Margaret Thatcher – RIP

Margaret Thatcher, the former Prime Minister, has died. She was 87. May she rest in peace. Pray for her.

She was one of the pivotal figures of the 20th century. She played a role, along with John Paul II and Pres. Reagan, in bringing down the Soviet bloc.

Damien Thompson posted a video of Thatcher’s last appearance at the Prime Minister’s Question time on 27 November 1990.  I’ll include it, below.

If only we had politicians in these USA who could speak like her.   Agree with her… disagree… she was something.  Instead… who do we have?

If you are too young to remember Lady Thatcher, take some time to watch her at work.

She met Benedict XVI, by the way:

I recall that she was also present when Benedict gave his address in Westminster Hall.

This entry was posted in SESSIUNCULA. Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Margaret Thatcher – RIP

1. pmullane says:

Prayers for her soul, a dignified, principled woman, the likes of whom we are unlikely to be blessed with as well.

Prayers also for the souls of those who are dancing on her grave and rejoicing at her death today, including some Catholics who should know better, that they may recant and swiftly take themselves to confession for some of the things they have written.

Is it not ironic, though, that so many vicious liberals are so quick to dispense with God, but all still believe in Hell.

2. Phil_NL says:

The world has lost a politician of a kind that’s all too rarely seen today. She had a backbone, and one of steel at that. Or, to quote Enoch Powell, MP before and after the Falklands War: “The prime minister, shortly after she came into office, received a sobriquet as the ‘Iron Lady’. It arose in the context of remarks which she made about defence against the Soviet Union and its allies; but there was no reason to suppose that the right honourable lady did not welcome and, indeed, take pride in that description. In the next week or two this House, the nation and the right honourable lady herself, will learn of what metal she is made.”

And after:
    “It shows that the substance under test consists of ferrous metal of the highest quality. It is of exceptional tensile strength, resistant to wear and tear, and may be used with advantage for all national purposes.”

It is a sad day to have lost such an inspiring figure. She had stupidty for breakfast, socialists for lunch, and the entire USSR politburo for dinner. And EU-crats as a dessert, one might add.

Miserere Domini. May she rest in peace.

3. Lou K says:

I’ll miss her dearly. A true champion of Western Civilization. I’m afraid that too many are too young to remember the evil of athesitic Soviet communism. Pope John Paul II, President Reagan, and PM Thatcher stood up and confronted it with bold messages of Freedom and belief in the dignitity of the individual. By the time the last of them had left office, the USSR was no more.

4. Jacob says:

I am just old enough to remember Baroness Thatcher while she was in office, though I never saw her on PM’s Questions. I have a few Brit friends I’ve met online who hate her. Knowing their left-wing politics, I always took their hate to be a point in the PM’s favor. What a shame her party’s current leadership is so unlike the illustrious baroness.

RIP

5. Facta Non Verba says:

Baroness Thatcher, along with Ronald Reagan, had a profound influence on me during my teenage years. I miss both of them.

I believe Mrs. Thatcher, in her first public appearance after being elected prime minister, quoted the prayer of St. Francis.

6. LarryW2LJ says:

Not too many folks with a spine that are still with us today. She will be missed.

7. mamajen says:

I was very young when she was in office, but recently I have learned more about her and have been so inspired. I enjoyed listening to some of Rush Limbaugh’s personal anecdotes earlier. He, too, pointed out how fortunate we were to have Thatcher, Reagan and Pope John Paul II all at the same time. With so many people comparing Pope Francis to JPII (though, unfortunately in a pessimistic sense), it made me hopeful that maybe in the coming years we will have another great team.

8. Priam1184 says:

The USSR was defeated yes, and that was a great boon for humanity, but how many of its atheistic ideals and values have seeped into Western society and civilization and begun to work their evil here and now even without the existence of the Soviet state? I have begun to feel of late that the victory won in the Cold War, while it has for the last twenty years staved off the possibility of world war and military catastrophe, was probably a qualified victory at best.

9. onosurf says:

Interesting picture of the “Iron Lady”…she had the humility to veil herself for the pope.

10. progressive says:

It is sad news for her children and her grandchildren and they must be in great distress. Her illness has been awful and her slide into dementia must have been heartbreaking for those close to her.

