Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Anita: pasta fazool of which Dean Martin sang Yes and no. It is also a thickish soup or stew with pasta and with legumes. However, this is a dialectica l variation filte...
- iPadre: I focused on the Epistle from Hebrews, not abandoning the suffering of our Lord, but the new High Priest entering the Temple to abolish the Old Dispensati on to institute a New dispens...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I don’t suppose this is related to the pasta fazool of which Dean Martin sang?
- ocleirbj: Elizium23: We tried this the other day, and it was pretty good, even without the chives that I didn’ ;t have. Don’ t leave out the vinegar. https://bo njourcuisi ne.com/...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father. Skinned – like Eustace by Aslan in ‘The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 217;.
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z. And thanks for the chickpea recipe yesterday. Our pantry shelves have stockpiled on them everything but the anchovies& #8212;I won’ t try substituti ng sardines or...
- excalibur: Father Z, how much broth did you use?
- excalibur: JustaSinne r. I smoked an eggplant once, it was hard to keep it lit though. I’ll stick to a good cigar or a pipe.
- LorrieRob: I live in Clearwater Florida. Our public masses have been suspended for approachin g two weeks. Normally we do have the Crucifix veiled but given the situation it was not this morning. I...
- Paul: Today, I watched my first, full, live online Mass at St Mary of Pine Bluff. Father Z, we don’ t know what we would do without you, Father Heilman and your congregati on through all this...
- Charivari Rob: Dan, in Boston as in Brooklyn and other places temporary changes on abstinence from meat on Lenten Fridays has nothing to do with thoughts of “alr eady having given enough&...
- Charles E Flynn: An introducti on to bucatini: Bucatini Is the Best Long Pasta There Ever Was or Will Be, by Alex Delany.
- JustaSinner: FALAFALS and humus. The only really good things to come of chickpeas. Smoke an eggplant and make some babaganush …goe s great with a falafel pita.
- Charivari Rob: “non e of the above̶ 1;: couldnR 17;t see the statues. I ended up watching streams (or partial) from three different churches today.(one I rolled over after alarm and...
- Sieber: Watched Holy Mass celebrated by Pope Francis from the St. Martha Chapel. No covered images. I then watched Holy Mass from The Altar of the Chair in St. Peter̵ 7;s. Again, nothing...
- Akita: Thank you Father for your warm and instructiv e sermon. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Way of the Cross book by Benedict XVI, aka Pope Benedict. The illustrati ons by Jan Toorop have a mysticism that...
- Chrysologos: Thank you, Father, for the serenity and beauty of the sung Vespers today. And thank you for the recipe which I shall endeavour to try. The photos reminded me of the wholesome, warmi...
- Elizium23: Our parish is, for the first time, livestream ing Sunday Mass on Facebook. The stream comes from our Carmelite Missionari es’ tiny chapel. There is a good large crucifix in the...
- lh: I made them. It was not easy because I couldn’t measure, everything ’s in lockdown. I envisioned little feet peaking out. They fit, thanks be to God.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Elizium23 says: I currently loathe chickpeas. This can pass. There̵ 7;s a lot you can do with them But roasting dry with salt… ;. I don’ t think so. I used to...
- ex seaxe: I see that these decrees have caused much frothing at the mouth in certain circles – http://www .cittadell aeditrice. com/munera /open-lett er-on-the- state-of-l iturgical- except...
- Cicero_NOLA: I had to pull up the webcam view of my parish to verify that the images are veiled today, since we are prohibited from assisting. Since we find it awkward to view Mass on TV, especia...
- Kathleen10: Elizium, try Allrecipes , there̵ 7;s sure to be a chickpea recipe you like. They have redeeming qualities in that they’ ;re healthy, I think. Fr. Z., that looks yummy!
- Elizium23: This looks delicious, and I’m sure it is, with your flair for cooking, but: bless me, Father for I have sinned. I currently loathe chickpeas. I normally love them, especially in...
- Marc in Eugene: I wish we could transfer the whole season of Easter and Pentecost, Trinity Sunday, etc and swap the time after Lent for the Time after Pentecost like we do after Epiphany. I don...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
Today the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (which absorbed my old office, the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“) issued a decree making it possible to celebrate saints canonized after 1906 using the traditional Missale Romanum. HERE In another decree … Continue reading
Huge news for the use of the traditional Missale Romanum, the Extraordinary Form. The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith absorbed my old office, the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“. Thus, the CDF has charge over matters of the Extraordinary … Continue reading
Reports are circulating into my phone, my mail box and onto the interwebs (Messa in Latino and Tossati) that the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” (PCED) could be suppressed soon and absorbed into the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith … Continue reading
If you are a priest who has been hassled by your bishop about saying the traditional Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum, pay attention. Help has arrived. Recently a priest of my acquaintance sent two questions to my old haunts the … Continue reading
Apparently one of the Francis Effects is “apertura”, “an opening up … openness”. I have suggested elsewhere on this blog, and not too long ago, that Pope Francis could be the one to show TLC to the traditional side. Benedict … Continue reading
I am scratching my head this morning. Pope Francis has moved the former Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“, who was eventually consecrated bishop and became the Papal Almoner, back to the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“… as Secretary… again. … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate picked up something from Riposte Catholique (in French). Apparently, the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” sent a letter to the General House of the SSPX in Menzingen, Switzerland. The letter is signed by the PCED’s Vice-President Archbishop Augustine DiNoia, OP. … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate, who are often on top of this sort of thing, reveal a letter sent by the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” to a questioner. The letter is unsigned, though it has the stamp of the Commission. Here, … Continue reading
From VIS: The Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” takes this occasion to announce that, in its most recent official communication (6 September 2012), the Priestly Fraternity of St. Pius X has indicated that additional time for reflection and study is needed … Continue reading
I am on the road, and it is hard for me to work with this, but here is a first go at something which I think is pretty important. The following article copy-pasted from the PDF of the 8/23/2012 edition … Continue reading
I had read this on La Stampa, the Italian daily, through the scribal services of the intrepid Andrea Tornielli. However, knowing that it was on La Stampa, I figured it would also be on Rorate. I was not wrong. You … Continue reading
From VIS: In data 17 aprile 2012 è pervenuto, come richiesto nell’incontro del 16 marzo 2012, svoltosi presso la sede della Congregazione per la Dottrina della Fede, il testo della risposta di S.E. Mons. Bernard Fellay, Superiore Generale della Fraternità … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Msgr. Guido Pozzo Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” Palazzo del Sant’Uffizio 00120 Vatican City Reverend and Dear Monsignor, The Instruction Universae Ecclesiae states in par. 8 that “the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum constitutes an important expression of … Continue reading
In this PODCAzT we listen to the Instruction issued by the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” on the implementation of Summorum Pontificum of Benedict XVI. At the beginning I have an introduction to give us some context. I read in Latin … Continue reading
Today the Instruction Universae Ecclesiae (UE) has been released. I reformatted the documents I received and make them available in English HERE, or Latin HERE. Here are some rapid points to help you read the document on your own. The … Continue reading