The Horan of Babylon on “Why Catholics should use preferred gender pronouns and names”

Just when I think I’ve successfully gotten away, the Fishwrap keeps pulling me back in to its feverswamp.

This from Daniel P. Horan (aka The Horan of Babylon):

Why Catholics should use preferred gender pronouns and names

His deeply thought through piece suggests this is appropriate for Catholics because God changed the names of Abraham and Sarah, Saul became Paul, and because sometimes people call him “Dan”.

I am not making this up.

He connects resistance to such a practice to transphobia and the way the Chinese are persecuting the Uyghurs and how slave owners named their slaves.

In short, if you don’t use gender neutral pronouns, you are committing a human rights violation.

This is so wierd that you will be tempted to re-read parts just to be sure he really wrote it and then let people see it.

The Horan hints at rude behaviour by refusing to address clergy properly:

Perhaps some kind of nonviolent civil (or maybe better put, ecclesial) disobedience might help our fellow Christians — especially those in positions of leadership and authority in the church — get a taste of their own medicine and experience a small piece of the shame, disrespect and dehumanization such unethical practices place on others.

I wonder how he would react to a suggestion that Catholics should simply ignore Francis’s cruelty and multiply celebrations of the TLM?

Chad Pecknold applies some common sense.

Here is a recent “cum canibus concumbunt” tweet”:

It seems that The Horan is no longer at that bastion of mediocrity and equivocation Catholic Thelogical Union in Chicago and has moved to St. Mary’s in Indiana (which I, alas, had never heard of).  His latest book: A White Catholic’s Guide to Racism and Privilege.   Gotta run out and buy that one!   If you do, please use my amazon affiliate link.  Thanks in advance.

This entry was posted in Liberals, Sin That Cries To Heaven, You must be joking! and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Comments

1. Charivari Rob says:

I’m a little amazed that you had never heard of Saint Mary’s. [I probably have, but it clearly didn’t make much of an impression.]
    It’s not unreasonable, of course, if you never had any reason to deal with them. I probably hadn’t thought of them since the last time I visited South Bend* about 27 years ago.
    It just seems like one of those linked identities that used to be of slightly more general cultural significance:
    – Harvard-Radcliffe
    – Columbia-Barnard
    – Notre Dame – Saint Mary’s

* I gotta admit, I did not remember Saint Mary’s being in “Notre Dame, Indiana”. I guess ND has its own post office.

2. Gerard Plourde says:

St. Mary’s College, located in South Bend, was traditionally the sister school of Notre Dame University before that school became co-eduactional. A Catholic version of the relationship between Radcliffe/Harvard, Barnard/Columbia, Vassar/Yale, and Bryn Mawr/Haverford.

3. CanukFrank says:

I don’t mean to sound uncharitable but what an utter milquetoast.

4. summorumpontificum777 says:

Had never heard of Dan Horan OFM until he lambasted the March for Life and the boys from Covington Catholic, falsely accusing them of racism and mistreatment of a Vietnam vet. Two+ years later, he has neither deleted that tweet nor apologized. CNN had to pay big bucks to Nick Sandmann for making the very same false accusations. Being a mendicant has its privileges, I suppose.

5. philosophicallyfrank says:

The basic problem is that the use of a dictionary is no longer promoted. The Leftists are well schooled; but, poorly educated. Take the term “homophobe” for example. In the entire world, at the most, there may be a relative handful of such people. Carefully consider the definition of a phobia: A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder defined by “a persistent and excessive fear” of an object or situation. Very few have “a persistent and excessive fear” of so called Homosexuals. And that can be applied to all of the other Leftists’ phobias. It is all about the “Orwellian” use of “Doublespeak” and also the NAZI’s use of “The Big Lie”. Get a copy of George Orwell’s “1984” and also look-up “The Big Lie” on your computer. You don’t have to be highly educated to be able to see thru this Leftist nonsense. As FDR once said: “The only thing that you have to fear is fear itself”. Plus, the more “Hell” that we have to properly deal with in this life; the less of it we will have in the next. The fastest way to get to Heaven is via martyrdom. That option could be not that “far down the road”.

[I bought a copy of 1984 because I expect it will soon be made unavailable and it will disappear from libraries. HERE]

6. Pingback: THVRSDAY EDITION – Big Pulpit

7. Alaskamama says:

I don’t think we should limit ourselves to preferred pronouns. Give all the parts of speech their day in the sun. Preferred adjectives: bellicose, opinionated, zealous.
    Preferred nouns: wife, mother, Catholic. Give them an eyeful of your preferred adjectives, adverbs, and, oh yeah, conjuctions. Don’t forget your favorite gerunds. Poke them in the eye with their own nonsense.

8. Semper Gumby says:

This is a fine idea by Horan of Babylon, my pronouns are: Defender of the Faith and First Sea Lord of Transcarpathia / Chancellor of the Exchequer and Commander of the Armies of the Eurasian Steppe.

9. Ipsitilla says:

If anyone were to ask, I’d probably say my pronouns are you/your, and otherwise, stop gossiping.

10. Johann says:

The Horan of Babylon was ordained by disgraced former Cardinal Theodore “Uncle Ted” McCarrick. He used to boast of this and often shared pictures of him with the old pervert, but he seems to have stopped doing that now.

