Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ms. M-S: I’ve noticed that, having read anything here including “whe rein Fr. Z rants,R 21; I never go away unrewarded .
- HeatherPA: Devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows is very effecatiou s and helps tremendous ly with spiritual advancemen t. Additional ly, Father Chad Ripperger recommends praying to Our Lady of Sorrows...
- HeatherPA: “whi ps of Your wrath̶ 1; may make too many of the gang up in there feel squirmy and yukky and not fluffy and, er, nice… ; not to mention not forwarding the dialec...
- TKS: Thank you, Father. I cannot express how much these Masses help me. I hope you can continue. I found a box of old missals from my deceased relatives and I am using one called “My Lenten...
- ChrisP: I find myself suddenly struck by the awesome, Divinely inspired coincidenc e of the first Marian Sorrow also being a part of the 4th Joyful Mystery of the Rosary. Joy always comforts and...
- Zephyrinus: Dear Fr. Z. As always, grateful thanks for the Divine Mass (Live-Stre amed), today, for The Feast of The Seven Sorrows of The Blessed Virgin Mary. The enforced absence of “normal” Mass...
- Hidden One: The texts of the new votive Mass are milk. The texts of the old votive Mass are meat (or fish). Many of the faithful are not ready for this meat. Those of the faithful who are ready for...
- bobbird: Perhaps we will continue in this Virus Mess until: Catholics return to more correctly disposed liturgical rites (I actually witnessed a tremendous NO Mass in Fargo a few years ago)....
- scrchristensen: I am very happy to see this coming online. One thing to note: I originally volunteere d my experience and David reached out to me. However, I never heard back from him after sharing...
- THREEHEARTS: mike hurcum writes: As an altarboy, in the 1950’ ;s and after, we were taught, by the Roman Missal of t hat time, and by the priests, mothers and aunties never to turn our backs...
- JustaSinner: Nice picture of a flagrum, but if you use three strands of leather with three sharp balls, you get a cat’ o nine.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Interestin g. The Dominican Rite collect for the Votive Mass in Times of Pestilence (to be simulcast here tomorrow: https://li vestream.c om/opwest/ events/906 4867) is...
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z.
- Jim: Great idea! However the problems of the enemy controllin g the hosting service (E.g., Google Cloud/Amaz on/GoDaddy etc.) and of the enemy controllin g the DNS/ISP needs to be solved. Otherw...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father. Great pauses in the Latin prayer, it was easier that way to figure out object, subject, and what went where.
- Rob in Maine: Enlisted! As a Navy Man, I’d prefer an image of a sailor running up the flags or using a signal lamp, but the soldier is A-Ok!
- HeatherPA: May the Angels guard this work, Father. I have intimate experience with being taken offline this year, and I am actually shocked to have been able to even comment here these last few...
- GHP: I love the allusion to the Army Signal Corps branch insignia: https://up load.wikim edia.org/w ikipedia/c ommons/b/b 8/Insignia _signal.sv g “The Signal Corps branch insignia is repres...
- Barnacle: Beautiful. Memories revived: my big brother as priest in his dressing gown giving all us younger brothers and sisters ‘com munionR 17; (corn flakes!) kneeling on the lawn. We got...
- jaykay: Simon and Semper G: you may be aware of Paul KengorR 17;s excellent 2017 book: “A Pope and A President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordin ary Untold Story of the 20th...
- Baritone: Thank you, Father, for these live streamed Masses! May God bless you for your charity. As I listened to the reading from Daniel, I kept thinking how appropriat e this was to our time and...
- Semper Gumby: Simon_GNR: You are correct sir. Many people, from historians and authors to regular joes like you and me, appreciate Reagan, Thatcher and St. John Paul II. Could they have done more?...
- PatriciusOenus: Are there any additions here which have been entirely composed for the purpose of the Missal or are all the texts mined from former texts?
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father.
- Simon_GNR: Semper Gumby – I love that quotation from President Reagan! History will recognise Mr Reagan as one of America 217;s best presidents .
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- @BoiseBishop goes to the liturgical zoo. Attempts to forbid “ad orientem” worship, kneeling for Communion, etc.
- ASK FATHER: Ritual “solita oscula” in the time of coronavirus
- Friday after 1st Passion Sunday: Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows and the “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- WDTPRS: Collect of the new Mass “In time of pandemic” v. Collect of traditional Mass, “In time of pestilence”. Wherein Fr. Z rants
- 3 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Seven Sorrows of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 38 – Friday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Who do we think we are?
- Introducing the Catholic Signal Corps
- 2 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Thursday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 37 – Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- READER FEEDBACK: Live Masses and what the The British Government just did
- 1 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Wednesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – And a cute kid…
- LENTCAzT 2020: 36 – Wednesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Christ’s most painful wound
- Fomites of Viruses, Fomites of Sins, and YOU
- 31 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Tuesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 35 – Tuesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Don’t step ahead of Providence!
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: penance
Fr. Jerabek, at his blog, has a good reminder about Lenten penance, and Fridays, and fasting and abstinence. All Fridays of the year are days of penance. Fridays of Lent are more specific. All Catholics who have completed 14 years … Continue reading
The other day, Archbp. Vigano, bless him, issued a public letter in which he calls for disgraced Theodore McCarrick publicly to repent. I have on various occasions opined that bishops should prostrate themselves in the steps of their cathedrals in … Continue reading
Today is Lady Day, the Feast of the Annunciation, the instant of the Incarnation… and we would be celebrating it if it were not for the vagaries of the Moon. Palm Sunday and Holy Week have pushed our observance to another … Continue reading
For those of you who may think that Lent is a pretty tough time to be a Catholic, giving up chocolate and so forth, this is what our forebears did for Lent in these USA (my emphases and comments): DIOCESE … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In my 14.75 years as a Catholic, I’ve heard that Advent: 1) Is a penitential season 2) Is a semi-penitentials season 3) Is no longer a penitential season but was before Vatican II 4) Never was … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am responsible for a brunch which is served after the Saint Patrick’s Day Mass at the Cathedral in my Archdiocese. This year, Saint Patrick falls on a Friday of Lent. I believe this means I … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it grave matter to laugh or joke when in need of Confession? (That is, when one has committed mortal sin and intends to go to Confession at the next opportunity.) Aristotle points out that man … Continue reading
Each year during the Octave of Easter – and of Christmas – there is a Friday. Fridays are days of penance, usually observed by abstinence from meat. So, can one eat meat on Friday in the Octave of Easter? The … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Every First Friday, a neighboring parish hosts a fundraiser dinner at which they serve beef or chicken, except during Lent. Many of our friends (homeschooling families) are parishioners there and attend every month. We hear that it’s delicious fare and … Continue reading
I suspect that some of you clicked on the link when you saw the headline because you want to read my predictable rant about the “gay” thing in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York and the local archbishop’s … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am struggling with food and alcohol addiction. After confessing this, my penance was to fast the next day after such indulgences. I was discouraged. My confessor did not know my circumstances. I have successfully done … Continue reading
What is it I have been shouting? From CNA: Pope: Be courageous, go to confession Vatican City, Feb 19, 2014 / 04:57 am (CNA).- During his Wednesday audience, Pope Francis encouraged the pilgrims filling St. Peter’s Square to receive the … Continue reading
From a reader: im getting married on friday may 31st the day after Corpus Christi. can i eat meat at the reception or do i need a dispensation? All Fridays, except for liturgical Solemnities, are days of penance even if … Continue reading
From a priest: For those that follow the 1962 calendar or simply follow the traditional penitential days, are the ember days in the octave of Pentecost days of fast? It would seem not since the octave days, similar to Easter, … Continue reading