SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mo7 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Safe travels, Father.”
- amenamen on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “N d7 to f6; P f4 to f3 Q c3 to e5 mate”
- Kathleen10 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “I’m sorry for you, Fr. Z. It’s obvious how much you love being there, and it must be excellent to…”
- Greg the Geologist on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: “I’ve driven down Ventura Boulevard in Reseda more than a few times, have yet to see any vampires – or…”
- KathyL on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: ““When There is No Joy in Dustville” would be a great title for a book, or if this doesn’t work…”
- BeatifyStickler on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Is the bronze bust of St. Philip also a reliquary? More and more I believe he is a Saint for…”
- maternalView on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: ““It also provided an opportunity for people to be generous to them…” That’s other half of the equation. I know folks…”
- Sid Cundiff in NC on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “I had hoped that you would have been able to live fulltime in Rome.”
- TheCavalierHatherly on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “A nice little Positif Organ. They’re great for accompanying a low Mass. Since we’re all about accompaniment. To quote some…”
- Discipula on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: “When my dog finds a snake in the yard she’ll flip it up into the air in a very karate…”
- Irish Timothy on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Safe travels home Father Z! Thank you for all the posts during your trip, the prayers, updates and great meal…”
- Saint110676 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “For sure, traveling is no longer relaxing, as it was decades ago, at least for me. Too much stress at…”
- hwriggles4 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Have a safe trip home Father Z. Hopefully you won’t have trouble making a connection at ATL, EWR, JFK, MSP,…”
- ThePapalCount on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Fr Z thanks for taking us all along on your sojourn to Rome – again. Never tire of your photos…”
- Tom of John of God on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Thank you for taking us with you on this beautiful pilgrimage. I have looked forward to each day’s post, and…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile
- Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.
- Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection
- ROME 23/05 – Day 31: Last full day and an “If only…”.
- Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Monday: from bondage, freedom – from anxiety, peace
- ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.
- 25 May 2023: Litany of St. Philip Neri and Prayer of Card. Baronio – VIDEO
- “Oh people will come, Reverend Mother. People will most definitely come….”
- ROME 23/05 – Day 26: Truly precious
- WDTPRS: Mass Prayers “Pro seipso sacerdote – For the priest himself” (1962MR)
- 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination
- 23 May 2023 – Reinstallation of St. Philip Neri’s altarpiece – VIDEO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-21 – Cufflinks
- ROME 23/05 – Day 25: Picture show
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-20 – “Breakout” session
- This might provoke a Snicker or two.
- A good point in Card. Burke’s book on when Communion should be denied
- OMNIUM GATHERUM: TLM pilgrimage, Music, Miracle sought
- ROME 23/05 – Day 24: Hoofing it and blossoms
- Laus Deo! Great news from Gower Abbey in Missouri
- Chicago Alderman to Card. Cupich: FREE THE SHRINE!
- ROME 23/05 – Day 23: Purple, Pizza and Puzzle
- ROME 23/05 – Day 22: Banns and bans
- ACTION ITEM! New Roman vestments for the parish – UPDATES – Starting to collect the pledges.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th Sunday after Easter, Sunday after Ascension (N.O.: 7th of) 2023
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: Joseph Ratzinger
MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
At Crisis there is a MUST READ piece by Jennifer Bryson Why Do Heretics Remain in the Church? The counterfactual optimism of heretics keeps them in the Church while working to destroy it. A perennial question. She breaks it down … Read More
“Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
This is it. Amen. “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”. Cardinal Roche please read anything Pope Benedict wrote. It will help you return to the Catholic faith. https://t.co/hZf7T57gkM — Bishop J. Strickland (@Bishopoftyler) March 24, 2023 Fr. Z … Read More
STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
Here also are my audio projects of the Way of the Cross. On 1st Fridays, do please pray the Act of Reparation. What we need right now is PRAYER, especially now. And remember to GO TO CONFESSION! For priests, especially, try The Way Of … Read More
Buon Onomastico… Happy Name Day… Holy Father Benedict XVI and also another titan of the Church. BONUS: a short excursion of the imagination.