However Thatcher destroyed communities in the UK. Her divisive style has left a legacy in the UK that is the root of so many of todays problems. My home town is in ruins because of her – don’t be fooled by the hype, Thatcher and her policies do not not deserve any high accolades.

[May she rest in peace.]

11. pmullane says:

Progressive – you are wrong and this is not the time to be having the debate. Show some decorum.

12. tealady24 says:

Lady Thatcher was truly one-of-a-kind. Her dignified, graceful demeanor is something we can all aspire to. It was comforting to know the free world was in her’s and Reagan’s capable hands back in the 80’s. Where are like-minded American women?
    She will be missed. But, a life well led. No one could ask for more.

13. Jack Hughes says:

Prayers for her Soul

She like Sir Winston Churchill was the one of the few British politicians who actually possessed a spine in the post war years, unfortunately the current crop of ‘conservatives’ are (with a few exceptions) a bunch of spineless idiots who unlike her ladyship have never done a real days work in their lives.

Thatcher, Reagan & Bill Buckley…. giants that we shall miss greatly in this vale of tears

14. Supertradmum says:

RIP. Very odd. I woke up at four this morning and immediately saw her face in my mind. I knew she would die soon. Same day. God bless her.

15. Back pew sitter says:

Whereas right wing politicians in the United States tend to be friends of the unborn and the family this is not typically the case with right wing politicians in the UK – and, very regretably, was not the case with Mrs Thatcher. She voted for the Abortion Act in 1967 and constantly supported abortion as well as the Government legislation that voted for IVF and experiments on human embryos.

Yes, Mrs Thatcher was determined and principled in many areas. Yes, her policies (with others) contributed to the break up of the Soviet Union. Yes, many people in the UK welcomed the political changes she brought about (even if many others didn’t). But to hold her up as a political icon when she supported the killing of millions of unborn children is a grave mistake. Of course, we must pray for her soul.

16. TNCath says:

I hate to say, “Those were the days,” but they truly were. The trio of Thatcher-Reagan-John Paul II was what kept Western civilization from falling apart after the rather dismal 1960’s and 1970’s. As much as many would disagree with me, the George W. Bush-Benedict XVI era was a step in the right direction towards restoring that feeling of confidence. Our future as a civilization, of which the Church is custodian, is in a state of flux, to say the least. Or as in that old Eucharistic hymn, “Bella premunt hostilia, / Da robur fer auxilium.”

Oremus pro Pontifice…

17. Fern says:

May the Great Lady rest in peace! Thank you, Father, for the video. Great memories of those days! Someone ought to send the video to each of our leaders in Washington. Wouldn’t hurt some Cardinals to see it also.
    Fern

18. NBW says:

I’m sorry to hear that. She had a very strong and charismatic personality. May she rest in peace.

We won’t find anyone like that in our government. The best we can come up with is a president who thinks he’s great because he killed a fly that was bothering him in an interview.

19. Tony McGough says:

Mrs Thatcher – may she rest in peace – was a great leader, and a genuine conviction politician. From the Falklands to the economy and the Unions, she did what she thought was right.

Many found her divisive, and still do; but that is a tribute to her standing.

Bad side: she always voted – alas! – for abortion.

Curiosity: she had a tin ear for humour. She had to be carefully coached for he “the lady’s not for turning” line. And she would certainly not cotton on to the thought that now the Iron Lady can rust in peace.

Tony

20. Matt R says:

I admire her gumption, not her Irish policies. But may God have mercy on her soul! We should pray for those rejoicing at her death too.

21. Catholictothecore says:

President Reagan and Mrs. Thatcher had a deep mutual respect for each other. They were a one-two punch against the Soviet Union. They worked super well with each other. The same can be said for George W and Tony Blair. It helps tremendously to have someone on the same page as you.

May her soul rest in peace.

22. Clinton says:

It is such a shame that there was no one of her calibre to succeed her in the Conservative Party.
    The video is revealing– there is John Major, future PM, seated behind her left shoulder, yawning
    and napping through much of her rousing Question Time. Even Baroness Thatcher said he was
    a tremendous disappointment to the Conservative Party.

God bless her, and let us hope Britain raises up her like again.