11. Suburbanbanshee says:

A zillion years ago when I visited St. Mary’s, it had beautiful facilities, a great library, high tuition, and a lot of woke people teaching. I didn’t end up applying there for the last two reasons, but I remember the library fondly.

12. Archlaic says:

The last time I had preferred pronouns was when I was a toddler: “me” and “mine”!

13. Fr. Z. is learning Hungarian at the moment. Magyar is a completely gender-neutral language. There’s only one personal pronoun. If you are listening to two Hungarians talking about a third person, it is impossible to tell if they are talking about a man or a woman, unless they say something specific like the person’s name and it’s either a man’s name or a woman’s name, or if so-and-so is pregnant, etc.

14. dallenl says:

When I was in the Army in a class, the drill sergeant addressed everyone by last name. Don’t recall anyone objecting.

15. albinus1 says:

In Scripture God consistently uses the image of “Father” to reveal Himself. Does that mean that those who reject masculine pronouns in referring to God are guilty of refusing to use God’s preferred pronouns?

16. Grant M says:

I shall call everyone “hee”,”to be taken as English “he” or Welsh/Hebrew “hi”, as the listener wishes.

17. Pingback: 15 October 2021 – Dark Brightness

18. xavier says:

Father,

Not to be uncharitable, but this is the same priest who praised McCormick for his ordination and even posted a photo with a caption on his twitter to highlight the anniversary.

So, we need to take that affection into account.

My response: no. Absolutely not. I won’t enable or weaponize someone of mental illness with respect to gender dysphoria. I won’t respect your pronoun of choice but the one that accords to reality.

xavier

19. Ave Maria says:

Who were they praying to?

20. Rich Leonardi says:

The last time I visited St. Mary’s the then all-female students were called “Smick Chicks.” I wonder if they have a name for visiting malcontents.

21. Benedict Joseph says:

Clearly Horan is of the abstract expressionist school of katholicism. “It is what ever I say that it is. Hang it any way you want.”
    It can be termed to at least a lie or more accurately and seriously heresy.

22. ChesterFrank says:

Its donkey dung ! Unfortunately many parishes are run by these leftward leaning lunatics and imbeciles. While I agree with the pontiff that the new gender ideology is demonic, most parishes consider it to be contemporary Catholicism. Papa Joe campaigned awfully hard ($$$) for the Catholic vote.

23. Grant M says:

Most Austronesian languages have, like Hungarian, a unisex thrd-person-singular pronoun. (For example: Indonesian dia or ia, Maori ia.)
    Conversely Hebrew and Arabic have gender-specific pronouns for the second person.

24. Mojoron says:

This is the more-than-once time the name of Merton has popped up in a conversation with a bunch of lunatics. My understanding of Merton must be in error.

25. Semper Gumby says:

Horan of Babylon is a problem, so are most Jesuits, German clergy and much of the 2+2=5 hierarchy such as Wilton of Washington DC. These people are not being corrected or supervised by the Pachamama Vatican. Indeed, they are often encouraged by the Pachamama Vatican in their pagan faith and socialist politics.

So, when the current pro-Pachamama Caudillo of the Vatican says, “gender ideology is “demonic,”” it’s helpful to keep in mind that the Caudillo also said that Mother Angelica’s EWTN does the work of the devil, that Catholics shouldn’t breed like rabbits, that St. Paul was “rigid,” that destroying tradition is actually guarding tradition, along with many other un-Christian or blatantly anti-Christian statements.

Over the last several generations there have been many Catholic theologians spreading error. Various popes failed to supervise most of these wayward theologians. The current occupant, when not attacking faithful Christians, not only refuses to supervise but generally encourages error and spiritual anarchy.

So, when an Integralist (a man-made, papalotrous, tribal, socialist political religion that favors the secret ChiCom-Vatican deal that persecutes Christians) says “repent and believe the good news” it’s helpful to clarify and make a distinction. Particularly when several days ago this theologian approvingly circulated Chinese Communist propaganda (whether out of naivete, malice or knee-jerk anti-Americanism remains to be seen).

A teachable moment for theologian Pecknold: Repent and believe the good news of Caudillo Bergoglio, no. Repent and believe the good news of the Gospel and of Jesus Christ who supervised and corrected, yes.

26. TonyO says:

A language doesn’t belong to individuals, and individuals cannot decide what words shall mean. Nor what words shall mean “for them”. Most certainly, they have no right to demand that others use words in contra-conventional meanings.

If someone you are interacting with starts using newspeak, or idiotspeak, there are two good options (usually). (1) Walk away. (either with or without explaining “I don’t insist on conversing with people who are using words so as to defeat communication.”) Or (2) ask them: “Are those the pronounce you feel comfortable using?” When they confirm, you reply “Far be it from me to force you to use pronouns you are uncomfortable using. Permit me the same freedom to use the pronouns I am comfortable using.”

The last, by the way, can be weaponized. Since (they say) “gender” is a social construct, then we are free to start using feminine pronouns for males who come off appearing emasculated, and masculine pronouns for females who come off appearing masculated – ESPECIALLY if they don’t want unconventional pronouns for themselves, just for others. So, start using “she” and “her” for the Horan of Babylon. (Caution: employ this on SJWs at your own risk.)

Think, proof read, preview BEFORE posting!