About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JonPatrick: “The Gospel is the Lord’s parable about the sower of seeds. Some seeds make it but many do not. Some people hear the Word of God and it bears fruit. Many hear it and fail. It is...
- WVC: With regard to the “red book” ; – caution to anyone out there thinking of teaching old dogs new tricks. I once attended the Latin Mass at a very well known church which had...
- Archlaic: In the absence of definitive rubrics legitimate variations in custom did indeed occur̷ 0; I am reminded of the anecdote about Hilaire Belloc attending Mass in NYC: at a certain point...
- JonPatrick: It’s strange how the US is invoked as the ones likely to schism. Wow if we are somehow the bastion of conservati vism in the Church, things must be worse than I thought.
- JonPatrick: Father made an analogy using a person who when first learning to drive just learns the rules of the road and to obey them but later as they become more experience d they learn the...
- veritas vincit: Good to know the Holy Name Society is not entirely a thing of the past!
- anotherphilothea: Our priest worked in some very good points about the redemptive nature of suffering, and that we should never imagine that we will achieve some state of holiness that guarant...
- Andrew Saucci: What struck me about the first table above is that the consistenc ies are more striking than the difference s. Still, perhaps it is time for better materials; I recently thought...
- mibethda: A couple of years ago, Romanitas Press came out with a Mass Assistance Card for the use of the laity in determinin g the appropriat e posture at the Low, High and Solemn Masses. As Father...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): One of my favorite things about the traditiona l Mass is that Jesus Christ, through the priest, does all the heavy lifting, and I get to rest and be recollecte d. There is a...
- Markus: veritas vincit, “alt hough pews have still been around for 400 years̶ 1; Pews were adopted first, by many RCC’ s, from our Protestant cousins here in the USA, East Coast....
- Hidden One: I see nothing in Cardinal Mueller 217;s text on Querida Amazonia that I might expect Pope Francis to object to. Instead, I see a faithful account of the nature, value, and meaning of...
- Fr Martin Fox: I talked about rules and why they are helpful, but explained that we are wrong to focus on them as if they are the point of our faith. The point of our faith is to know Jesus.
- mamajen: I usually attend the NO, but our priest will typically do the TLM for holy days. I had the great misfortune once of arriving just in the nick of time for a holy day mass, and only the...
- HvonBlumenthal: Now that he has seen how fickle and unprincipl ed the left is, and how little loyalty they have to a man whom they see as past his useful prime, he may be wondering if conserv...
- arga: In my FSSP parish, posture is radically different as between high Mass and low Mass. I never understood why it should change from high to low. The parish also does not follow the second...
- zeremoniar: Father, you said that there are no official rubrics assigned by the Church for the laity at the TLM. Actually, the Cæremonial e Episcoporu m contains one – according to CE II, viii, 32...
- ChrisP: The thing is, Francis is a Peronist in operations . I don’ t think that can be disputed. But what that means is that he will target his output to who HE thinks he is addressing , and...
- ex seaxe: Sorry to disagree with you Father, and one of the other comments, about the rubrics for the distributi on of communion to the faithful. They are not lacking, but quite clearly set out in...
- Kenneth Wolfe: Sometimes Americans think our way is the only way, including congregati onal posture at the TLM. One trip to France or Italy will change that. A strong point made above is that if a...
- Kevin Jones: I’ve always been a keen observer of the postures of lay people at the TLM as it varies from country to country, city to city, diocese to diocese and even churches within the same...
- David L Alexander: As one old enough to remember when the “Old Mass” ; was simply “The Mass,̶ 1; knowing what to do, and when, hasn’ ;t been an issue in the pews, at least...
- Dcncharliejude@: Beautiful day with my Holy Name Society Brothers. What a blessing to meet His Eminence Cardinal Zen. If anyone knows anything about the persecuted church its him. Praying for you...
- Prayerful: I always took it as a mix of doing what others are doing as customs vary a bit from place to place, and to copy the posture those assisting in choir whether subdeacon or servers, to...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Interestin g, since I actually mentioned posture at Mass in the “old days” ; in passing during my sermon today. For what is worth, I do remember very well the...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Sexagesima and 6th Ordinary 2020
- Olive branches between Francis and Card. Müller
- ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?
- All those synodizers, those dreamers of process, get a key thing wrong
- Card. Zen, Cops, and a Cappa Magna
- WDTPRS – Sexagesima Sunday: Some make it but many do not.
- After Querida Amazonia, Francis isn’t flavor of the month with seriously disappointed libs
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Z responds cordially to The Remnant’s polite response – #UniteTheClans
- ASK FATHER: Adoption and “rescue” of frozen IVF embryos in cryogenic oppression through surrogate motherhood
- VIDEO – On EWTN – Fr. Murray and Dr. Royal about Exhortation, devastating interview with Card. Zen about China
- A priest is diagnosed with a brain tumor. See how he reacted.
