SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- VIDEO about the Chartres Pilgrimage: Guardians of Tradition
- ROME 22/10 – Day 6: Of eyes and heads and ligaments
- Not even the Council imagined what is going on today!
- Synod (“walking together”) art work was a distorting sham, say the students who were supposedly the subjects
- What do you think of this video from the Synod (“walking together”) of Bishops about the synodal (“walking together”) before the Synod (“walking together”) on Synodality (“walking together”)?
- ROME 22/10 – Day 5: Of chalices and clams and rest
- Card. Koch: German Synod (“spazieren gehen zusammen”) is doing what some Christians did along with Nazism in order to change the Church’s teaching
- ASK FATHER: Convert from Orthodoxy or Protestantism: Which Catholic Church would I belong to?
- ROME 22/10 – Day 4: A stroll and an “I dunno”
- ASK FATHER: Are evil dreams from the Devil?
- ROME 22/10 – Day 3: Of a hairy bear, a column, and a case of littering.
- “They hate the Old Rite because the Enemy has set fear in their hearts.”
- ROME 22/10 – Day 2: Still getting it together and an ASK FATHER question
- ASK FATHER: 1st Communion at a special Mass rather than at a regular Sunday Mass
- WDTPRS 27th Ordinary Sunday: Of ashes, soap and you.
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- ROME 22/10 – Day 1: Getting it together
- Daily Rome Shot 578, etc.
- “The Devil, the Enemy of the soul, always tells us what he is up to.” Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium!
- How can the “four camps” in the Church be reconciled?
- My View For Awhile: Romeward Bound
- Daily Rome Shot 577, etc. – Hurricane Early Edition
- Wolves v. Bear, Windswept House, and the Belgian Waffle Bishops.
- Daily Rome Shot 576, etc.
- “This has the logo of the Synod (“walking together”) of Bishops. ” Prepare for a rough ride.
- ASK FATHER: Can a Catholic layman officiate at the marriage of non-Catholics?
- Daily Rome Shot 575, etc.
- I now may have seen it all.
- Ad repellendas tempestates… Prayers for the repelling of storms.
- Daily Rome Shot 574, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: St. John Cantius
Except to point out some great organ playing, I think this will speak for itself.
Our friends at St. John Cantius in Chicago had a wonderful opening to their observances of the 100th anniversary of the apparitions of Our Lady at Fatima. Among the other festivities, they had a procession. Here are a couple of … Read More
My friends at St. John Cantius sent this: This Saturday, May 13th, in the streets of Chicago, thousands will peacefully walk one mile praying for an end to violence—following Mary’s request to pray for peace, forgiveness, and conversion. Beginning at … Read More
I had an interesting email today. I got an e-mail today from Fr. Joshua, at St. John Cantius Church, who was good enough to share a group photo of several priests at their TLM workshop. Facebook tells me that this is embedded … Read More
Firstly, did you know that the man who made the magnificent Garand rifle – which helped to win freedom for millions – was named John Cantius Garand? Speaking of John Cantius, I received a note from St. John Cantius in … Read More
I just received something interesting from a reader in Chicago, for your Brick By Brick file. Perhaps you have at some time driven down the Kennedy Expressway. Suddenly the Interstate bends sharply around, and very close to, the rectory of … Read More
By now we have all heard about the March For Life pilgrims in the snow, the buses in the snow, the Masses in the snow, etc. Here is an interesting article at Catholic Pop: Stranded Pro-Life Group Holds Sung Ad Orientem … Read More
As you know, the body of St. Mary Goretti is on “pilgrimage” around these USA. More HERE She arrived in Chicago at St. John Cantius. She will be coming to Madison, WI. Here is the arrival of St. Mary in … Read More
It is that time of year again. Advent is just around the corner. That means that we have to get our new ORDO for 2015. Every Latin Church sacristy should have an Ordo for both the Ordinary and the Extraordinary … Read More
Some years ago I posted photos of the Roman firefighters on top of the Pantheon (I shot them from my apartment’s window) as they prepared to drop rose petals through the oculus on Pentecost. HERE It’s a great custom. I … Read More
This is pretty spiffy, from St. John Cantius in Chicago! 39 views as I post this.
I had a great offer from the Canons at St. John Cantius which they want to extend to you, through my blog. BIRETTA BOOKS – SPECIAL OFFER FOR LENT Biretta Books has a special Lenten offer for Fr. Z’s Blog readers. … Read More
I’m on a road trip. Hmmmm… usually these vans are following me. Right now I am in Chicago, at St. John Cantius. Yesterday and today I gave some conferences on sacred liturgy. We have had two, count ’em two, Solemn Masses … Read More
Time and again, priests tell me that when they learn the traditional form of Holy Mass and begin saying it, it changes them profoundly. Today I received this note from a priest (slightly edited): I finished the [Saint John Cantius … Read More
Looking for a gift for a traditionally-minded priest? Looking for a gift for a soon-to-be-ordained seminarian? Looking for materials for your budding Extraordinary Form Mass group in your parish? Looking for the right stuff for your own home’s private chapel … Read More
I want about 15 minutes of your time. If you are a bishop or a priest or a seminarian, please give your special attention. Below is an excerpt from a documentary to be shown soon on EWTN (30 April 6:30 … Read More
UPDATE 1858 CST: I received a note from St. John Cantius in Chicago about Fr. Phillips: With the help of God’s grace and many prayers, Fr. Phillips has had a tremendous improvement today. He is continuing his recovery under the … Read More
I received this note from the well-known Catholic artist Daniel Mitsui: Dear Father Zuhlsdorf: Could you do me the favor of letting your readers know about a special Christmas auction of one of my original drawings that is being done … Read More
I have been reading another dystopian novels by James Wesley Rawles, Founders. (The first in the series is Patriots, the next is Survivors.) I was pretty surprised to read this paragraph, about a couple who wind up being part of … Read More
I recently received a couple instructional DVDs produced by the canons at St. John Cantius in Chicago and I have had a chance to look at “Sacred Rites and Ceremonies of the Roman Rite, featuring the use of the 1962 … Read More