My View For Awhile: Home Again

My list of things to do is checked off, so I am heading home.

On my first day I was able to link up with two friends over nice meals.

Yesterday, I walked over to the White House for a Christmas Party.   The decorations were amazing, as usual.  On the ground floor in the library, I saw this amusing ribbon on a tree which said that the right of citizens to VOTE shall not be abridged.

The Nativity Scene.

A nice little tree.

I am a huge fan of Sr. Diedra Byrne and the feeling is mutual.  We had a great chat.

Among the nice folks were some popular and good commentators from Fox and EWTN.    Nice to catch up with them.  A couple of great priests from the area, whom I’ve know for quite a while.  Really good men.  We had a discussion about the liceity of receiving vaccinations.

It was not nearly as crowded this year, for obvious reasons.   Great food, as always.

On the way out the young moon was super bright and Saturn and Jupiter are just a smidgeon apart now.

Afterwards, supper with another friend, a truly impressive guy.  It was nice to have a leisurely evening with him.   AG Barr was across the way.  He was cordial.

A slow morning and lunch at the club before heading to the airport.

The streets of DC are relatively empty.  It’s strange.

The airport is pretty much empty too.  There were two people going through security and I was one of them.

More later.

UPDATE

LAST LEG!

Please share this post!

This entry was posted in On the road, Wherein Fr. Z Rants. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to My View For Awhile: Home Again

1. PaddyO says:

I’m sure I’m not the first to notice that the Nativity Scene at the White House is far more beautiful and meaningful than the Nativity Scene at the Vatican. May I suggest that one of the underreported stories of the last four years is Melania Trump’s salutary Catholic influence on her husband?

2. PaddyO says:

3. acardnal says:

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. No snow in D.C. I note.

I’ve read the USCCB and the NCBC guidance on the Wuhan Devil vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna and they said it is ethical. I hope you will post something on the morality of taking one. Some prelates argue against taking either one of those two.

No cheese on your burger. I will have to report that to the Wisconsin Cheese Association!

[In my defense, I ordered it with, but it came without. Since I had a narrow window I just tucked in.]

4. araustin02 says:

The last article I read before seeing this post: https://www.dailywire.com/news/planned-parenthood-providing-policy-roadmap-staffing-refferals-to-biden-transition-team

It’s telling to see the kind of people invited to the White House under this administration compared to who will be under the next.

5. Welcome home, Father.

Well…that’s a check mark on your bucket list. I envy you; the last time I was in the WH it was to give a briefing many years ago while in another life/position.

Such an honor, though, to be present, and feel welcomed.

6. Bryan: It was a great experience. Great people. I had a lovely conservation with an old USMC 3 star who knew some of the people I knew, there were quite a few pretty girls who wanted a photo with the priest in order to impress their fathers, a little flock of senior Latinas wanted a blessing, and I offered to take photos of many of the guests, including a great older couple, devout Lutherans from Minneapolis. All in all, an excellent afternoon.

Ham radio did not come up.

7. grateful says:

Now, that was heartwarming.
    I must say, you certainly looked “well-suited” in that environment.
    Thank you so much for an extra-special Christmas treat.
    May the White House maintain many Blessings.

8. APX says:

I was going to say something about the Nativity Scene, it someone beat me to it.

9. tho says:

Sister Diedra Byrne has made a lasting impression on me from the GOP convention. Wasn’t there some talk about a woman Pope in the past. Sister Diedra would do nicely right now.

10. hwriggles4 says:

Fr. Z:

I appreciate how you and Sr. Diedra wear your clerics in public. The witness speaks louder than words.

Hopefully you got to meet with Msgr. Pope and Abp. Broglio if he was in town. Priestly fraternity is important, and positive.

I have to admit I was a little jealous that I was not invited to this White House Christmas Party.

Sr. Diedra’s brother was ordained this week as a bishop in Massachusetts.
    Hmmm… maybe your Christmas present Fr. Z is being on the “short list ” for Bishop of Gaylord or Duluth. Who knows?

11. hwriggles4 says: “short list ”

Bite your tongue and never unclamp.

12. acardnal says:

Speaking of lists, I am looking forward to your 2021 predictions and how well your 2020 predictions did!!

13. JPaulZ says:

Thank you for sharing your White House visit. It appears that it was a wonderful event. God bless you. God bless our First Family Donald and Melania Trump, and God bless America.

14. I agree with the other two posters that mentioned the Nativity. So beautiful unlike the one at the Vatican. The pictures are excellent; I will never be able to go there so it is nice to see photos of the White House with Christians living there. It is a totally different feeling now than I experienced when Obama lived there.

15. gracem says:

Thanks you, Father Z. Wonderful pictures!!

16. Semper Gumby says:

Great photos Fr. Z, thanks for sharing. Good to see Sr. Byrne and the White House Nativity Scene. Pres. Trump and the First Lady delivered an uplifting Christmas address a few days ago.

acardnal: Have mercy, not the Wisconsin Cheese Association. Those guys do not fool around. Last week some guy in Milwaukee was walking down the street with a jar of CheezWhiz when a van pulled up and he was never seen again. Deported to Canada I think.

Holy Scripture tells us:

17 And Jesse said to David his son, “Take for your brothers an ephah of this parched grain, and these ten loaves, and carry them quickly to the camp to your brothers; 18 also take these ten cheeses to the commander of their thousand. See how your brothers fare, and bring some token from them.”

acardnal, in this Blessed season I pray thee restrain thy decree. God provideth cheeses and tokens (i.e. Who Hash, though it wasn’t canned back then), and He removeth them from thy plate. In God’s wisdom, that Blessed Burger was cheeseless so that some urchin, his nose pressed against the window of the restaurant, could fill his belly with cheese and parched grain.

A Blessed Advent to acardnal and all.

17. acardnal says:

Semper Gumby, I can’t possibly respond to your comment other than to get the crackers and cheese out for snacking during the football games.

18. Semper Gumby says:

acardnal: Well played sir.

Speaking of well played, in your clash of titans may Heaven rain down boons upon David’s team so it emerges victorious to march gloriously over a field of prostrate bodies. As for Goliath’s team: may they drain the dregs of defeat and scorn, lament that they were ever born, choke on the dust of their parents and siblings speeding away in disgust, weep as their banners are trampled into the mud, wail as their band instruments are smashed and their buses set ablaze before their unbelieving eyes, and finally have their ears forever echo with the eternal shame of a hundred drummers drumming while their names are stricken from the records of the NCAA and they are banished to the wilderness of flag-football.

Er, where was I? Ah yes, enjoy the game.

19. SKAY says:

Father Z,
    Thank you so much for sharing your visit to the White House with all of us. How exciting to
    be there during the Christmas season. The pictures are fabulous.

20. Fallibilissimo says:

How cool is that!!! Thanks Fr Z!

Comments are closed.