Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- James C: “ There is simply no excuse for this type of collusion. It is not “ecumenica l”, it is cooperatio n with evil.“ I am not SSPX massgoer, but I can’t help but think. Many people often ask...
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z. If that was ranting, I wish we could hear more of it every single day in every single church. It certainly inspires me to keep praying for a miracle and a sign.
- Gab: Father Z, thank you. Needed to hear your sage advice about what to do for Holy Week! This year, I won’ t be able to be in Church for Spy Wednesday Tenebrae, nor for the Solemn Pontifi...
- fr.ignatius: I have been studying the rite and have done ef triduum three times before. I think Thursday no problem 230; no washing of feet. Slightly tricky at the end with the altar of repose...
- Shonkin: Sacrilege!
- excalibur: Social distancing baptism. Oh my. https://i0 .wp.com/ww w.powerlin eblog.com/ ed-assets/ 2020/04/Sc reen-Shot- 2020-04-02 -at-3.47.4 8-PM.png?w =996&s sl=1
- OssaSola: March 30 here in Texas Governor Abbot signed an Executive Order stating that churches must be opened. The diocese is still taking no calls and our parish priest said there has been no...
- Animadversor: Ego si scissem istud admodum te iuvare…
- marnie: Father Z, that was wonderfull y done And to read it, exceptiona lly fun We’re living an age Where we all want to rage But the battle is already won.
- Denis Crnkovic: Please, someone, find truthful and correct informatio n about what happened here so we can rightfully decide what this was and what we need to do!
- Denis Crnkovic: A priest friend of mine immediatel y set up parking lot confession s (along with portable screens!) but has been thwarted by his bishop and ordered to stop. In my humble opinion he...
- Charlotte Allen: It’s possible that this is a photoshop& #8211;and I certainly hope so. I can’ t believe that any priest, even an idiot liberal priest in idiot self-hatin g Irela...
- Suburbanbanshee: Easter should be at Easter, but we could have a very solemn Pentecost. (I was going to suggest having a big Byzantine Easter, but that is April 19 and does not seem likely.)
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father.
- Hidden One: What about the Triduum with two servers and a cameraman (for the livestream )? Four people should be below the limit for gatherings in most places, and would the cameraman not be...
- Fr. Kelly: Fr. Z. Thank you for highlighti ng Fr. Jackson 217;s comment and plugging his excellent book. I am proud to have had him as my rector for a year. He did much to cement my vocation to...
- UncleBlobb: Dear Father Z., Thank you so very much for all of these LentCazts! Also, for your daily Mass video, including the ferverini( plural?)! It’s helping to keep me going.
- JMody: Fr. Z, regarding this comment, one could consider the following – the sinkhole is opening, the numbers are dropping in both the pews and the coffers, and they must seriously worry....
- APX: I am currently watching the NZ FSSP Live Stream of Palm Sunday on livemass.n et under the St. Corona Project. As NZ is several hours ahead of North America (and also in complete lockdown and...
- JMody: You almost wonder if they’ ;re trying to one-up the Diocese of Bergamo … in every way …
- Eoin OBolguidhir: And three of the four total musulmans in Tuam were delighted, with the fourth being unsure any of them should ever be willing to be associated with the Catholic Church.
- Marc in Eugene: I thought I had remembered – obviously, I remembered wrong̵ 1; that a priest needs a server except in the most exceptiona l of circumstan ces. I’ll search here and...
- APX: Stephen Matthew I was simply thinking organizing scheduled times to receive communion. We’re allowed no more than 15 people in public gatherings . Our church and our hall, which is complet...
- Stephen Matthew: The parish here has set up “drive through” confession s for two hours each Saturday and Sunday afternoon. There is one of those covered structures to drop off car passengers , and...
- docsmith54: The rubrics are clear enough. Benedict’s instructio n on TLM and the (tweaked) 1962 Missal is clear enough. What is not clear is what canonical documents made ad populum even permiss...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2020: 40 – Palm Sunday: This will be a truly mysterious Holy Week
- Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL! A spiffy message in Latin!
- ASK FATHER: The Sacred Triduum in the Extraordinary Form privately, without people.
