Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
A Sonnet A Day
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- exNOAAman: Can’ t really comment on the sermon because I’m hearing impaired and didn’ ;t catch most of it. However, I did notice a very significan t increase in attendance since my...
- WVC: @Mary Jane Thank you for your prayers. We are very much indebted to the many good people who have supported us with their prayers. I know there is little else that can explain the graces we...
- Grant M: Decrepit at forty? People aged fast back then.
- Semper Gumby: A 9 July 2019 Washington Free Beacon article on AOC’ s then-Chief of Staff, Saikat Chakrabart i: AOC Chief of Staff Wears T-Shirt Supporting Nazi Collaborat or “Bos e met...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Sonnets first, for now.
- newishconvert: I vote YES for the Psalms, Father. What a great idea. Wish I had a way to capture your rendition on a podcast listener (what are those things called?). It would be a wonderful way to...
- Jim Dorchak: Our Churches are closing tighter here in Chile.
- benedetta: Excellent! I’m looking forward to hearing these!
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: It is hard to go wrong with the Folger Shakespear e Library edition: US HERE – UK HERE As a matter of fact, the hardcover version is what I used in Sonnet 1.
- scrchristensen: Fr. Z, Is there a particular published collection of Shakespear e’s sonnets that you would recommend?
- Andreas: “I can no other answer make, but, thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks… 221; – The Bard, Twelfth Night
- hwriggles4: In my younger days a group of us young adults (25-39) often helped once or twice a year with a vocations awareness weekend that attracted three dioceses. Most of the younger women who...
- Baritone: Even though I did laugh at the examples Father gave, in the back of my mind, I thought, sadly, there̵ 7;s a reason these examples exist … there̵ 7;s a reason I̵...
- Mary Jane: @WVC, @MaskedChi cken, thank you both so much for your thoughts on this issue. My husband and I both appreciate d your exchange, as well as your respect for one another. WVC, my husband...
- Elaine Vaccaro: I like the sonnets as they force me to listen closely and it lightens my day. Of course, the psalms would be lovely. You have a good voice for this work. Bring it on!
- Unwilling: I would gladly subscribe $1/day for Psalm reading and comment. But Shakespear e? the Sonnets? a Priest? Fr Z!? [Don’ ;t be silly. If you don’ t like Shakespear e, don’ t...
- Veilinglady: I really like the psalms idea!
- SanSan: Nice! Thank you Father. I haven̵ 7;t heard Poetry or read Poetry for years. Fun.
- acardnal: Nice. Thank you. Now I have to listen to this several times to figure it out. Poetry . . . . I like your supplement ary idea of reciting the psalms, too.
- Tom Ormon II: I had to click on the link to NCR, and got an ‘eve r-so-accur ate’ popup assessment . [Darn those clairvoyan t algorithms :-( ]
- michele421: It is funny, even for this old lib with no great love for Papa Lambertini . And Fr. Hunwicke is definitely right. We do need faith in God, every day and at all times.
- Semper Gumby: Charles E Flynn: Thanks for your two comments and article recommenda tions. The Astronomer ’s humorous comment appears to blend in with the title of EsolenR 17;s piece. The...
- abdiesus: And, yes, it is quite good, and funny! Thanks!
- abdiesus: answering my own question, I believe I have found the article in question at this link: http://lit urgicalnot es.blogspo t.com/2020 /08/papa-l ambertinis -conundrum .html
- Gregg the Obscure: Looking forward to your Psalms!
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 10th after Pentecost (NO: 19th Ordinary) 2020
- #ASonnetADay – SONNET 02
- 9 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): 10th Sunday after Pentecost
- Wherein Fr. Z is challenged to record a Shakespeare #ASonnetADay
- 8 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional NUPTIAL Mass – 1330h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Wedding
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke made me laugh.
- 7 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Cajetan
- Nun TikTok
- LCWR and CMSWR: compare and contrast
- More love from @AustenI
- A great piece about St. Damien of Molokai and a couple thoughts about AOC
- JUST TOO COOL: Feast of the Transfiguration – special blessing of grapes!
- 6 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Transfiguration of the Lord
- Sun Daggars!
- URGENT: CDF responds to ‘dubia’ about the baptismal formula, “WE baptize you….”
- 5 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Mary “at the snow” – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- VIDEO: Beirut blast hits church during Mass. Awful.
