Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: A Happy 4th of July to all. God bless America and long may her flag wave. “It is our solemn duty as Catholics, therefore, to be conscious of our duty to America, and to prese...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: The Star-spang led Banner by the BRCC Rhythm and Blues Revue. https://yo utu.be/DHL lwiLebkc
- dafrenchman: In the meantime, our local Bishop is supporting BLM https://ww w.dolr.org /article/b ishop-issu es-black-l ives-matte r-statemen t The reference links are a who’ s who of left...
- SKAY: Thank you Father Z. In spite of everything , we are blessed to live in this great country. Thankfully we are still a free nation although there are those who would like to change that with...
- philosophicallyfrank: I use to tell people that we live in strange times; but, not any more. Now I say that we live in bazaar times, both in our secular world and our religious world. Histori...
- Eugene: Correction .. meant to write Kenora NOT Kendra
- Mariana2: Why were oranges tossed?
- Grant M: So communion on the tongue is unambiguou sly FEEDING, whereas communion in the hand is a more ambiguous GIVING, with an implicit contract “giv en for immediate consumptio n ONLY...
- Charivari Rob: In many places where indoor Mass has resumed, caps on the number of people permitted at indoor gatherings and requiremen ts to clean/sani tize the space between uses might mean it is...
- OssaSola: I took a look at the Meditation s book and was disappoint ed to find there were no “Look Inside this Book” sample pages available. Any chance a single meditation could be posted here?
- APX: This is painfully too true.
- Semper Gumby: “War thogs and Harriers 8221; Fast-mover s are always good for morale. Another option is MRAPs filling the street curb to curb, loudspeake rs blaring Dies irae and chuck...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Semper Gumby says: good news Yes, indeed, that IS good news. More good news would be for Air Force A-10 Warthogs to visit the Antifa chaos sure to hatch up from the demonic muck...
- samwise: Mt 13:57 “and they took offense at him”
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: Interestin g. A piece of good news: https://ww w.foxnews. com/opinio n/air-forc e-reverses -decision- to-punish- colonel-fo r-his-reli gious-beli efs Rep. Collins and Rep....
- Priam1184: @Chris Garton-Zav esky In Matthew ch. 25 Our Lord says that “And these WILL go into everlastin g punishment … 221; not they ‘mig ht’ go or ‘it is a...
- Semper Gumby: Eugene: Thanks for your interestin g comment. Remarkable scenery, up North. I spent some time in the Great White North for cold weather training before we continued on to Norway. In...
- Titus: courts will render unenforcea ble excessive clauses for lack of a “meeting of the minds” with such contracts. People should not rely on obtaining this kind of relief. It is very difficult to...
- Fr AJ: I started an outdoor Mass when our Bishop allowed us to resume public Masses. It’s my highest attended Mass, over double the indoor Masses. People have told me they wouldnR 17;t...
- Danteewoo: About thirty years ago a woman friend of ours, then in her mid-80s, stopped someone carrying a Host out of Holy Ghost Church in downtown Denver. The person said, “I can get $25 for...
- JonPatrick: What Eugene said. My family lived in the 1950s in the mining town of Elliot Lake about 100 miles West and North of Sudbury. While the area is fairly sparsely inhabited there are signi...
- Ellen: Father, I’ve been going to Saturday Vigil Mass for years. Saturday is when we have an organist and traditiona l hymns with Latin. The Mass is in English, but celebrated with revere...
- Eugene: I love my American brothers and sisters but your lack of knowledge about the great white North (aka Canada) can get irritating . Northern Ontario is huge and for the most part spars...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z wrote: “Jus t a small symptom, but troublesom e.” Good point. Another troublesom e symptom is the Sightline Media Group, which owns the Military Times, Army Times,...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: “Unl ess the Left has control of the materiel.& #8221; The supply chain will be under non-routin e stress for several reasons in such circumstan ces. About that FRAGORD...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- UPDATE on FEEDBACK: How has the COVID-1984 lockdown changed you LITURGICALLY? Priests and laity.
- 4 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive of Immaculate Heart of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- GREAT BOOK: With Latin in the Service of the Popes: The Memoirs of Antonio Cardinal Bacci (1885?1971)
- Sadly amusing sign of the times
- 3 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Irenaeus – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- ASK FATHER: Should there still be “parking lot Masses” even though churches are opening again?
- ASK FATHER: Signing a contract, like for a credit card, but with 35 pages of small print.
