Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- fmsb78: I attend Mass in a SSPX chapel located inside an old house built in 1890. The walls are cracking and it could well fall apart in some more years̷ 0; Just saying this because I already...
- hwriggles4: Regarding Hales Corner, WI seminary: I believe this seminary is the Sacred Heart School of Theology (I visited three years ago). A good priest in my diocese was ordained several years...
- Michael Haz: The TLM parish to which I belong was “und erground 8221; for several decades following Vatican II. During that time, a span we refer to as the “Wea kland Era” the...
- Andrew: For secret communicat ions with priests, in order to avoid the bishop understand ing your covert messages, use Latin.
- The Masked Chicken: Three thoughts: 1. The symbol on the vestment perfectly summarizes the current pontificat e where theologica l statements are made with curves rather than straight lines. 2....
- seashoreknits: After all the tears of this past week, what a joy to share in this. It sure did make my day. Hail Holy Queen!!
- AA Cunningham: Ave Maria says: 19 August 2018 at 8:30 PM Read at every Mass at every parish in the archdioces e of Denver: https://ar chden.org/ letter-to- the-archdi ocese-of-d enver-on-t he-abu...
- Dan: “Mor lino vocations ?, Cupich. ?” “And you shall know them by their fruit̶ 1; We can also look at the fruit of the last 50 years after stripping our liturgy and our...
- Ellen: Our associate pastor preached. He began with a profound apology and a statement that no one deserves to be abused by anyone ever. He said it was so much worse when a priest who is there in...
- Markus: Important letter from our Archbishop : (silence, crickets) Regarding “sep aration of families 8221; on the border: 5 statements in August. Priorities .
- TonyO: There may well come a day when priests are not “all owed” ; to keep the seal of the confession al, and for that reason are hounded by the public authoritie s. Or (like in Califo...
- JonPatrick: Byzantine Divine Liturgy 13th Sunday after Pentecost. The Gospel concerned the owner who built a vineyard and leased it to tenants who wanted it for themselves so they mistreated or...
- Dismas: Looks like the Fishwrap is ginning up a petition to expel Bishop Morlino.
- Mallu Jack: Some more letter word counts Bp Morlino VS Cd Cupich Predator-M orlino 3 / Cupich 0 Punishment -Morlino 4 / Cupich 0 Seminarian s -Morlino 7 / Cupich 0 Penance-Mo rlino 1 / Cupich 0...
- JSPizzo: Amazing video! It’s beautiful to see such joy in a young soul!
- HvonBlumenthal: Another site is enthusiast ic about a story that the Pope is sending Archbishop of Malta Charles Scicluna to investigat e abuse in the US. Since, however, his investigat ion in...
- maternalView: I couldnR 17;t help it but as I read the comparison with Cupich I was reminded of this quote from his predecesso r Cardinal George: “I expect to die in bed, my successor will...
- maternalView: I was just thinking about this. I do think terrible times are ahead for Catholics. That was always in the cards but this current mess has helped that along. (As Father suggests ) I...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Bishop Barber, St. Margaret Mary, Oakland. Confirmati on sermon, since he didn’ ;t preach during the Mass: Since we were celebratin g the external solemnity of the...
- Robertlifelongcatholic: It was enough to make Cardinal Wuerl cancel.
- maternalView: The priest continued on from his homily last weekend, wherein he talked about worthy reception of the Eucharist and the need for confession , and punctuated his thoughts with examp...
- maternalView: The sad thing is there are laity who just don’ t want to admit this has anything to do with sexual morality. Assault and abuse, power and control, and secrecy are their prefer...
- hwriggles4: My dad passed away last night, so after staying up late with my family, I went to the 11 am Mass at a nearby parish. I had never been to this particular parish, and the priest spoke of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More feedback: Father Z, You have been a great consolatio n to me through the past several months. I am a new convert, received on Easter Sunday 2016 from a very fundamenta list...
- Chuck Ludd: Bravo. One of the most delightful aspects of the video of the Salve is that he is singing it in a genuinely joyful manner. The Salve is often sung mournfully , solemnly, or in a ̶...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Pope Francis
From a reader…
Is it permissible to attend an SSPX wedding? I thought that the couple (or priest) would first need to request permission from the local bishop and then also have a diocesan priest at the wedding, but I was … Continue reading
I wonder if the recent move of the Holy Father to change the text – the teaching of the Church – of the paragraph in the Catechism of the Catholic Church about the death penalty will generate enough buzz to … Continue reading
We had a phrase in the Curia that described our approach to some questions and challenges: Cunctando regitur mundus. This is a fundamental dimension of Romanitas: the world is ruled by delaying.
You outwait your opponents, rather than outwit them. Think Cincinnatus and the … Continue reading
At First Things, there is an essay cum review by Richard Rex (professor of Reformation history at Cambridge ) of Ross Douthat’s recent book: To Change the Church: Pope Francis and the Future of Catholicism
I wrote about Michael “Wile E. Coyote” Winters’ … Continue reading
Some people were clued in a long time ago, but were asked to keep it under wraps. Now it is out in the open.
The Dictator Pope (revised and updated) – now available in hard copy from Regnery for pre-order (23 April … Continue reading
Because I have about 60 emails having to do with this, and since I’ve already made a few comments about this odd story elsewhere, here is a follow up, for the sake of completeness.
Sandro Magister posted the full text of … Continue reading
At the site of the Pew Research Center you can read about the survey about Pope Francis five years into his pontificate. The numbers are on the move. They also, in surveying Americans, break the numbers down according to political leanings.
It … Continue reading
I’m still reading the book, which will be vilified – with its author – by papalotrous libs who will not have read it. The New catholic Red Guards don’t permit questions. They don’t have to read, either. They react.
Lost Shepherd: How … Continue reading
A couple people in my email have referred to the pseudo-anonymous offering Il Papa Dittatore – The Dictator Pope as “The Book”. My post HERE
No… The Book™ remains Remaining in the Truth of Christ: Marriage and Communion in the Catholic Church – US HERE – UK HERE
However, Il … Continue reading
I am just about done with this. It’s quite a read. Among other things it is a summary of events of the last few years.
At the pace of the modern world, one forgets.
It is in English, too. Links below.
Originally posted … Continue reading
Italian vaticanista Andrea Gagliarducci writes regularly a column at his place called “Monday Vatican”. You should read him.
Today, however, he has a piece at CNA about how Pope Francis seems to approach the selection of and translation of bishops. HERE
Among … Continue reading
A young woman at my home parish, St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, penned a piece for the National Catholic Register in reaction to Pope Francis’ recent curious statements about liturgical reform.
As you may recall, the Pope (or, better, his ghost writer) … Continue reading
His Holiness of Our Lord has made an interesting revelation. See the story at the UK’s best Catholic weekly (for which I also write), the Catholic Herald.
Pope Francis saw a psychoanalyst every week for six months when he was 42, … Continue reading