- ASK FATHER: Two Catholics getting married in the Orthodox Church
- One year ago…. Opportunity was declared dead.
- New book by Francis strongly endorses priestly celibacy. Will Beans, Austen and crowd apologize to Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI?
- Something to warm up the heart a little
- ACTION ITEM! The “Birettas for Seminarians Project” needs URGENT ATTENTION!
- Thoughts about the Amazon Synod (“walking together”) document. Wherein Fr. Z opines also on something sad about #Bookgate
- 11 February 2013 – Benedict XVI announced abdication
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Getting things straight about the book by Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- Priestly, not prissily.
- Why does Francis partner with JEFFREY SACHS?
- The German Synod (“walking together”): the culmination of German alienation from authentic Church renewal
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Septuagesima and 5th Ordinary 2020
- ACTION ITEM: Help a Catholic blogger colleague – UPDATED!
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: Affliction and Freedom
- SEPTUAGESIMA SUNDAY 2020 – Pre-Lent begins! Get your head into gear.
- LifeSite posts verbatim interview with Bp. Sorondo of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. It isn’t pretty.
- Card. Sarah: The priesthood is in mortal danger. Wherein Fr. Z rants to priests.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: abortion
Archd. Kansas City breaks with Girl Scouts, tied to Big Business Abortion provider Planned Parenthood, etc.
I was alerted to a statement (HERE) from His Excellency Most Reverend Joseph Naumann that the Archdiocese of Kansas City (Kansas) is instructing parishes to cut their ties with the Girl Scouts because of their support of Big Business Abortion – Planned … Continue reading
A couple of cheerful items crossed my screen on Monday. First, Pres. Trump reinstated the “Mexico City Policy”, which bars international NGOs that perform or promote abortions from receiving US government funds (i.e., taxpayer dollars). My only regret is that … Continue reading
At CNN we find a story about how Pope Francis extended to priests indefinitely the ability to absolve the sin of abortion. He had hitherto given it only for the Year of Mercy, which is now closed. (CNN)Pope Francis has … Continue reading
This is an interesting bit of news that touches on many point of interest as we rocket to Election Day. From an editorial in the Albuquerque Journal. Editorial: Archbishop reacts to priest’s abortion letter By Albuquerque Journal Editorial Board Wednesday, … Continue reading
Fr. Z’s Blog likes Bp. Paprocki of Springfield in the sad state of Illinois. You might recall that he did an exorcism of the whole state after the abomination of same-sex “marriage” was approved there. Bp. Paprocki talks about moral … Continue reading
I saw this Tweet and a story about this Tweet at LifeSite. Senator @timkaine: Do us both a favor. Don’t show up in my communion line. I take Canon 915 seriously. It’d be embarrassing for you & for me — … Continue reading
Justice Clarence Thomas dissented today. In his dissent to the SCOTUS majority opinion in WHOLE WOMAN’S HEALTH v. HELLERSTEDT Thomas wrote about the false principles they are using, and have been using. Here are a few excerpts from his 16 … Continue reading
When you are tempted to think that Notre Dame University can’t sink any lower… From Adam Wilson of the Cardinal Newman Society (check their feed on my right side bar) to my email: This is outrageous, and I wanted to … Continue reading
Pro-life activist Jill Stanek’s house was vandalized by pro-abortion cowards. The story is HERE. One of them threw a brick through her window with the note: “Quit the pro-life bulls**t.” It’s in a Target sack. I’ll take Irony for $1000, Alex. … Continue reading
A couple of really sad women… horrific world views… tragic consequences. First, Nancy “The Theologian” Pelosi at CNS: (CNSNews.com) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) criticized Republican attempts to defund Planned Parenthood and repeal the Affordable Care Act in … Continue reading
UPDATE 15 Oct: I received this from a trustworthy priest: I saw your post on the Mar del Plata cathedral assault. Quite frightening demonstration and disappointing response from the rector. However, the whole event may be more complicated than it … Continue reading
For the Year of Mercy the Holy Father has given to all priests the faculty to absolve from the censure that is incurred by the crime (not just sin) of successfully procuring an abortion. This has created a bit of … Continue reading
The distinguished canonist (and commentator here) Ed Peters has a useful post at his fine blog In The Light Of The Law about the distinction of the sin of abortion and the crime of abortion and the sanction/censure that can be incurred … Continue reading
Just a reminder of what you all know. The other day she said that the baby parts videos were disturbing. She now repeats that she supports Planned Parenthood, big business abortion, founded by Margaret Sanger to get rid of undesirable … Continue reading