SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- kurtmasur on “I’ll see your ‘Wakanda!’ and raise you a ‘KATONDA!'” The Feast of St Charles Lwanga, Martyr – A saint we can all take pride in!: “Technically speaking, the TLM is THE Mass of Vatican II.”
- jflare29 on How to view the SSPX.: “One of my frustrations has been the Church’s persistent inability to make a clear decision. And be accountable to it…”
- Fr. Ó Buaidhe on “I’ll see your ‘Wakanda!’ and raise you a ‘KATONDA!'” The Feast of St Charles Lwanga, Martyr – A saint we can all take pride in!: “I read somewhere that the Mass of canonisation was the last Solemn Papal Mass (i.e. with Tiara and Precious Tiara)…”
- Chrisc on How to view the SSPX.: “‘Irregularly regularized’ is a great term, though a bit of a mouthful.”
- acardnal on ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM: “What?! No pastrami or corned beef sandwich from a New York deli either coming or going on this trip. Or…”
- RichR on “I’ll see your ‘Wakanda!’ and raise you a ‘KATONDA!'” The Feast of St Charles Lwanga, Martyr – A saint we can all take pride in!: “After reading this, I then went to the (horrible, yet soon-to-be-defunct) ICEL translation of the Liturgy of the Hours. The…”
- Gregg the Obscure on ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM: “The Georgian cheesy bread dish is Ajaski Khachapuri. House of Bread bakery just down the street from me is well…”
- dinsdale on ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM: “Father Z, the Georgian pastry is called khachapuri, and the one in the photo looks to be excellent!”
- Cornelius on ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM: “SOCOM? But Father, but Father . . .! Why would you be traveling to Special Operations Command? – for that’s…”
- Rod Halvorsen on How to view the SSPX.: “I am always curious as to exactly what piece of paper or utterance from a Pope it will take to…”
- Cornelius on “I’ll see your ‘Wakanda!’ and raise you a ‘KATONDA!'” The Feast of St Charles Lwanga, Martyr – A saint we can all take pride in!: “It is surely no mere coincidence that this Saint – martyred for his rejection of homosex – was given June…”
- Fredi D'Alessio on How to view the SSPX.: “I think many of us who feel liturgically malnourished due to the unavailability of the Traditional Mass in our area…”
- Sue in soCal on Pentecost Saturday: We Are Our Rites.: “God bless you on the anniversary of your ordination, Fr. Z.”
- Fr. Reader on How to view the SSPX.: “Connected to “full Communion” but not to the SSPX. I wish the idea of “state of grace” is fostered a…”
- TWF on How to view the SSPX.: “I don’t think we can get away from the idea of “partial communion”. It clearly exists. The sacraments cannot exist…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 06/3 Day… My View For Awhile: Brooklyn to SOCOM
- “I’ll see your ‘Wakanda!’ and raise you a ‘KATONDA!'” The Feast of St Charles Lwanga, Martyr – A saint we can all take pride in!
- Pentecost Saturday: We Are Our Rites.
- How to view the SSPX.
- Pentecost Friday: You are our stretcher bearers.
- ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile
- Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.
- Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection
- ROME 23/05 – Day 31: Last full day and an “If only…”.
- Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Monday: from bondage, freedom – from anxiety, peace
- ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.
- 25 May 2023: Litany of St. Philip Neri and Prayer of Card. Baronio – VIDEO
- “Oh people will come, Reverend Mother. People will most definitely come….”
- ROME 23/05 – Day 26: Truly precious
- WDTPRS: Mass Prayers “Pro seipso sacerdote – For the priest himself” (1962MR)
- 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination
- 23 May 2023 – Reinstallation of St. Philip Neri’s altarpiece – VIDEO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-21 – Cufflinks
- ROME 23/05 – Day 25: Picture show
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-20 – “Breakout” session
- This might provoke a Snicker or two.
- A good point in Card. Burke’s book on when Communion should be denied
- OMNIUM GATHERUM: TLM pilgrimage, Music, Miracle sought
- ROME 23/05 – Day 24: Hoofing it and blossoms
- Laus Deo! Great news from Gower Abbey in Missouri
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: Universae Ecclesiae
ASK FATHER: A priest asks, can we use the English translations in Weller’s 3 volumes to bless things, etc., in the Extraordinary Form? Here comes the BAD NEWS, Fathers.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I don’t know what I was thinking. I must have had a monsignor moment. There is now available the great Parish Ritual which conforms to what was in force in 1962! I posted about it HERE (and there is … Read More
ASK FATHER: Bishop forces priest to use table altar instead of high altar for Extraordinary Form
From priest… QUAERITUR: Recently my bishop refused to let me celebrate a Solemn High Mass at the high altar of the Church, insisting altar that is used in the Ordinary Form should be used. So I celebrated the Solemn High … Read More
Answers to “Dubia” from the Vatican! About the Traditional Mass and overly restrictive bishops.
