Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. Kelly: HvonBlumen thal Re: ius it seems to me undeniable that the later renderings of ius as “rig ht” have their origins in earlier uses of it as “law ”. It is that...
- Charivari Rob: …Eri c Idle and Robbie Coltrane being an entirely different category, of course.
- Charivari Rob: Argument Clinician, thank you. After Father Z’s remark, I went back to look for the article I had originally seen. I can’ t remember which site it was, but it had a photo...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Semper Gumby says: Tracer Bullet I looked for him today at the usual secret drop place (near the hot dog stand). He must have gone to pick up more heaters. Maybe Friday, same...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): We had a prominent member of that religious order in my area who was a big-time advocate for women priests, and specifical ly, for the view that it was wrong for the Church...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I read somewhere that, on account of its structural integrity, butter lettuce makes a highly effective hamburger bun (for those of us who need to not eat (ordinary) bread).
- FrAnt: In another post, Fr. Z. notes a LifeSite interview with Cardinal Muller where the Cardinal notes that some are trying to make “hom osexuals 8221; a third species next to men and...
- LarryW2LJ: During the first week of our Advent Bible study, my ears perked up when it was mentioned that it was 21 centuries between the Call of Abraham and the birth of Jesus. and now it̵...
- scotus: This story made the front page of a British newspaper. I can’ t remember which one but it was a tabloid.
- Legisperitus: Apropos of that, this is pretty cool: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/archeo logists-so dom-and-go morrah-lit erally-des troyed-by- fire-and-b rimstone
- Semper Gumby: Back in the 1970s a Leftist nun spent most of her time writing and distributi ng unhinged screeds against men. When asked why she didn’ ;t leave the Church she replied: Because...
- monstrance: Oh, I guess we do have one brave Shepherd – But he went into hidingR 30;..
- monstrance: Joe, Whatever happened to the “Fraternal Correction ” ? Pray for just one brave Shepherd.
- Semper Gumby: Glad to hear Fr. Z made it to Fr. MurrayR 17;s dinner in time and is enjoying NYC. That image above might not be the Uber network map. It seems to be a satellite photo of Tracer...
- DonL: Let’ s face the hard facts. These wagering ladies were really gambling on where they’ ;ll spend eternity. Deep faith in not getting caught is hardly Church teaching.
- MaHrad: I was there (at the pontifical Mass)! It was BEAUTIFUL! My husband is deployed and may or may not have almost cried when he heard about the Mass and realized that he would have to miss it....
- Albinus: Thank you for this post, Father. The knowledge of Latin among the clergy, at least from my experience , is truly abysmal, which is such a shame. But the good news is that it can be learn...
- Glennonite: Yes; every word, exactly. Thank you.
- Julia_Augusta: Always have the Lyft app on your phone as an alternativ e. Most drivers use Uber and Lyft.
- benedetta: I have been listening every morning. Thank you for these, Father.
- Suburbanbanshee: Borscht is so good! And heck, beets also fight inflammati on, helps your blood move oxygen and get iron, etc. So your body was telling you something very sensible when it asked for...
- moon1234: Would love to hear some samples!
- HvonBlumenthal: Fr Kelly, Im afraid you are more hip than I am, Im simply not up to speed on the latest meaning of munus. Im not sure I agree about ius, however. I think that the definition given...
- HvonBlumenthal: JonPatrick : even the breach under Edward VI could have been overcome under the influence of the Oxford Movement by way of the irregular but valid apostolic lines of various vagante...
- RKR: Cafepress also has Viganò bumper stickers, T-shirts and such, all with the correct diacritic. I made lots of borscht this summer with a bumper crop of beets from my garden. It is not only...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
- New art from Daniel MITSUI – great gift idea
- After the funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- ASK FATHER: Can we cook with or drink Holy Water?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: New Evangelization
This is impressive by anyone’s standards.
The wonderful Lyceum school in Cleveland, has a great choir. They sang for a Pontifical Mass with Card. Burke and then a Divine Liturgy with Bp.Milan Lach.
Read about it HERE.
I want to offer official Fr. … Continue reading
From a reader…
In recent weeks I recall reading here and elsewhere some encouraging speculation and projections about the numbers of vocations produced by traditional vs. non-traditional types of communities. I’ve discovered that my parish seems to support those projections. We … Continue reading
Wherein Fr. Z rants: the tyrannies of #sodoclerical euroweenies with their self-centered, condescending effeminate blather
The old phrase is: Piscis primum a capite foetet.
Over the many years I have been either going to or living in Rome, it has been interesting to see how the styles and modes change in the ecclesiastical shops. These modes … Continue reading
Over the years, I’ve written often of the great Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, in Gower, MO near Kansas City. They record wonderful music discs. They make vestments. They, above all, pray for priests and bishops. This … Continue reading
Good news from Tyler… no… mooorrrre good news from Tyler, TX.
You might recall that Most Rev. Joseph E. Strickland, Bishop of Tyler, was just about the first US prelate out of the gate to say clearly that the content of Archbp. Viganò’s “Testimony” was … Continue reading
I am thrilled that Angelico Press sent me copies of books by true heroes in our struggle to revitalize our Catholic identity through the reclamation of sacred liturgical worship.
First, Martin Mosebach has updated his great The Heresy of Formlessness: The … Continue reading
Here is some great Brick By Brick news from the City of Angels.
Archbp. Gomez official set up a traditional parish, staffed by the FSSP, exclusively for the traditional Roman Rite. Fr. James Fryar, a fine priest whom I met in … Continue reading
There is an amusing piece at Fishwrap by the strongly biased liberal Peter Feuerherd about a parish in Detroit which has been given over to the formation of new Oratory. Oratories are popping up all over, probably as an unconscious … Continue reading
ACK! I posted the wrong photos. Corrections below.
Speaking of Corpus Christi and processions, you might recall that some months ago I suggested to the readership that it would be a good gesture to help Corpus Christi parish in London, on … Continue reading
Here is a really sad tweet about this year’s Corpus Christi procession moved from Rome to Ostia. (Not a great idea, but, hey, they didn’t ask me.) There is a link to a video of the whole thing. Click ahead … Continue reading
In 1986 the English edition of Joseph Ratzinger’s Feast of Faith was published by Ignatius Press. US HERE – UK HERE In that volume Benedict XVI reflected on the feast of Corpus Christi.
His Holiness juxtaposed the sad decline of Eucharistic devotions after … Continue reading
PHOTOS @MadisonDiocese – Corpus Christi Mass with Procession – Traditional Pontifical Mass at the Throne
Yesterday evening, real Corpus Christi, we had a Pontifical Mass at the Throne with a Eucharistic Procession at St. Norbert’s in Roxbury, WI, a beautiful little church in a deeply German area of the diocese.
Here are a few photos to … Continue reading
A lay reader today alerted me to an opinion cartoon in The Sunday Independent in Ireland. That sad, earthly-enslaved nation repealed by referendum the 8th amendment to their Constitution, which protected the right to life of the unborn. The Constitution, … Continue reading
A couple of related stories.
Consider this against the background of some clever tweets that are going around. Some wags post side by side images of something traditional and something liberal with the caption, “What young people want… What old people … Continue reading
Two items concerning Philadelphia’s Archbishop Charles Chaput have come across my scree in the last few hours.
First, today I received PDF (PDFs are clunky) of a column that that Archbp. Chaput wrote for their archdiocesan newspaper. In this column, the … Continue reading