23. AnnM says:

A small comment about Back Pew sitter’s view. The abortion issue is very different in UK politics – it’s exceedingly rare to find a mainstream politician (with one or two notable exceptions, such as Lord Alton) who could be described as totally “pro-life”. Sadly, it’s not considered a significant factor in the British electoral process. To be fair to Lady Thatcher, she was in favour of bringing down the abortion limit from 28 weeks to0 24, so she was better on this than some. Some reminiscences on an interview I did with her for a British Catholic paper in 1987 are here:

24. Jack Regan says:

I always said that it would divide the country when she died, and I have been proven right. People either loved Thatcher or hated her, there was no grey area.

We should all pray for the repose of her soul though, of course…

25. frjim4321 says:

26. jarhead462 says:

“Death is the great equalizer. I don’t think this is a day for me to say any more than that. Except to pray for her family in their grief.”

I won’t come in for a visit. I’ll just throw a rock through the window.

Semper Fi!

27. frjim4321 says:

Was there supposed to be a point?

28. Imrahil says:

Deceased on the transferred Lady Day, fwiw.

That said, the respect due to the Baronness does not mean that I might not think she might have had a friendlier attitude towards German Reunification (that so hopeful incident of supposedly outdated come-back ecumenism; parallels are striking: the F. R. had almosed literally claimed that Germany-as-a-whole “subsisted in” her), which, reportedly, was achieved against her will, when Chancellor Kohl bribed General Secretary Gorbachev with some peanuts.

May she rest in peace.

29. jarhead462 says:

You did not like her (surprise, surprise) Why not just say “I will pray for her family”
    or better yet, “I will pray for her soul” You insisted on conveying your dislike for the woman.
    But then again, you knew my point.

Semper Fi!

30. Mariana says:

I remember this! I was enjoying myself too!

May she rest in peace.

31. Jack Hughes says:

For those of you who vehemently disagreed with Lady Thatcher I have only this to say De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est

32. rodin says:

Would that such brilliance, integrity, courage, charm, humour, wit, and all of her other admirable qualities existed somewhere among our world leaders today. As it is the outlook is, at best, bleak.

33. pmullane says:

Jarhead, Fr Jim was indulging in his usual passive aggressive drive by because he doesn’t like the fact that people are saying nice things about someone that he and his extremist progressive cronies have singled out as a non human (Mrs T joins Sarah Palin, Ronald Reagan, Joseph Ratzinger, Conrad Black, the Jewish race and the unborn child in this group). I’d hate to see this thread derailed by such a person. Mrs Thatcher of course didn’t need to be hailed by the sheep like commentariat, because she had no use for being popular, she strived rather to be right. And more often than not she was. And as a consequence, she (along with Churchill, another man more interested in truth than popularity) were the most popular leaders our little country have had. She wasn’t perfect, but my goodness we were better for having her.

Thank you lord for the gift of Baroness Margaret Thatcher, may her sins be forgiven, her purgation swift, and may she see your face in paradise.

34. jarhead462 says:

frjim: My apologies. I am being uncharitable. I took my foul mood out on you, and that was not fair. Forgive me. I also beg forgivness from our gracious host.
    I will now go and pull the plank from my eye.

Semper Fi

35. Cincinnati Priest says:

A true lady in every sense of the word.

A great (and now especially timely) read is John O’Sullivan’s “The President, the Pope, and the Prime Minister: Three Who Changed the World” about Reagan, JP2, and Mrs. Thatcher. Profiles their contributions to world history and their interactions.

Still in print and available on Amazon.

Requiescat in Pace.

36. Rachel K says:

Even as a teenager and student I loved her! She was so strong. I didn’t agree with every view she held, but she held herself with dignity and let’s not forget the terrible attack by the IRA on the Brighton Hotel where she held the Conservative Conference and which killed six and maimed many others. I pray God will judge her mercifully, she did much good and made mistakes as we all do. I was always baffled by the certainty many (socialists) held that she was solely responsible for the collapse of altruism in our society. I feel she was scapegoated for a process which was fomented elsewhere and already in progress when she became Prime Minister. It is hard to understand the stranglehold of the Trade Unions here , they really did stifle the development of the economy. What a disappointment to see the gleeful spite some are outpouring today.
    RIP.

