SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TWF on FOR SALE: “BeatifyStickler: Not coast to coast. We have plenty of reverent NO Masses in Vancouver (including at the cathedral where Latin…”
- Charivari Rob on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “TonyO, I’d say one or two logical possibilities were missing. My experience was “didn’t have time to go looking” —…”
- Fr. Reader on FOR SALE: “Many would see this as something good and necessary: get rid of this old medieval stuff. They are places for…”
- sevensixtwo187 on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images: “We had a very nice crowd for the High Mass for The Annunciation on Saturday (around 300) and then on…”
- FRLBJ on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images: “All the main statues were covered, but not the Stations of the Cross. We have so many statues. Some are…”
- JPCahill on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images: “We (the Ordinariate) use the same lectionary as the Novus Ordo, except instead of the NAB the RSV-CE is used.…”
- JamesM on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images: “In the Community Centre/Gym that I was in for Mass yesterday there were no statues visible to veil. However there…”
- Imrahil on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “Note that the later Pope Benedict thinks his 2nd hypothesis is a hypothesis, it could be. I quite agree to…”
- BeatifyStickler on FOR SALE: “I lived in Nova Scotia as a child. This is where the Latin Mass was said in the late 80’s…”
- Charivari Rob on FOR SALE: ““Douglas Fur” wood?”
- diaconus_in_urbe on WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes: ““From today, in the Extraordinary Form the “Iudica” psalm is no longer said during the prayers at the foot of…”
- CamB12 on FOR SALE: “This is in my diocese. Very sad!”
- Philmont237 on FOR SALE: “If I had the money I’d buy all of these churches and turn them into oratories. In an unrelated but…”
- Bryan D. Boyle on FOR SALE: “@TheBackPew: how much? Thinking lots of millions USD. Demolition of a building this size (how I know has much to…”
- APX on FOR SALE: “It also comes with a fully functional pipe organ. (There’s a community of church organists quite interested in the organ).…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 35: Tuesday Passiontide – When the hour comes
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images
- Daily Rome Shot 702
- FOR SALE
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!
- POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes
- Daily Rome Shot 701
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 33: 1st Passion Sunday – Passiontide begins
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 32: Saturday 4th Week – Annunciation
- MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
- Daily Rome Shot 700
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 31: Friday 4th Week – Dead but rising
- Daily Rome Shot 698
- Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 30: Thursday 4th Week – Eternal death and YOU – CORRECTED
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: penance
LENTCAzT 2023 – 12: 2nd Sunday of Lent – Sticking to Tradition
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: Santa Maria in Domnica TODAY: Bl. Ildefonso has a brief, beautiful insight into the importance of adhering to our traditions. We learn that once there was no … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 11: Ember Saturday in Lent: Transfiguration
Roman Station: St. Peters Collect: Santa Maria in Traspontina TODAY: We hear about the Saturday Ember Day and St. Peter’s Basilica and then Fr. Troadec helps us out about the Transfiguration. Fr. John Zuhlsdorf · LENTCAzT 2023 – 11: Ember … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 10: Ember Friday 1st Week of Lent – Regret… to late
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: Santi Dodici Apostoli – Collect: San Marco TODAY: We hear of the amazing church which is the Station. Thomas a Kempis sobers us up. Fr. John Zuhlsdorf … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 09: Thursday 1st Week of Lent – When God is harsh with us.
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: San Lorenzo in Panisperna. The Collect church is Sant’Agata dei Goti. Today we hear a bit about the amazing number of church in Rome dedicated to St. … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 08: Ember Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Deathbed repentance
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Collect Church is San Pietro in Vincoli and the Roman Station is Santa Maria Maggiore. It is Ember Wednesday in Lent, so we hear briefly about Ember Days. Then … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 07: Tuesday 1st Week of Lent – Blindness
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: Sant’Anastasia (Collect: San Nicola in Carcere) Fr. Troadec explores blindness and prayer. Fr. John Zuhlsdorf · LENTCAzT 2023 – 07: Tuesday 1st Week of Lent – Blindness
LENTCAzT 2023 – 06: Monday 1st Week of Lent – Certainty
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: St. Peter in Chains (Collect Sts. Cosmas and Damian) We begin some reflections on the one thing that is certain but that we cannot predict. Fr. John … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 05: 1st Sunday of Lent – Forty
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: St. John Lateran. No Collect church today. Today we hear from Fr. Troadec about the importance of 40. Bl. Ildefonso cites St. Gregory the Great on what … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 04: Saturday after Ash Wednesday – Gossip
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: Santa Sabina. The Collect: S. Lorenzo in Lucina. Today we hear the Prayer Over the People after visiting the Roman Station. Then Fr. Troadec gives us a … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 03: Friday after Ash Wednesday – Feast of St. Matthias
Fr. John Zuhlsdorf · LENTCAzT 2023 – 02: Friday after Ash Wednesday – Feast of St. Matthew Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: Sts. John and Paul on the Coelian Hill (Collect: S. … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 02: Thursday after Ash Wednesday
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Roman Station: San Giorgio in Velabro (Collect: San Nicola in Carcere) Fr. John Zuhlsdorf · LENTCAzT 2023 – 02: Thursday after Ash Wednesday Today we hear about the military … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 01: Ash Wedesday – We all fall down.
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Today, some notes about the beautiful responsory from the Blessing of Ashes, Emendemus in melius. We hear the second prayer of the blessing of ashes and attend to today … Read More
LENTCAzT 2023 – 00: Shrove Tuesday – reminders
Daily 5 minute podcast to help you in your Lenten discipline. Today, we hear what “Shrove” means as in Shrove Tuesday, another name for “Fat Tuesday” or “Mardi Gras”. What is Lent called and why? We have a few reminders … Read More
ASK FATHER: Francis said priests must NEVER deny absolution. True? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
I’m getting a lot of questions about something that Francis said to seminarians from Barcelona. Story at the Catholic Herald HERE. As the tale goes, Francis delivered profanity-studded “off the cuff” remarks to seminarians, including “not to be clerical, to forgive everything”, adding … Read More
ASK FATHER: I failed to do my confession penance. Now what?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I went to confession the other day to get back into the state of grace with the plan to get my spiritual life back in order after slacking and falling into habitual mortal sin during the … Read More
ASK FATHER: Penance on Friday, Octave of Christmas
I had a note from a reader about the need to do penance on this coming Friday, which is the Octave of Christmas. The short answer is NO. Why? Because according to Canon Law, Catholics are bound to do penance … Read More
Minimalist Catholics or More?
Fr. Jerabek, at his blog, has a good reminder about Lenten penance, and Fridays, and fasting and abstinence. All Fridays of the year are days of penance. Fridays of Lent are more specific. All Catholics who have completed 14 years … Read More
Public penance and public reparation
The other day, Archbp. Vigano, bless him, issued a public letter in which he calls for disgraced Theodore McCarrick publicly to repent. I have on various occasions opined that bishops should prostrate themselves in the steps of their cathedrals in … Read More
25 March – Feast of the Thief who “stole heaven”: St. Dismas
Today is Lady Day, the Feast of the Annunciation, the instant of the Incarnation… and we would be celebrating it if it were not for the vagaries of the Moon. Palm Sunday and Holy Week have pushed our observance to another … Read More
What would your Lent have been like in 1873?
For those of you who may think that Lent is a pretty tough time to be a Catholic, giving up chocolate and so forth, this is what our forebears did for Lent in these USA (my emphases and comments): DIOCESE … Read More