “What a blessing that book has been to my spiritual life as a father. I would recommend it to everyone.”
- Flos Carmeli on LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying: ““….so concretely that it’s amusing.” This is a good way of putting it! One of my own St. Joseph stories…”
- JonPatrick on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments: “NO mass, the Gospel of the man born blind. We are often blind to what is going on around us…”
- Mariana2 on Meanwhile, in Kansas: “Beautiful.”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: 4th Sunday of Lent – Joy
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments
- Meanwhile, in Kansas
- Daily Rome Shot 694
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare (N.O.): Prompt devotion and eager faith
- Daily Rome Shot 693
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 25: Saturday 3rd Week – Getting it right after doing it wrong
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-17 – Bp. Fatty celebrates St. Patty
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 24: Friday 3rd Week of Lent – Burn, baby, BURN!
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me…” The mighty Lorica of Saint Patrick
- Daily Rome Shot 693
- A peek at the Moon
- Daily Rome Shot 692
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 23: Thursday 3rd Week – Jesus applies the remedies
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
- Positions available for Catholic, Latin-speaking Latin teachers
- Daily Rome Shot 691
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 22: Wednesday 3rd Week – Whom Christ loves and what He despises
- Daily Rome Shot 690
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 21: Tuesday 3rd Week – Help and hospitality
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 20: Monday 3rd Week – Washing Naaman
- Daily Rome Shot 689
- Meanwhile, in Germany they are really connecting with the people and “zusammen gehen” and all that.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 3rd Sunday of Lent 2023
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
VISUAL CONTRASTS in Chicago… remember the TLM must be suppressed in favor of…. what, exactly?
This entry was posted in SESSIUNCULA and tagged Archd. Chicago. Bookmark the permalink.
Business is obviously good for the devil in Chicago these days.
Almighty God, please send your army of angels led by St Michael to route out the devil from Chicago and restore the sacred liturgy for all faithful Catholics. Amen.
Did the guy on the left really say, “like the GOOF-ball…”? I dunno, maybe it was dewfall. Hard to tell.
The reason why prelates like this are against the TLM is because they cannot manipulate this group of Catholics into accepting homosexualist agendas, etc. Therefore they take away the Mass which feeds them. And they fear the many, many young Catholics in this group for they have a great impact on the future and Catholic thought.
I thought I heard Goof-ball as well, but it was dew fall. He was using Eucharistic Prayer II. I’d be willing to bet that was a Sunday Mass as well. If bishops and cardinals want to declare war on the old Mass I suppose they deserve to have these sorts of videos made pointing out the ridiculousness of the double standard.
I am wondering what the about the conduct of the priest on the left says that He through whom the universe was created is actually on the altar in front of him.
We communicate our beliefs as much by our words as our actions.
B. Yes. The homosexualists agenda intends to destroy every institution. (Including itself)
The TLM shown on the right side of the screen was actually at St. Stanislaus Oratory in Milwaukee. Reverend Canon Benoit Jayr was the celebrant.
Maybe if the TLM’s incorporated bubbles in their rubrics or used an electric guitar to bless the congregation, or even better, replaced teh Virgin Mary’s statue with teh Pac Mamma this would never have happened.
So very sad.
Here in the DC Archdiocese it’s not ideal NO land but it isn’t that, my goodness!
I would walk out of that guy’s Mass on the left in the first three minutes.
One of the reasons I fled the NO – too much yakking in the Mass, no time for prayers.
I’d argue that most bishops don’t know what actually goes on in the local parishes on a day-to-day basis. What they are aware of, if anything, tends to be funneled through the chancery and the local presbytery counsel — the ecclesial equivalents of the deep state and union bosses.
With everything being online now, it is much easier for the bishops to check in on things, for good and for ill. It is a two-edged sword, indeed, but it would be beneficial for there to appear more videos like this comparing various local masses — especially homilies as that gets past a lot of the external variances between NO Masses.
For this video, the left side (NO) has been fairly typical of Masses that I have been to throughout my life. It is actually sort of middle of the road, sadly. It is really helpful to watch the video with the sound off — has a completely different feel than hearing the audio.
Why is it permitted (and will continue to be permitted). Easy. “Active Participation” and the NO can function as a vanity project for the priest and this is seen as a good thing. This is a Protestant thing whereby the minister seeks to bring the congregation to Christ by creating a connection to the congregation through his own personality. The project rests on the assumption that the minister because they are a minister, has a greater connection to Christ and the only way for the congregation to be connected to Christ is to know Him through the personality of the minister. Ultimately it is a rejection of the “personal relationship with Christ” (even though this is talked about at length) with it being, in practice, found only through “encounter” “relationship” “accompaniment” with other people, especially with the personality of the minister.
The problem with TLM is that it says that the priest’s personality isn’t important (and might actually be harmful) for the laity’s relationship and worship of God.
Ariseyedead, maybe the goof-ball he was referring to was himself.
Orual, that did cross my mind. ;)
@Lurker 59 – I see your comment and raise you a comment. I suspect that a large number of bishops likely do not care what goes on in their parish so far as liturgy is concerned. I suspect that, much like Francis, they enjoy targeting and hurting Latin Mass communities from a desire to hurt the people who love the Old Mass because those are the types of people that don’t fall in line with the rest of their agendas (LGBTQ+ “outreach”, anti-American “diversity” propaganda, Federal cash flows to support never-ending immigration, socialist welfare policies. . . etc.) Some of these men behave as if they have no faith in the sacraments and no concern with the liturgy, and it reminds me of an old William Marra talk where he gives the example of a bishop castigating folks going to Adoration as “cookie worshippers.”
Thinking that folks like this actually care about Novus Ordo liturgical abuses is giving them one benefit of the doubt too many. It’s like arguing with abortionists – it’s mostly pointless because they KNOW it’s murder, they just don’t care. Arguing about the TLM with many folks is a similar problem – they KNOW it’s a superior liturgy, they just don’t care about liturgy at all.
The view on the sacraments seems to me to be one of extrinsic justification rather than an intrinsic internal change of individuals. If all you consider that can be done about the evils in this world is to create new social structures, paradigms, and encounters/accompaniment/relations amongst people, the liturgical focus is going to be on 1.) whatever speaks to the people to get them into the pews 2.) whatever allows the local community to express themselves 3.) whatever brings in outsiders 4.) whatever doesn’t exclude outsiders those on the margins.
It has nothing to do about what gives God glory. If one was putting the glorification of God first, the Missionary Mandate would be being fulfilled AND those on the margins would be treated better.
Semi-related: I noticed that there is a 3 Year push by the USCCB for a Eucharistic Revival https://www.eucharisticrevival.org/ that just started up. Can you imagine what the TLM parishes could do with that? If you are doing a ER, it will prompt people to think about the liturgy, and if you start thinking about the liturgy you start noticing things about the NO. BUT if there are no TLM around…
Anyway, perhaps I am being harsh, but there is a seriousness to this and it is being treated unseriously (the local diocese’s website for the ER very clearly indicates that the whole thing isn’t thought through and looks like it is just going to die in the vine.)