Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: Awwww, ya just gotta love that look with one ear up and one ear down… ;.Barf. Ok, no, you don’ t. Even if one can imagine, as a deacon, thinking the thought ” I could go out...
- Orlando: This reminds me of a certain deacon in my former home parish (since switched to another parish that offers the TLM) that used to rap the homily to better “ connect” with the congregati on....
- WVC: Fr. Z (and others) – were you irritated / annoyed / bothered by the opening “pra yer” at the rally? Orthodox Metropolit an Tikhon offered something that seemed heretic...
- WVC: I will respectful ly write to the Holy Father, as requested, but does anyone know how to send something to Cardinal Burke? I wanted to send notes of encouragem ent to both Cardinal Burke and...
- benedetta: And there in the window behind him, Our Lady weeps.
- Grant M: We need dogma and we get dog masks. The dog lives loudly within this guy…
- Danteewoo: Been to thousands of Novus Ordo Masses over fifty years or so. Can’ t think of one that didn’ ;t leave me a little cold and distracted . Almost impossible to pray at it,...
- TonyO: The Novus Ordo forces. That, Father, is priceless. Thank you. The worst innovators of the Novus Ordo take oganically grown symbols of mystery away to denude the sanctuary and the ceremo...
- Neal: “Surely a man resolved as Pope Francis is to do what is right for mankind, was ill-served by those who counseled him on what to say in addressing a joint session of Congress.“ So, when Fr....
- Joy65: Remember this from a couple of years ago: https://ww w.westernj ournalism. com/church -receiving -criticism -seahawks- display-al tar-super- bowl/ Our Lord must be SO offended because even...
- Joy65: THANK YOU Father Z.
- Charles E Flynn: Right up there with what I had to endure in college, a woman reading from “Win nie the Pooh” ; replacing a priest reading from Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. The priest,...
- Sawyer: Domini canis? This stunt would be utterly unthinkabl e in the Extraordin ary Form. That’ ;s not to say that the OF is intrinsica lly awful; just that there is something about the OF...
- JARay: This lunacy betokens lack of training, lack of appreciati on of the dignity required of public service, lack of respect for the Blessed Sacrament and sheer lack of common sense. And yes, I...
- MichaeltDoyle: Why is the Sanctuary holy? What does the Sanctuary hearken back to in the Old Testament? How does the presence of the Eucharist in the tabernacle change how I should act? Why is a...
- AA Cunningham: I hope that His Excellency Archbishop Chaput will give Deacon Anthony Dilenno a swift kick in the backside on his way out of the chancery and the opportunit y to find a vocation more...
- richiedel: In addition to being sacrilegio us, thoughts which would stick out in my mind even more would be: 1) Boy, this deacon sure likes to draw attention to himself. – OR – 2)...
- Mike: Thank you for the Nope Meter. I needed that on this fairly tense day.
- acardnal: “Sav e the liturgy, save the world.R 21; – Our Gracious Host
- deaconjeff: As a Permanent Deacon at a different Saint Rose of Lima, words cannot even begin to express how wrong this is, or how embarrasse d I am for this Deacon and Permanent Deacons as a whole....
- Benedict Joseph: Baffoonery is a desperate attempt for personal relevancy. It is endemic in ecclesiast ical circles from the top down, on daily display. Do good and disappear. Gravitas!
- LarryW2LJ: i would have gotten up and walked out as soon as I saw that.
- Dan: I recently heard a silence request from some people in my parish. They felt the organ playing after Mass was too loud, because they couldnR 17;t visit with their friends in the nave very...
- scrchristensen: Thank you very much for for sharing Fr. RutlerR 17;s article and for your own comments Fr. Z! This came at a very needed time for me. Question: I have been meaning to study...
- bushboar: Archbishop Chaput is one of the good guys. I have no doubt that he will address this properly.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Hitchens: We were told not to worry.
- Card. Burke speaks up
- #OafForADay – Deacon in vestments and a dog mask
- We Are Our Rites! Wherein Fr. Z rants after reading Peter Kwasniewski
- Rutler writes about “men with chests”. The “impossible dream”?
