Now people in the USA can all the more easily read about Homer Simpson:
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on Daily Rome Shot 701: “Synon… That’s great news! Would that more parishes had that going on. It takes people out of their screens and…”
- TheBackPew on FOR SALE: “$180,000 US. How much would it cost to disassemble and relocate? The granite alone is worth $180K”
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on Daily Rome Shot 699: “White to move. What to do? 1. Rh4+ Kxh4 2. Qxh6+ Qh5 3. Qf4+ Qg4 4. Qxg4#”
- Synonymous_Howard on Daily Rome Shot 701: “Fr Z, I thought you would be heartened to know that chess is alive and well with the next generation…”
- Synonymous_Howard on Daily Rome Shot 699: “This one was tough for me. Had to find the right first move. 1. Rh4+ Kxh4 2. Qxh6+ Qh5 3.…”
- L. on LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!: “Our high-school CCD class was helping with a Christmas program, I think it was. I had the reading, which was…”
- JonPatrick on MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?: “I think part of the reason for the optimism is our modern concept of Progress – the saying we often…”
- JonPatrick on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Traveling so I don’t know what my home parish is doing, but the church I attended yesterday St. Mary Broadway…”
- Ms. M-S on LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!: “Thanks, Father Z. I don’t think anyone would argue that most of us live willingly or unwillingly in Nineva and…”
- Imrahil on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Dear lfandrew, that was a general comment, obviously. The solution for this year would have been easy, but obviously it’d…”
- Imrahil on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “Dear lfandrew, I’m not saying that was entirely wrong. But for the two reasons that 1. the veiling especially does…”
- Imrahil on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “In the parish (and our FSSP apostolate does mutatis mutandis the exact same thing, but it’s easier to describe for…”
- PostCatholic on Zoink!: “I wondered about the candle, Fr. Theodoxos, and also the crosier detail to the hearth screen.”
- TonyO on POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023: “I kind of understand why our dear Fr. Z put in the last option to vote for: my church has…”
- mrs wu on Zoink!: “https://www.wga.hu/art/l/lotto/5/06annun1.jpg Lorenzo Lotto’s Annunciation, because….cat. Also, her face! Imagine what went through her mind as she knew what was asked…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday (5th Lent) 2023 and a POLL about veiled images
- Daily Rome Shot 702
- FOR SALE
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 34: Monday Passiontide – Repent and live!
- POLL: Covering images for Passiontide, 5th Sunday of Lent – 2023
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Lent: Liturgical death throes
- Daily Rome Shot 701
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 33: 1st Passion Sunday – Passiontide begins
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 32: Saturday 4th Week – Annunciation
- MUST READ! Why do heretics remain in the Church instead of just being honest and getting out?
- Daily Rome Shot 700
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 31: Friday 4th Week – Dead but rising
- Daily Rome Shot 698
- Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 30: Thursday 4th Week – Eternal death and YOU – CORRECTED
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
If I want Catholic dissidence, disobedience and obtuseness, I’ll subscribe to the Archdiocesan (Dubuque) newspaper “The Witness” (or is it “Witless”?).
A perfect example of why running ‘Spellcheck’ does not alway save the day!
The real question will be the cost. This appears to be a new distribution deal of the same weekly English edition they’ve been publishing for many years, not a new edition. Until 2011, it had been distributed in the U.S. by the Cathedral Foundation, which I believe is the publishing arm of the Archdiocese of Baltimore. They’d done that for more than a decade. It was very expensive from the Cathedral Foundation, but I don’t remember the precise numbers. In 2011, they started handling and mailing subscriptions directly from the Vatican, which I don’t imagine made it any less expensive. The current subscription cost for the U.S. is $240.00/year, or almost $5.00 an issue.
There, fixed the spelling.
OSV is selling subscriptions for $74.95 for 25 issues (weeks). $149 for 50 issues.
acardnal. That’s good news. Here’s a link to where you can “subscribe today” :) on the OSV web site.
This might be good for some folks. But I very rarely have any interest in looking at the weekly English print edition of LOR, founded in 1968. Most of the content that I would find useful (“the full texts of the Pontiff’s discourses, the documents of the Roman Curia, and other texts”) is available in multiple languages on the Vatican website, eventually; and it is much easier for repeated reference (online is so much easier than a stack of newspapers).
There are so many online news sources available, such as news.va from the Vatican, EWTNnews.com, and the NCRs each have online distribution channels. Even L’Osservatore Romano itself has an online English portal (osservatoreromano.va), as well as (for now, at least) free download of PDF of the daily Italian edition.
If I want an Italian journalistic perspective on church and cultural news, my personal choice is Avvenire, either in print if I am in Italy, or online, avvenire.it, either online or downloadable PDF, if I am not in Italy.
Here’s hoping the first states to be untied from the union are California, Delaware, Illinois and Vermont. This would have the added bonus of making folks from those states ineligible for federal office.