- Fr. Z’s Gold Star For The Day: Dr. Peter Kwasniewski
- The Church’s highest confessor, Card. Piacenza, says that, in this time of COVID-19, there must not be “ecclesial distancing”
- 4 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- @TuamArchdiocese in Ireland – Muslim Friday prayer in church alongside the priest – VIDEO AUDIO
- LENTCAzT 2020: 39 – Saturday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Martyrdom
- @BoiseBishop goes to the liturgical zoo. Attempts to forbid “ad orientem” worship, kneeling for Communion, etc.
- ASK FATHER: Ritual “solita oscula” in the time of coronavirus
- Friday after 1st Passion Sunday: Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows and the “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- WDTPRS: Collect of the new Mass “In time of pandemic” v. Collect of traditional Mass, “In time of pestilence”. Wherein Fr. Z rants
- 3 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Seven Sorrows of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 38 – Friday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Who do we think we are?
- Introducing the Catholic Signal Corps
- 2 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Thursday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 37 – Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- READER FEEDBACK: Live Masses and what the The British Government just did
- 1 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Wednesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – And a cute kid…
- LENTCAzT 2020: 36 – Wednesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Christ’s most painful wound
- Fomites of Viruses, Fomites of Sins, and YOU
- 31 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Tuesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 35 – Tuesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Don’t step ahead of Providence!
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Extraordinary Form
Today the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (which absorbed my old office, the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“) issued a decree making it possible to celebrate saints canonized after 1906 using the traditional Missale Romanum. HERE In another decree … Continue reading
Huge news for the use of the traditional Missale Romanum, the Extraordinary Form. The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith absorbed my old office, the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei“. Thus, the CDF has charge over matters of the Extraordinary … Continue reading
Invariably, priests who learn the Extraordinary (because it’s great, not because supposed to be rare) experience a shift in their understanding of Holy Mass and their position as priest/victim at the altar. Here is a blurb I picked up from Messa … Continue reading
UPDATE 11 June: A spokeswoman for the @orderofmalta in Rome has confirmed to me this morning that this June 10 letter of the Grand Master banning all liturgical ceremonies in the Extraordinary Form within the Order is genuine. pic.twitter.com/J2aUrCUiWY — … Continue reading
There’s a first time for everything. First times rarely encompass all that can be encompassed. But, they are a beginning. After that, brick by brick. From a reader… Father, I’ve been reading your blog for a few years, and thought … Continue reading
The pastor of the parish where I came into the Church was downright disgusted with the Archdiocese’s approach to vocations and the priest shortage crisis that would follow. He used to compare the geniuses of the vocations office et al. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In thinking about Benedict XVI’s teaching on the liturgy it wondered me if the TLM/Usus antiquior is a dead liturgy per se? If liturgy ought to grow (be reformed?) *organically* (as opposed to post-Vatican II “reform”), is the Tridentine … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly the Catholic Herald, print edition (subscribe HERE). My emphases and comments. Is there really an Old Mass revival? Ten years ago Benedict XVI lifted restrictions on the Old Rite. So what had changed in Britain, … Continue reading
UPDATE: Another reaction at NLM. UPDATE: Be sure to read a response posted at CWR by a priest who wrote his thesis on Universae Ecclesiae. HERE ___ Originally Published on: Feb 8, 2017 ___ When I was around the Pontifical Commission … Continue reading
It is sometimes observed that elements of the Roman Rite, both traditional and revised, accrued as if my accident. Liberals contemptuously squint at gestures (especially the reverent ones) as if they were barnacles on the hull of a ship that … Continue reading
On 1 July, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, by the grace of God and the Apostolic See Bishop of Madison (aka The Extraordinary Ordinary), sang a Pontifical Mass at the Throne in the Roman Rite’s traditional form. Holy Mass … Continue reading
Since I am a displaced Minnesotan, a reader thought that this bit of news might be of interest. NCReg has an interview a player on Minnesota Vikings, Kevin McDermott, both a mackeral-snapper and a long-snapper. Here is the bit that caught … Continue reading
From a priest… Dear Fr. Zuhlsdorf, My name is Fr. ___, and I am a priest of the Diocese of ___. I would appreciate it if you would keep my e-mail anonymous. I wanted to tell you that I am … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I was told by a reverent, well-formed priest who celebrates the old Mass well and often that the formula for distribution for communion is not specified in the missal. [Ooops!] He showed me that in the … Continue reading
This is from a reader… Fr Z, thanks for all you do. You are one of the top 3 reads every day for me. Bishop Olson recently erected a personal parish for those who ‘remain attached to the celebration’ of the EF. … Continue reading