25 Oct – “This day is called the Feast of Crispian…”

Today is the Feast of Crispin and Crispinian.

The 3rd c. martyrs Crispin and Crispinian were killed in Soissons.  They converted people as they plied their trade as cobblers and they were generous to the poor.  Eventually they were persecuted by the local governor and eventually beheaded around on 25 Oct 286 in the time of the Emperor Diocletian.  A different version has them in England, in Faversham, which is surely the version Shakespeare worked with.   St. Eligius made a reliquary for the head of Crispinian.

How could we go without some samples of the great speech?

Henry V (1944) directed by and starring Lawrence Olivier

Henry V (1989) directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh

Richard Burton’s version:

Tom Hiddleston from the Hollow Crown series. US HERE UK HERE

Renaissance Man with Lillo Brancato, Jr.

Here is another, from the well-reviewed Globe production.

Happy Feast of Sts. Crispin and Crispinian.

And let the revival of our liturgical worship continue.

The numbers of Holy Masses in the Extraordinary Form are growing, though but slowly.    Also, I fear that the number of bishops, priests and laity who accept what the Church teaches about marriage is shrinking.

For now content us saying “the fewer men, the greater share of honour”.

This entry was posted in Saints: Stories & Symbols and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 25 Oct – “This day is called the Feast of Crispian…”

1. Legisperitus says:

The Papa Stronsay calendar refers to October 25 as “Little Christmas.” I can’t find anything online about this designation as applied to October 25. Anyone here who knows more about it?

2. JabbaPapa says:

And yet let us never forget :

3. Clayton says:

“Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria!”

4. mulieribus says:

In response to Legisperitus: “The Transalpine Redemptorists who live on Papa Stronsay celebrate ‘Little Christmas’ on the twenty-fifth day of every month, except for December, when the twenty-fifth day is of course celebrated as Christmas Day.”

5. Malta says:

Saints Perpetua and Felicitas, pray for us. They were braver than most men are today.

6. Jack in NH says:

Father, when did this feast ‘disappear’? The web tells me that it was removed after V2, but none of my missals (1936-1959) mention it anywhere.
    I’m puzzled…

7. mibethda says:

The official Roman Martyrology of Benedict XIV (a revision descended from that of Gregory XIII, and, ultimately, from that of Usard), which essentially remained in effect until revised in 2001, listed about ten martyrs or groups of martyrs and saints whose feast day was recognized in the universal Church as occurring on October 25. The first listed were Chrysanthus and his wife, Daria, and these are the saints whose feast appear in the Missal. Crispin and Crispinius are further down the list and, while their feast could be elected to be celebrated or commemorated universally, it was probably common in only a few areas except for the reading of the Lesson from the Martyrology at Prime in monasteries.

[Oh yeah? I respond, “This day is called the FEAST OF CRISPIAN!…”]

8. adriennep says:

Oh, how I wish for those pastors and priests who joyfully promote the Saints of our Church’s Calendar. It would be nice if they even mentioned some occasionally in homily, and not the usual social justice drivel. St. Faustina is another whose day is not on the “official” USCCB calendar, and every October 5 I have to ask why. The Church calendar with all the special saints is one of the very unique gifts we have as Catholics. Learn our Saints, learn our Ancestors!

And I love Fr. Z for having this collection of Shakespeare clips readily at hand for us. It reminds how very poor is our teaching today. Most students would rather tackle Ancient Greek than listen to this glorious heritage we English-speaking people have in the Bard. [?!?!?]
    I wonder how many schools even try to encounter Shakespeare these days.

[I get what you mean. However, may I say as someone who did lots of Greek in grad school, even read fragments of Menander and lots of Pindar, who even taught Greek, that I detest Greek to the point that I might even rather listen to … hmmm. I’m stumped. I was about to say an Obama speech, but no. Well… let’s just say… okay… I’m still stuck. But, Ancient Greek? REALLY?]

9. Prayerful says:

Fine clips, although the film shows knights being hoisted on horses. Knights were expected to be able to jump on their horse armoured, which was lighter than perceived, and maybe the researchers only looked at parade armour. Perhaps fewer reenactors then.

Anyhow, we should be thankful we now have FrancisSaints [No. No. Just… no. Please, let’s not do that sort of thing around here. Object to the canonization: okay. But let’s avoid that childish mishmash.] who perished in the high cause of Communism. No mere saving of souls.

10. Semper Gumby says:

Great post and comments. Well done JabbaPapa et al with the Churchill, Braveheart, and Agincourt clips. For the St. Crispin Day speech, all those clips are great but I favor the Kenneth Branagh version.

This would probably be too much of a good thing, in fact it would probably make the assembled troops forget their tactical skills and just go berserk, but a great pre-battle speech would combine Shakespeare, Churchill, Patton, and Pope Urban II.

11. Grant M says:

By the Mass, indeed…
    Stirring stuff in the Branagh version. Even the French Herald doffs his chaperon in respect.