37. AvantiBev says:

The people who still hate her for her policies are big gvmt statists who have been so for over 40 years.. Once the drug of dependency upon the State takes hold of your soul, it is THE most difficult drug addiction to rid oneself of. The problem is this drug will be the undoing of us all; a giant sink hole looms ahead of both Makers and Takers, both those who would be Citizens and those who prefer Serfdom.
    Her quote “You don’t grow more prosperous by ordering another check book.” is lost through the pink haze that envelopes the so-called Progressives aka Regressives.

38. stephen c says:

Back pew sitter – Thank you for your comment. While she did not live in a Christian country, she was blessed with a great deal of intelligence – a chemist and a deep political thinker – and she was blessed with a wonderful family and wonderful friends – and was in many ways a better person than me and than many of my friends – but she was wrong in a profoundly unChristian way on one of the most significant moral issues of her time and, unless I am mistaken, did little or nothing to teach those less fortunate and intelligent than her that the unborn are our brothers and sisters. However, as someone getting a bit older myself, experiencing greater physical distress every year, I believe it is probable that in her last difficult years she came to feel new compassion, or even repentance (like Hugh Carey, governor of my state when I was young, who repented of his pro-choice views after he had left the glamour of policitcs), and that her sincere prayers for a better world were answered.

39. Lin says:

May her soul rest in peace! A great Lady!

40. JonPatrick says:

I had the privilege once of briefly meeting Mrs. Thatcher when the company I worked for was acquired by a British company. I don’t recall exactly what her involvement was, but this was after she had retired from the House of Commons, sometime in the mid 90’s. She came over for a tour of our companies’ facilities, which were engaged in development of industrial process control systems. I recall that although she was not someone with a technical background, she asked a great number of intelligent questions and it was clear one was dealing with a formidable intellect.

41. John Nolan says:

Pope Francis has good reason to be grateful to Lady Thatcher. British victory in the Falklands War led to the fall of the military junta in Argentina and the restoration of democracy. Something Cristina Fernandes de Kirchner might like to chew on as well.

42. Phil_NL says:

JonPatrick,

She had a degree in chemistry, so that would count to some extent as a technical background, I’d say. Perhaps a lot more depending on her specialization.

And a great lay, with a formidable intellect, indeed.

43. kiloran says:

Dear Fr. Z,
    I do understand the respect and admiration for Lady Thatcher and her leadership. But I remember just two facts -as example-, of her lack of consideration about people who stood out of her projects: the criminal cut of many jobs in England, and the criminal act -out of laws of war- on sinking an Argentine ship out of the limits of the war scenery. I’m not dancing on her grave and I am never happy about a death; but Lady Thatcher had a criminal attitude, and she never got repented or showed remorse about that. I really doubt she made time to take herself to confession. Nevertheless, I concur: may her soul rest in peace

44. robtbrown says:

kiloran says:

Dear Fr. Z,

In the 50’s and early 60’s British automobiles were admired throughout the world. By 1975, however, many models had become a joke, and the industry had fallen on hard times. The MG, once a fine sports car, became known for failing electrical systems–provided by Lucas Electronics, whose president became known as he Prince of Darkness.

So maybe your ire should not be directed at Thatcher policies but at whoever ruined British Industry.

45. LarryW2LJ says:

In honor of Lady Thatcher, yesterday I wore my “The problem with Socialism is that sooner or later you run out of other people’s money.” t-shirt. Believe me, that gets you strange looks up here in the Northeast.

46. Marcello says:

The Holy Alliance that took down the Evil Empire: Ronald Reagan, Blessed John Paul II and Margaret Thatcher.

RIP, the Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven.

47. progressive says:

Yes, may she rest in the peace of Christ.

But pmullane , I disagree that we should not comment on the destruction she caused. As a national figure we should think critically of what Thatcherism caused in the uk and throughout the world. Thatcher promised harmony via the prayer of St Francis, but her policies caused division.

I hope on the day any demonstrations are well behaved and their is no violence.
    May God’s blessing be on her and on her family, it must be very difficult for them.

48. stefangillies says:

John Nolan, the fall of the military junta in Argentina was enabled by the British directly arming the military Junta in Chile!