If you are a priest who has been hassled by your bishop about saying the traditional Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum, pay attention. Help has arrived. Recently a priest of my acquaintance sent two questions to my old haunts the … Read More
ASK FATHER: The mantelletta and other clerical gear were “abolished” but under Summorum Pontificum can they be used? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am writing with a follow up question to your post yesterday (16 November) on the subject of the mantelletta. HERE In your response to the reader, you mentioned the (dolorous) decision, issued motu proprio, of … Read More
ASK FATHER: EMHCs at TLM… permitted?
From a reader… QUAERITUR (edited): On Sunday I attended the [Traditional Latin Mass – TLM] at ___. What surprised me was that an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (Male) assisted in distributing Holy Communion, Host only. Is this proper or … Read More
ASK FATHER: The priest’s Eucharistic fast in the Extraordinary Form
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I mostly do the Extraordinary Form. I saw in the De defectibus of 1962, it tells priest to fast 3 hours before communion, does that still hold with extra ordinary form Mass or does the hour … Read More
QUAERITUR: Vernacular only readings in traditional Low Mass?
From a reader: We have a priest that insists on reading the epistle & gospel in the vernacular for each Low Mass only. No one cares for it and it doesn’t even sound right. It impacts the integrity and fluidity … Read More
Wherein I write of Requiem Masses, of death and prudence and perennial wisdom
I had a useful and edifying experience today. In a way what happened today dovetails with what I experienced a week or so ago when I carried the Blessed Sacrament for Corpus Christi in the streets of Manhattan. But I’ll … Read More
Annual appeal videos during Mass. Fr. Z posts an example. POLL ALERT!
This morning, before celebration of Low Mass in the Usus Antiquior, it fell to me to introduce a video from the Diocese of Madison about the Annual Catholic Appeal. Since last night I ran into the Bishop, His Excellency Most … Read More
Is training in the Extraordinary Form forbidden at St. Mary’s College in Oscott, England?
I have been sitting on this for months, but… As a preamble, let me repeat something. The Supreme Pontiff’s 2007 Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum established juridically that the Roman Rite has two forms, not one. Thus, if a man has not … Read More
QUAERITUR: Novus Ordo formula of Communion distribution during TLM
From a reader: Dear Father, one of our in-residence priests assisted with the distribution of Holy Communion at the TLM this week. He was very rushed and used the Ordinary Form words and manner — “Body of Christ”, in English, and … Read More
Reminder about Summorum Pontificum 5, Universae Ecclesiae 15 and the “stable group”
For some reason I have had several emails recently – from far-flung places – which all have to do with a common problem that some people are encountering in making petitions for celebrations of Mass in the Extraordinary Form. They … Read More
QUAERITUR: A stable group petitioned the Extraordinary Form, but the “parish council” says NO!
From a young reader: I am a sixteen year old boy, who has requested a TLM mass at my parish a number of times unofficially. After getting several unsatisfactory results, I decided to send a short concise petition to the … Read More
QUAERITUR: Can a traditionalist priest require women to cover their heads during Mass?
From a reader: I have read web sites from FSSP Traditional parishes that indicate women are to cover their heads during Mass. My understanding is that the requirement was removed from Canon Law, thus it is no longer a sin … Read More
IMPORTANT: PCED response to two “dubia” about “legitimacy” in Universae Ecclesiae
I am on the road, and it is hard for me to work with this, but here is a first go at something which I think is pretty important. The following article copy-pasted from the PDF of the 8/23/2012 edition … Read More
A bishop explicitly charges all his seminarians to learn the Extraordinary Form. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
For your Brick by Brick file. In another entry I answered a question from a lay person who desired to pray for a priest as he learns the Extraordinary Form of Holy Mass at the request of his bishop. It … Read More
QUAERITUR: Can diocesan priests use the Extraordinary Form Carmelite or Dominican or Cistercian Rite?
From a reader: I recently read an article about a Carmelite priest who had to jump through all these hoops to get permission to celebrate the Carmelite rite Mass, but then the article pointed out later that, under Universae Ecclesiae … Read More
Bishop confirms 19 people at SSPX chapel. Can you say “Win Win Scenario”?
Our friends at Rorate have publicized that a French bishop, Most. Rev. Jean Bonfils, Emeritus of Nice went to an SSPX chapel in Ajaccio, Corsica and administered the sacrament of Confirmation to 19 people. It seems that the local SSPX … Read More
QUAERITUR: Can the new Lectionary be used with the Extraordinary Form?
From a seminarian (edited): Fr. Z, thanks for all you do. [My pleasure.] I have learned much from reading your blog over the last few years, and I continue to come here as a seminarian for trusted commentary on different issues. I … Read More