SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
PLEASE donate using VENMO!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Rome Shot 91
- LENTCAzT 2021: 15 – Wednesday 2nd Week of Lent: “Each of is in a certain place and God either wills it or permits it.”
- Rome Shot 90
- LENTCAzT 2021: 14 – Tuesday 2nd Week of Lent: “Humility is the gateway to salvation”
- POLL: Who is Pope? – UPDATES
- ACTION ITEM! Support for an important relic apostolate.
- PJM: “Vatican Betrays Virgin Mary for Prophet Muhammad”
- Rome Shot 89
- An emeritus here, an emeritus there. Pretty soon you’re talking about a lot of popes.
- LENTCAzT 2021: 13 – Monday 2nd Week of Lent: “Cultivate the small virtues”
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – Sunday 28 Feb ’21
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 8
- Fr. Hunwicke asks a hard question. Fr. Z thinks he deserves an answer.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday of Lent 2021
- LENTCAzT 2021: 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: “Be bold enough to believe that God is on your side”
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 7
- ASK FATHER: At Mass ‘ad orientem’ why doesn’t the priest turn around for the Preface dialogue?
- LENTCAzT 2021: 11 – Ember Saturday 1st Week of Lent: Why fast and abstain?
- Rome Shot 88
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 6
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- ASK FATHER: “If a priest blesses something without following the ritual, is it really blessed? (BAD NEWS!)
- ASK FATHER: Can we Catholics observe Jewish feasts like Purim?
- LENTCAzT 2021: 10 – Ember Friday 1st Week of Lent: Patience in suffering
- Priest weeps at irreverence for Eucharist, tells people to receive on the tongue. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Rome Shot 87
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 5
- Rome Shot 86
- ASK FATHER: “Any tips about a Last Rites “kit”?”
- LENTCAzT 2021: 09 – Thursday 1st Week of Lent: “The only choice is between fervor and sin.”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: chapel veils
From a reader… A woman was told by her priest to NOT wear her veil to Mass. It was blessed and so she didn’t know if she was required by obedience to not wear it, or since because it was … Read More
The first time I learned of the word “Fashionista” was back in the days of the Catholic Online Forum, when staffers Dawn and Gayle (who made the best, the most beautiful rosaries I’ve ever seen – RIP and prayers for … Read More
In Islamic Saudi Arabia… In the audience with the Holy Father… So, in the Arab Muslim country where women have to cover their heads, nothing. In Rome, where it is the custom of women to cover their heads for audiences … Read More
From a readerette: I’m a sophomore in high school, and this past summer I was inspired to wear a veil. I recently obtained one and I suppose I’ll wear it at school Masses now. The thing is, I go to … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have noticed at the Traditional Latin Mass I attend that the women cover their heads with their veils once their sit down in their pews. [?!?] I was told by a friend that the norm years … Read More
UPDATE 8 Sept 2015: I have learned that this fellow/group is claiming my approval. It does not have my approval. As a matter of fact, I am entirely against this group and what he is up to. It’s weird and there is more … Read More
From a reader: I am a traditional Catholic woman (attend an ICKSP oratory) and always cover my hair when in a church. I was taught that 1 Corinthians 11 is referring to women covering their hair in church only, which … Read More
I am finally working through the waterfall of email that has been pouring into my inbox. Here is a nice note: I am 45 and I just attended my first Latin Mass. Wow! The only thing in my head was … Read More
The subject of chapel veils, mantillas, whatever, comes up occasionally. It always excites conversation. My view is that this custom should be revived. According to the Church’s present law, women are not obliged to cover their heads in church. I … Read More
Another entry is being derailed into a discussion of women’s clothing and modesty. It’s a great topic, but was a rabbit hole. Therefore, I am opening this entry here. I will now back out slowly of the room, while whispering … Read More
From a reader: I wore my black mantilla (it blends in with my dark brown hair better) to an OF Mass this evening for the second time (no issues the first time), but after I arrived, a group of chatty … Read More
From a reader: I’m debating whether or not to start veiling at the Novus Ordo Mass I attend. [She is obviously talking about wearing a chapel veil or head covering in church during Mass.] I find going to Mass puts … Read More
… the biblical obligation of head coverings for women in church, … because we haven’t had enough of that yet. The Canonical Defender, Dr. Peters, has added a note to his esteemed commentary on head coverings. Hat tip – (HA! … Read More