49. John Nolan says:

Stefangillies, I’m not sure I get your drift. At the time of the Falklands War Argentina and Chile were in dispute with one another over the Beagle Channel, so Chile gave some covert support for Britain. The most useful support came from the USA, which earned Cap Weinberger a knighthood. Four years later Margaret returned the favour when she allowed the US to bomb Lybia from British bases.

Both Chile and Argentina aquired arms from the UK (hardly surprising, it’s one of the world’s main arms exporters) and the Argentine Navy had recently taken delivery of two new British-built destroyers which I recall bore the very Spanish names Drummond and Granville. Their aircraft carrier was originally the British light fleet carrier HMS Furious, disposed of in the 1960s as being too small to efficiently operate jet aircraft – as the Argies were to discover for themselves.

50. stefangillies says:

According to Chilean Junta and former Air Force commander Fernando Matthei, Chilean support included military intelligence gathering, radar surveillance, allowing British aircraft to operate with Chilean colours, and facilitating the safe return of British special forces, among other forms of assistance. In April and May 1982, a squadron of mothballed British Hawker Hunter fighter-bombers departed for Chile, arriving on 22 May and allowing the Chilean Air Force to reform the No. 9 “Las Panteras Negras” Squadron. A further consignment of three frontier surveillance and shipping reconnaissance Canberras left for Chile in October. Some authors have speculated that Argentina might have won the war had the military felt able to employ the elite VIth and VIIIth Mountain Brigades, which remained sitting in the Andes guarding against possible Chilean incursions.

51. Phil_NL says:

Kiloran

War is war, and the Argentines started a war of agression. So don’t come with that Belgrano nonsense – the British would have been well within their rights to have bombed Buenos Aires itself. In fact, were the Argentines to repeat such folly today, mrs Thatchers approach to the conflict would stand out as measured and limited (as the UK is currently in less of a position to liberate the islands once again using a limited campaign).

52. I have been praying for her ever so much.

There is a lot of hatred for her in Scotland – she didn’t do a lot of good work for Scotland (She closed 88% of our countries industry). I just have to pray and hope people can have a little grace and sympathy for her.
    I pray that the Lord has mercy on her, that she one day may be taken to heaven.

Requiescat in pace.

53. I told my boss that the Iron Lady had died. He looked at me, puzzled, and then his eyes got wide. “Gwyneth Paltrow died?” I explained and he said “Never heard of her.” It’s a shame that people don’t know about this great woman. RIP.

54. pmullane says:

Progressive, the day to discuss the rights and wrongs of a political leader (from 20 years ago for goodness sake) and her policies is not on the day she died. Especially since the political left has shamed himself so thoroughly in their reaction to her death. The woman lead a democratic political party, engaged in open political debate, was criticised, demonised, vilified and hated for having opinions contra the idiotic left, barely escaped an assassination attempt by murderous leftist fascists, yet she enjoyed the approval of the ordinary man and woman, won 3 general elections (and would have won a third had she not been stabbed in the back by her party).

She never destroyed any industry, indeed more coal mines were closed by the socialist government she replaced than by her government. She refused to pander to the self interest of trade unions who priced themselves out of a job and held the country to random. She allowed the working classes to own their own home and better themselves. She was the last prime minister we had that was interested in the country above themself. She wasn’t perfect, but we are poorer for her loss.

55. stefangillies says:

To highlight my drift further John Nolan,
    as well as arming the military junta in Chile, British forces and unionist paramilitaries in Northern Ireland routinely shared intelligence, weapons and personnel but in the 80’s under the premiership of Margaret Thatcher collusion became much more controlled and refined. Specific mechanisms were established to control and direct the loyalist death squads. Directed by British state agencies the loyalist death squads killed…
    *Sinn Fein elected representatives
    *Sinn Fein activists and their families
    *Civil rights activists
    *Election workers
    *Defence lawyers
    *Irish language activists
    *Catholic civilians
    Did I forget to mention Pinochet subsequently visited Margaret Thatcher for tea on more than one occasion?

Stefan Gillies

56. John Nolan says:

Stefan, most of the loyalist paramilitary violence was reactive and randomly sectarian. The idea that it was directed by British Intelligence is a republican myth. The last thing the government wanted was to stoke the fires of sectarian violence. In any counter-insurgency operation there are ‘dirty tricks’ but the assumption (which turned out to be correct) was that once PIRA called a halt to its campaign the loyalist paramilitaries would do likewise.