Today, the Feast of St. Joseph, is the baptismal name day of Joseph Ratzinger, who chose as his regnal name, Benedict. Here is a tweet from a canceled titan of the Church. It is an honor to live at the … Read More
Before “Alleluia!”, comes “Eli! Eli! Lama sabachthani?” – Wherein @FatherZ rants.
At The Catholic Thing Russell Shaw pressed on a neuralgic point in a discussion of what I call the “demographic sink hole” that is opening inexorably under the Church in these USA. While at toward the end he brings up … Read More
Essential Reading about the Mass and about Priesthood
Here is some essential reading about the Traditional Mass. The Traditional Mass: History, Form, and Theology of the Classical Roman Rite by Michael Fiedrowicz. US HERE – UK HERE Nothing Superfluous: An Explanation of the Symbolism of the Rite of St. Gregory the Great by Fr. … Read More
New video documentary about Benedict XVI from German TV
At National Catholic Register the intrepid Ed Pentin has posted at there is a 30 minute video documentary in German about Pope Benedict XVI’s life in the Vatican Gardens. It aired on German TV on 3 January. HERE It is … Read More
Are we still trustworthy?
And now a short excursion into common sense. “I am of the opinion, to be sure, that the old rite should be granted much more generously to all those who desire it. It’s impossible to see what could be dangerous … Read More
Benedict XVI on three purposes for Corpus Christi
In 1986 the English edition of Joseph Ratzinger’s Feast of Faith was published by Ignatius Press. US HERE – UK HERE In that volume Benedict XVI reflected on the feast of Corpus Christi. His Holiness juxtaposed the sad decline of Eucharistic devotions … Read More
ASK FATHER: Is it OK to clap at the end of the recessional hymn at Sunday Mass?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: At our Sunday Masses there is instantaneous applause at the end of the recessional hymn. Is this OK? I have sent many emails to the parish priest and he agreed that this is not correct but … Read More
Concerning some bad ideas about how to “enrich” the traditional, Extraordinary Form
UPDATE: Another reaction at NLM. UPDATE: Be sure to read a response posted at CWR by a priest who wrote his thesis on Universae Ecclesiae. HERE ___ Originally Published on: Feb 8, 2017 ___ When I was around the Pontifical Commission … Read More
A serious Catholic way to “accompany” the sinner?
I had an interesting email in my box today. What do you think? Hi Father, I’ve been reading through Ratzinger’s book “Behold the Pierced One“. [UK – HERE] In it, he addresses the issue of the prohibition of communion to the divorced … Read More
Peter Kwasniewski: Why tradition is important and reverence alone isn’t enough
Over a Rorate there is something so good that it compels me to overcome even their animosity toward me, extend an olive branch again, and direct you there to read patiently and completely. Peter Kwasniewski of Wyoming Catholic College (where … Read More
How about a Masters in RATZINGER STUDIES? – UPDATE
Last November I posted HERE about getting a Masters in Ratzinger Studies at the Augustinianum in Rome. They do the program in both Italian and English and it has been a huge success. HERE Now saw on Crux 2.0 an interview … Read More
The Ascension and Lordly Feet
There are many images of the Lord’s Ascension to heaven. The one’s I like the most are the medieval depictions which show the Apostles and Mary looking up and all you see above are a pair of lordly Feet. There … Read More
More reasons for the promotion of Summorum Pontificum
The Congregation for Divine Worship in Rome received a new Prefect last November, His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah. He should be a good, solid Prefect. At the same time, however, there was a bit of a purge of, say, the … Read More
UPDPATE ON ACTION ITEM! BOOKS FOR SEMINARIANS
UPDATE 11 Aug pm: Okay… it looks as if Amazon found more copies of Turning Toward The Lord. Now they only cost $96 each! Thus I am removing it from the list. We shall have what we have and make … Read More
St. John XXIII doesn’t like it when you clap in church. So STOP it! (VIDEO)
Joseph Card. Ratzinger – now Benedict XVI – wrote in his Spirit of the Liturgy: “Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been … Read More