- 2 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Visitation of the BVM – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and St. Aaron and St. Junipero Serra
- The lunacy is spreading: Northern Ontario
- ASK FATHER: Should we ransom Hosts that have been taken so they are not desecrated? At what cost?
- R.I.P. Msgr Georg Ratzinger
- 1 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Most Precious Blood – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Fishwrap’s case of the vapors over a annual, rural gun show hosted in an unused Catholic school
- 30 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Commemoration of St. Paul – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FAMILY! Three more relics have arrived. Fr. Z tells a story.
- Searching for a specific reader who sent something from my wishlist
- SCOTUS decision on Louisiana abortion clinic law.
- 29 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostles – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Your Sunday Sermon notes – 4th Sunday after Pentecost (13th Ordinary) 2020
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio: Fun with Morse
- Concerning statues
- Archbp. Cordilone recites the Exorcism where a statue of St. Junipero Serra was town down. OORAH!
- First Blessings by new priests. Indulgenced? NO! Interesting Latin texts. And Fr. Z rants.
- 27 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Our Lady of Perpetual Help – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- COVID-1984 UPDATE: Doctors say Communion on the tongue while kneeling is safer than Communion on the hand
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “O Captain, my Captain!”
- 26 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. John & Paul, Martyrs – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: Universae Ecclesiae
A bishop explicitly charges all his seminarians to learn the Extraordinary Form. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
For your Brick by Brick file. In another entry I answered a question from a lay person who desired to pray for a priest as he learns the Extraordinary Form of Holy Mass at the request of his bishop. It … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Can diocesan priests use the Extraordinary Form Carmelite or Dominican or Cistercian Rite?
From a reader: I recently read an article about a Carmelite priest who had to jump through all these hoops to get permission to celebrate the Carmelite rite Mass, but then the article pointed out later that, under Universae Ecclesiae … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have publicized that a French bishop, Most. Rev. Jean Bonfils, Emeritus of Nice went to an SSPX chapel in Ajaccio, Corsica and administered the sacrament of Confirmation to 19 people. It seems that the local SSPX … Continue reading
From a seminarian (edited): Fr. Z, thanks for all you do. [My pleasure.] I have learned much from reading your blog over the last few years, and I continue to come here as a seminarian for trusted commentary on different issues. I … Continue reading
During an ordination, someone must stand up in front of the ordaining bishop and attest that seminarians are properly formed and educated and suitable for ordination. However, seminarians of the Latin Church are not being trained in the whole of … Continue reading
From a reader: The New Missal has started in my parish and the music is atrocious. I had to go to the local public high school play to hear Gregorian Chant! No regard for GIRM #41. My Bishop refuses to allow the … Continue reading
It has been a while since I have offered a different WDTPRS mug for your consumption of Mystic Monk Coffee or Tea. Behold, the newest: the Universae Ecclesiae 8 mug. As you know Universae Ecclesiae was the Instruction from the … Continue reading
From a reader: May a duly commissioned Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion distribute the host at Mass in the Extraordinary Form when the celebrating priest is physically impeded from doing so? It would seem that paragraph 28 of Universae Ecclesiae … Continue reading
As we know, Universae Ecclesiae spoke to the need for Latin Church seminarians to know the Extraordinary Form. I would appreciate notes by email from seminarians about what is going on in their programs of formation. Use the CONTACT link … Continue reading
It defies reason, but sometimes we still find bishops who think that Summorum Pontificum and Universae Ecclesiae don’t exist and that they can still order matters concerning the older form of Mass according to the now superseded Ecclesia Dei adflicta. … Continue reading
As you may be aware, some time ago the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings posted on their diocesan website a document about the implementation of Pope Benedict XVI’s provisions in Summorum Pontificum that left some people shocked. That document, over the … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have an interesting piece, which you should read in toto over there. Here are some salient points. Can one be a diocesan priest and celebrate the traditional Mass exclusively? A true motivational example [We [Rorate] consider … Continue reading
UPDATE: There has been a change to the document. Read THIS. _____ ORIGINAL POST: I thought this sort of thing over, and long in the past. A reader sent me a copy of and link to a document issued by … Continue reading
Via Eponymous Flower and Messa in Latino comes something from World Youth Day not covered by the mainstream Catholic media. And one must ask why that is. My emphases: Traditionalist Bishops [Not the SSPX bishops. Bishops with actual faculties and … Continue reading