Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- SanSan: We must protect our Bishops, Our Priests and Our Church property! A security team, maybe Kof C members stationed at each Mass. We’r e in the parking lots of SF these days, so exposed...
- Semper Gumby: “Mos t modern day bishops and priests are simply not going to step up (and Bishop Barron is correct when he points out that we have to stop whining about it), so it’s up to...
- RosaryRose: A nationally known Baptist church here uses members of the congregati on to be undercover guards, sitting in the congregati on, posted around the lobby, watching the miles of parking...
- Sportsfan: I haven̵ 7;t been able to find an article about the cause of the fire at San Gabriel. Is there any informatio n about that?
- Johann: In Lebanon and Syria Christians have to station guards armed with assault rifles to protect their Churches. I fear that this will become the default position in America and the world soon.
- Andreas: Yes, indeedR 30;be holy and just as important (as noted above), be prepared! As Gumby and others here may know, the military has long employed Operationa l Risk Management (ORM) as a...
- Tom: “In these days as well, the holiness of the faithful speaks powerfully against the currents of anti-Catho lic bigotry. 8221; I really like that comment posted above by Fr. Sotelo....
- crownvic: As a former Parish business manager, I would like to address the safety and security plan. It requires a rather large “buy in” from the congregati on. The Priest can’ t...
- Fr_Sotelo: It reminds me of the 1850’ ;s, when the Know Nothings went around burning down parish churches, Catholic schools and convents. In some places, the faithful fought back. In New York...
- Semper Gumby: Good point Fr. Z. Let’ s see here… ; м 080;с ;т 1077;l 8; с 083;о ;в 1123;́ ;н 1100;l 9;к& #1098;...
- Semper Gumby: robtbrown: Be advised: his name his Donald Rumsfeld. Once again, Ft. Leavenwort h has a St. Ignatius Church and parish.
- WVC: I should say – I understand there are plenty of bishops who may be passively or actively working with the enemy. Or at least sympatheti c, out of their own amazing ignorance or cowardi...
- WVC: At some point, will bishops start taking security of their parishes seriously? I’m happy for the pro-active pastors, and I’m thrilled that my parish is on the tip of the spear for...
- SundaySilence: The full quote from Cardinal George is: “I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up...
- chantgirl: These two articles give a pretty good descriptio n of what has been happening with the rosary rallies in St. Louis. The nights when we have participat ed have been pretty calm, thankfu...
- robtbrown: I just noticed a mistake on my above post. Should be: Around 20 years ago the Catholic Chapel at Ft Leavenwort h (St Ignatius) was destroyed by fire. My understand ing is that it had...
- Semper Gumby: “Tec hnical assistance is provided through presentati ons, workshops, webinars, tabletop exercises, and training.& #8221; “Add itionally, DHS’s National Protection and...
- Clinton R.: Here in California , they destroyed the statues of St. Junipero Serra last month. Today, San Gabriel Mission was burned down. What next? They will get tired of destroying statues and...
- Semper Gumby: Update from First Liberty regarding a memo from Acting Undersecre tary of the Navy Slavonic [!] to the Commandant of the Marine Corps and Chief of Naval Operations SUBJECT: Clarifi...
- acardnal: Your Latin phrase at the end reminded me of something Gen. George Washington said in a letter in 1780, “The re is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet...
- acardnal: As you often quote Father Z: The late Cardinal George of Chicago said, “I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public...
- Alex: The church in Ocala is served by the FSSP one Mass per week. A priest drives up from their Naples or Sarasota apostolate each Sunday evening to offer the TLM. It’s the only non SSPX TLM...
- tho: We will never have sanity, aka logic, in our church, until we actually experience our Bishops excommunic ating CINOPs, Catholic In Name Only Politician s. Whether our Prelates think that...
- cyrillist: Maccabees? Seven Holy Martyrs, rather – sons of St. Felicitas.
- tskrobola: One more tactical note: Since video taping the event with your own people is a key way to defend yourself politicall y and legally, making sure to position your video people and to keep...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- It’s someone else… until it’s your turn: churches attacked, burned in these USA!
- 11 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Saturday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Another milestone…
- 10 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Seven Maccabees, et al. – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A man you readers helped has been ordained to the priesthood!
- 9 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Thomas More & John Fisher – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Big Business Abortion NOT happy with “Little Sisters of the Poor v. Pennsylvania”
- THE REMNANT posted: Rosary Crusade, Prayer by Archbishop Viganò for Reelection of Donald Trump
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- 8 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: “I am struggling with my faith due to intense anxiety about death. What makes you believe in God?”
- Fr. Z rants about the problems in the streets, offers suggestions. ACTION ITEM!
- LatinMass.live alive again
- The Coming Storm: St. Louis
- 07/07/07 – 13th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Fr. Z rants.