- @BishopBarron held a secret, “invite-only” meeting about the rise of “trads”. Wherein Fr. Z opines and invites (again)
- 4 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St Dominic – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 3 August – Traditional Latin Mass – Intention: Benedict XVI – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ACTION ITEM! Benedict XVI “frail” and sick with bacterial infection
- Concerning COVID-1984 masks
- 2 August until midnight: “Portiuncula” Plenary (or Partial) Indulgence
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 9th after Pentecost (NO: 18th Ordinary) 2020
- 2 August – Traditional Latin Mass – SERMON ONLY 9th Sunday after Pentecost – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- HORRIFYING: Cathedral priests reject for confession anyone not-registered, verified by their documented GIVING in the last year!!
- PODCAzT 183: Bp. Schneider’s call for a Crusade of Eucharistic Reparation – ACTION ITEM!
- 1 August: Feast of Blessed M. Stella and her Ten Companions, the The Martyrs of Nowogrodek – FOLLOW UP
- Notes about how the relics of the Old Testament Maccabees martyrs reached Rome
- Washington DC: young people chalk “Black Pre-born Lives Matter” on sidewalk and are ARRESTED!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: Doctrinal Preamble
From VIS: The Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” takes this occasion to announce that, in its most recent official communication (6 September 2012), the Priestly Fraternity of St. Pius X has indicated that additional time for reflection and study is needed … Continue reading
From the intrepid Andrea Tornielli: […] The latest version of the doctrinal preamble – discussed by cardinals of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and approved by the Pope – is considered by the Holy See to be … Continue reading
I was sent a link to an article in The Remnant on the SSPX situation. The article contains the following statements: Instead of harassing Bishop Fellay to sign a doctrinal preamble, the Vatican should require every superior, university president and … Continue reading
At the National Catholic Register there is a long interview with the new Vice President of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”, His Excellency Most Reverend, J. Augustine DiNoia, OP. He said that, since he hasn’t actually begun his work at … Continue reading
I have just started to read SSPX Bp. Galaretta’s contradiction of the “Doctrinal Preamble” offered by the Holy See in advance of reconciliation. It is in French right now. HERE. In the meantime, His Hermeneuticalness, Fr. Finigan posted a request … Continue reading
Three people have come up to me with questions. I am getting text messages on my phone. It seems SSPX Superior Bishop Bernard Fellay is in Rome to meet with officials of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith … Continue reading
From VIS: In data 17 aprile 2012 è pervenuto, come richiesto nell’incontro del 16 marzo 2012, svoltosi presso la sede della Congregazione per la Dottrina della Fede, il testo della risposta di S.E. Mons. Bernard Fellay, Superiore Generale della Fraternità … Continue reading
I have read Andrea Tornielli’s report on Vatican Insider that SSPX Bp. Fellay as SIGNED the CDF’s “Doctrinal Preamble”. Italian HERE. Il superiore della Fraternità San Pio X ha sottoscritto il preambolo dottrinale proposto dalla Santa Sede, anche se con … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons!According to pius.info the German FSSPX district website, the “Kanzelverkündiging” below was read in all churches and chapels of the district. To one observer who wrote to me, “it looks like the are preparing the FSSPX-faithfull … Continue reading
Holy See Statement about SSPX and avoiding “ecclesial rupture of painful and incalculable consequences”
I thought something was coming! This is from the Holy See Press Office: COMMUNIQUE CONCERNING THE SOCIETY OF ST. PIUS X Vatican City, 16 March 2012 (VIS) – Given below is the text of a communique relating to the Society … Continue reading
You know about the “Doctrinal Preamble” which the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith gave to the SSPX. The SSPX issued a preliminary reaction to the Preamble. Now they have sent the CDF a more precise response, which the … Continue reading
I am sure that, given some stories going around that the SSPX might refuse the CDF’s “Doctrinal Preamble”, there should be an article in L’Osservatore Romano (on the site in English, Spanish, French, German, Portughese and, of course, Italian) entitled: … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have posted something from DICI, an interview with SSPX Superior Bp. Bernard Fellay. In this interview Fellay speaks about the “doctrinal preamble” given to the SSPX by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Why … Continue reading
I have gotten email after email suggesting that the leadership of the SSPX has effectively rejected the CDF’s “Doctrinal Preamble”. Reports are sketchy and I don’t want to post more. As I look thought various links that have been sent, … Continue reading