- The Pope wants to hear from you. No. Really. He wants the “sensus fidelium”.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- From a priest: an interesting experience saying Mass
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- My View For A While: Counter March
- #March4Life numbers and Pres. Trump’s words
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Pope Francis
His Holiness Pope Francis today gave his annual Christmas “greetings” address to members of the Roman Curia. HERE With his extemporaneous words at the end, it amounts to some 43oo words and covered 8 single-spaced pages of Times 12 point … Continue reading
His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke gave interview to LifeSite. He said that the “formal correction” of Pope Francis he had mentioned before could “probably” be issued sometime after the upcoming Feast of the Epiphany, thus after 6 January 2017
Among the things … Continue reading
Famed canonist Ed Peters today at his exceptional blog In The Light Of The Law has a piece that you will want to peruse.
He doesn’t have an open combox, but I do. Read, re-read, pause to think, think again, discuss.
My … Continue reading
The Smear Machine is grinding. right on schedule, the liberal news outlets are closing ranks to discredit The Four Cardinals who submitted dubia to the Holy Father about what are generally admitted by reasonable people to be confusing points.
Thought: I suggest to … Continue reading
Does Pope Francis think that young people who want Traditional Latin Mass are rigid, defensive, insecure?
I’ve been on the road for a couple days, so I’m just now getting to this.
From LifeSite [with my emphases and comments]:
Pope Francis on the young who like Latin Mass: ‘Why so much rigidity?’
On second thought, I’m not going to put time and energy into this.
I … Continue reading
Pope Francis, during an airplane presser (please, God, end them) responded to a question about ordination of women. This would be a question of some importance to Protestants who “ordain” women and to the catholic wymyn who push such nonsense.
Via … Continue reading
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for November 2016
The Holy Father’s universal prayer intention for November is: “That the countries which take in a great number of displaced persons and refugees may find support for their efforts which show solidarity”.
His intention for … Continue reading
By now you have heard that there will be a consistory in November to create new Cardinals. The latest batch is a mixed bag.
I have been going a zillion miles an hour since I hit Rome so I haven’t … Continue reading
When we desire to obtain indulgences we are often asked to pray for the Holy Father’s intentions.
Pope Francis’ prayer intentions for October
The Holy Father’s universal prayer intention for October is: “That journalists, in carrying out their work, may always be … Continue reading
I point the readership to two must-read pieces.
First, in of all places the New York Times (aka Hell’s Bible), an op-ed by Matthew Schmitz of First Things. “Has Pope Francis Failed?”
Next, Carl Olson’s opinion piece at Catholic World Report, which picks up … Continue reading
I’m reading the Italian edition of Pope Benedict’s book-long interview with German journalist Peter Seewald. I’m jumping around a bit and I ran across an interesting section. Here is my on the fly translation from the Italian (not from the … Continue reading
From a reader…
I saw today that Pope Francis confirmed that Fr. Hamel is a “martyr.” Does this mean we can now refer to him as St. or Blessed or Venerable Fr. Hamel?
I strongly suspect that Fr. Jacques Hamel, recently killed in his … Continue reading
Pope Francis wrote to the Bishop of San Miguel of his old haunts Argentina, about the proper interpretation of Chapter 8 of the Post-Synold Apostolic Exhortation Amoris laetitia.
Let’s test your Spanish.
Via InfoCatólica with my emphases:
Carta del Papa Francisco en respaldo a … Continue reading
Today it was announced that Pope Francis created a “Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development” through a Motu Proprio published on today in L’Osservatore Romano. More from Vatican Radio HERE.
The Dicastery will come into effect on 1 January 2017 and … Continue reading
Here is Vatican Radio‘s translation of Pope Francis’ Angelus address today:
Vatican Radio translation of the Pope’s Angelus address:
“Dear brothers and sisters, good morning! [He said, “Buon giorno”. We are after noon, of course.]
Today’s Gospel passage invites us to meditate on the theme … Continue reading