57. stefangillies says:

Indeed John Nolan, Irish sectarianism is not random but British made and it should not be forgotten that anti-Catholicism is still part of UK law as the monarch may not marry a Catholic.
    The De Silva report last year led to David Cameron formally apologising to the family of the murdered Belfast lawyer Pat Finucane in the House of Commons and agreed that there was state collusion between police officers and soldiers and his loyalist killers.
    The prime minister said there were “shocking levels of collusion” in the killing and that the depth of the co-operation between the security forces and Finucane’s loyalist killers was “unacceptable”.
    Your assumption about Loyalist paramilitaries is brought into question by chairman of the Police Federation for Northern Ireland recently saying Loyalist paramilitaries have “hijacked” protests over the flying of the British flag at Belfast’s City Hall and have “turned their guns on the police”!

Stefan Gillies

58. John Nolan says:

Stefan, as a Catholic with an Irish background, I cannot accept that you can excuse sectarian violence by blaming it all on the English. “Yes, we’re vicious thugs who have no compunction about murdering innocent civilians, but the Brits made us that way”. Sorry, it won’t wash.

When PIRA murdered (say) Protestant building workers they claimed that this was not sectarian as these were “aiding the security forces”. Not surprisingly, the Prots did not buy into this casuistry. They retaliated by murdering Catholics – any Catholics. This is what I mean by random sectarian violence.

I am aware of the Finucane case, and the fact that it merited a formal apology at the highest level. Nor do I deny the responsibility of the Stormont and British governments for precipitating the crisis in the first place by their actions (or lack of them) from 1968 to 1972. But for most of the duration of the ‘Troubles’ the motor for the continuing violence was PIRA, which was far better organized than the Prot paramilitaries, which were more fragmented (in some cases simply autonomous psychopaths). Ed Moloney’s ‘A Secret History of the IRA’ (2002) has some good insights into the republican mindset.

59. stefangillies says:

John,
    Irish sectariansim is a direct result of the divide and rule policy pursued by Ireland’s rulers in London down the centuries.
    The penal Laws introduced by William and Mary severely penalised Irish Catholics, penalised to lesser extant those who were Dissenters and rewarded those who became Anglicans. Anglicanism was the badge of allegiance to the crown and to English rule and a passport to privilege.
    Edmund Burke described the Penal Code as ‘a machine as well fitted for the oppression, impoverishment and degradation of a people, and the debasement in them of human nature itself, as ever proceeded from the perveted ingenuity of man’.

I am familiar with Ed Moloney’s work, may I suggest you read ‘Garvaghy – a community under seige’ by the Garvaghy residents to understand better the reality of living under the apartheid system that is British rule in Ireland.
    This statement from ‘Relatives for Justice’ reiterates what I have said on the subject…
    “Such is Thatcher’s legacy in relation to Ireland that she ranks alongside Cromwell and Trevelyn. Margaret Thatcher was a war criminal happy in the company of the architects of apartheid in South Africa and dictators of South America such as Pinochet whom she protected from international accountability.”

Stefan Gillies

60. John Nolan says:

Stefan, if you really think the statement you quoted amounts to a balanced assessment, then it’s a waste of time arguing with you.

61. stefangillies says:

Magaret Thatcher in her mantilla reminds me of this episode highlighted for us by Fr Lasance in the ‘Prisoner of Love’…

“On one occasion the Pretender Charles Stuart , when in exile, paid a visit to the church of the Dominicans at Brussels, accompnied by the Prince of Condé, and several other personages of high rank. The Blessed Sacrament was exposed for the devotion of the Forty Hours. Charles Stuart did not heed this, but began to converse with members of his suite. The Religious who were in the church thought themselves obliged to conceal the indignation which this irreverence caused them. But Father Ambrose only saw in the prince and the coutiers who surrounded him Christians on whom it was incumbant to pay homage to the King of Kings; he went up to them and quietly but firmly reminded them of the respect due to the Holy Eucharist. Charles Stuart took the reproof in good part; he admired the zeal for the house of God which actuated Father Ambrose. Kneeling down immediately, he said a prayer and left the church in silence.”

Stefan Gillies