- 7 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A priest makes changes: Ritus Covidensis!
- URGENT – TIME SENSITIVE – INFO NEEDED ABOUT DENIAL OF COMMUNION ON THE TONGUE – REPOST, TWEET, ETC.
- Thanks for the music! Charlie Daniels and Ennio Morricone
- 6 July: Pius XII during the Canonization of St. Maria Goretti – AUDIO
- 6 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Maria Goretti, Virgin & Martyr – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- JUST TOO COOL! “SHEEP, EYES, NOSE, DEER, BLOW UP, TEA, MOUSE, TURKEY, ONION”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 5th after Pentecost (NO: 14th Ordinary) 2020
- URGENT: Archbp. Broglio of @MilArchUSA on Navy Prohibiting Participation in Off-Base Religious Services
- UPDATE on FEEDBACK: How has the COVID-1984 lockdown changed you LITURGICALLY? Priests and laity.
- 4 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive of Immaculate Heart of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- GREAT BOOK: With Latin in the Service of the Popes: The Memoirs of Antonio Cardinal Bacci (1885?1971)
- Sadly amusing sign of the times
- 3 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Irenaeus – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: dante
Dante can provide wisdom on most of the troubles of our lives. His wisdom pops up just about anywhere and in timely fashion. Thus, a wise and respected friend was lunching in Florence in the shadow of the Duomo today … Continue reading
This week, the 15th Ordinary Sunday in the Novus Ordo calendar, we have a good example of the dramatic difference between the old, Obsolete ICEL version we suffered with for decades, and the Latin with the Current ICEL version. The Collect … Continue reading
Perhaps you have the same reaction that I have. One of the things that provokes in me the worst sort of anxiety is being told that something is up, but not being told what it is. For example, you are … Continue reading
A The Catholic Thing the scholar and translator of Dante’s Divine Comedy uses this most important of works to unpack a central issue in The Present Crisis. There are those today, such as highly tattooed gang of Team Francis, who work … Continue reading
So this morning my phone goes “ding”. “What fresh hell is this!?”, quoth I, reaching. Indeed, it was “fresh hell”! At Messa in Latino a wag has posted a bit of Dantesque parody about an adulterous soul in Hell. A soul has … Continue reading
The brilliant Anthony Esolen (how I envy his prose) makes a point – with napalm – at the increasingly useful Crisis today. The post confirmed me in my desire never to be on his bad side. He begins… Don’t Let A Foolish … Continue reading
Today at The Catholic Thing Robert Royal has a short and suggestive piece about sex and deception. Dante – Il Poeta – gives him a lift. Royal recounts teaching Dante’s Inferno, the first part of the Divine Comedy, to students. One of the … Continue reading
I have often written about how priests are never the same after having learned how to say the older, traditional form of Holy Mass in the Roman Rite. Many priests have related to me about how, once they learned, or … Continue reading
Do you remember the little mnemonic poems? “Lenty, Penty, Crucy, Lucy”, or else “Fasting days and Emberings be Lent, Whitsun, Holyrood, and Lucie.” The Wednesday, Friday and Saturday after St. Lucy are the Advent Ember Days. In the old Julian … Continue reading
I often direct you to the writings of Anthony Esolen, who contributes frequently to the increasingly-valuable Crisis. Esolen is a prof at Domincan-run Providence College. I saw this at Touchstone, where Esolen is an editor. If you have benefitted from the writings … Continue reading
In the midst of chaos, we need to bring our minds to work at hand, our work of sacred liturgy, the renewal of which is our only hope for true revitalization of the Church. This Sunday’s Collect survived the knives … Continue reading
In the reformed calendar, we have moved into the Time called “Ordinary”, by which we mean “ordered”, not “unexceptional”. In the traditional calendar of the Extraordinary Form, this is the “Time through the year”, divided into time after Epiphany and after … Continue reading
Today’s prayer survived the redactors to live on in the Novus Ordo as the Collect for the 30th Sunday of Ordinary Time. It is an ancient prayer, found in the Veronese and the Gelasian Sacramentary. COLLECT (1962MR): Omnipotens sempiterne Deus, da … Continue reading
In the Extraordinary Form, Sunday’s Collect is from the ancient Veronese Sacramentary and the Gelasian and the so-called Gregorian. It survived the liturgical tailors with their scissors and thread to live on in the post-Conciliar Missale Romanum on Thursday of the 1st week of Lent. However, there is … Continue reading
First, yesterday, Pope Francis went to a parish near Ostia (Rome’s ancient port where St. Augustine’s mother, St. Monica, died – today is her feast in the traditional calendar). Before saying Mass, His Holiness heard confessions! Fathers… hear confession! Second, … Continue reading