Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!Your use of my Amazon affiliate link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance. Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Up to 15% off New Products from AmazonBasics
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- PREVIEW: London Oratory Schola – Sacred Treasures of Christmas
- LIVE VIDEO – 19 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – St Peter Alcantara
- #ASonnetADay – 66. “Tired with all these, for restful death I cry…”
- LIVE VIDEO – Sunday 18 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – 20th Sunday after Pentecost
- #ASonnetADay – 65. “Since brass, nor stone, nor earth, nor boundless sea…”
- IRELAND: The longings and the lessons in the Mass Rocks
- VIDEO: “Come Hell Or High Water”
- LIVE VIDEO – SATURDAY 17 October 1200h CDT Traditional Latin Mass – St Margaret Mary Alacoque & Exorcism against Satan and Fallen Angels
- The 16th of the month, is a very lean day.
- #ASonnetADay – 64. “When I have seen by Time’s fell hand defaced…”
- Hilarious screenshot from HARRIS.. no… BIDEN campaign Health Care ad
- Of Latin, Papa Ganganelli, and the suppression of the Jesuits
- Cocktail suggestion: “Stare Decisis”
- Jesuits PROMOTE “Pachamama Day”. I am not making this up. Vatican “Earth Mother” coin.
- LIVE VIDEO – 15 October 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – St. Teresa of Avila – INTENTION: In reparation for JESUIT BLASPHEMY and SACRILEGE in promoting Pachamama.
- #ASonnetADay – 63. “Against my love shall be as I am now…”
- Making an upgrade to the “Two Trinities Chapel”
- Control the meaning of words and you control thought. A note about #AmyConeyBarrettSCOTUS
- Italian Bishops Conference newspaper, Avvenire, about pro-homosexuality book
- LIVE VIDEO – 14 October 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – St. Callixtus, Pope and Martyr
- #ASonnetADay – 62. “Sin of self-love possesseth all mine eye…” GUEST READER
- More emerges about Bugnini as a Freemason
- REVIEW: Beautiful book on the female martyrs of the Roman Canon!
- WDTPRS: Prayers for the Tried and Tempted
- LIVE VIDEO – 13 October 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – St Edward Confessor
- A note about Columbus Day
- #ASonnetADay – 61. “Is it thy will thy image should keep open…”
- REVIEW – Compendium of the Miraculous: An Encyclopedia of Revelation, Marian Apparitions, and Mystical Phenomena
- #ASonnetADay – 60. “Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore…”
- LIVE VIDEO – 11 October 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – 19th Sunday after Pentecost & Rosary
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: A subitanea et improvisa morte
You will hear a great deal in the next few days about the early death of basketball star Kobe Bryant, who seems to have been a practicing Catholic. It might even bump some impeachment coverage off the waves. A death … Continue reading
There are certain things that one chooses for his “daily carry”. You can guess at a couple of the things I always carry. Did your guess include… Why carry this all the time? CNA reported that a car crossed a … Continue reading
VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
Some various notes. Today I received the PDF of a booklet made for Sacred Heart parish in Grand Rapids, MI (the city in which you find the HQ of ACTON INSTITUTE). This is what one parish is doing to … Continue reading
I have on occasion written about the important Apostolic Pardon or also Blessing, to be imparted to a person who is close to death. The Apostolic Pardon imparts to a person who is properly disposed, please God through the last … Continue reading
When man-made or natural disasters occur which result in the loss of life, I have often posted here about the importance of being in the state of grace. In the first LENCAzTs I have done, I’ve used texts from St. … Continue reading
It’s 8:08 Saturday morning. You’ve slept in on a day off. Your phone has awakened you with a PING. With a measure of resentment you check The Precious™ for its message. You read it once. And again. And – with … Continue reading
From the Daily Mail: Pope Francis says he accepts he may be assassinated – but asks God to make sure it doesn’t hurt because he is ‘a real wimp’ Pope Francis has said he has accepted that he may be … Continue reading
I am glad when I get feedback about how this blog has been useful for someone, especially in important matters having to do with the life of faith. Today I received a note about something that happened in a seminary … Continue reading
Every once in a while I get snippy snarky notes from people asking why item A or B is on my wish list. “Why do you have solar panels?… rifle slings? … water purifiers on your list?” HA! Semper paratus. … Continue reading
The black boxes from Malaysian Airlines 17 might indicate that the pilots attempted a vain evasion. I doubt it. I suspect that exploding death was sudden. Who knows who may have survived the initial blast and remained conscious for some … Continue reading
From a reader: Dear Father, I discovered your blog in April 2013. I am Catholic, but I never learned Latin. In fact, the only good, solid catechesis I had was first and second grade, which looking back, I believe was … Continue reading
Terrible things happen to people through natural disasters or attacks or human error. We now see the images virtually in real time splashed on our screens. Misery, loss, pain come in the blink of an eye to people who, the … Continue reading
This morning the parish priest where I am staying in Cambridge pointed out a piece in the Boston Globe (Friday 26 April). At the finish line of the Boston Marathon, clergy were not allowed to reach the victims of the … Continue reading
After the Boston bombings I posted about the serious prayer which all Catholics should say: “A subitanea et improvisa morte… From a sudden and unprovided death, spare us O Lord.” A sudden death can be a blessing. A sudden and unprovided death … Continue reading