Search Fr. Z’s Blog
Art by D Burkart
You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Shopping online through Amazon?
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
- Dave N. said We are continually reminded of the ever-declining...
- musicus said There are 2 reasons that GIRM #299 says that the a...
- Former Altar Boy said A good example that it is manly for men to sing in...
- jhayes said Crych, Imrahil, in his “?An Etymological Dic...
- robtbrown said Roger Maris was also a practicing Catholic. Also...
- Orlando said Our parish is the largest parish in the USA, over...
- MmeScherzo said My, but they sound like the manliest Welshmen!
- Orlando said Father , what reference sources can you recommend...
- billy15 said Yet another reason to love Mike Piazza. I loved wa...
- mo7 said My Jewish classmates didn’t speak of religio...
- mo7 said Eric :-D
- Venerator Sti Lot said un-ionized, Thanks for the latest suggested readin...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Semper Gumby, Thank you – ‘abrogation&...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Imrahil, Thank you! The latest I’ve seen is...
- Matthew said My bishop is gay and has all but done away with th...
- crych said @Imrahil: The OED (1st) has this: ‘[apparent...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Sal said, “I don’t think that masses at St....
- iPadre said This deserves a great Amen in stereo. For too long...
- Christine said lana– That was beautiful. I will pray for th...
- jhayes said Imrahil, the OED definition is “A distinct c...
- Absit invidia said Can somebody please translate Pope Francis’...
- Kerry said This 10:30 AM in the small town of Tabor, SD, popu...
- Prayerful said Fr Bugini got rid of Latin at the urging of his br...
- stuart reiss said Ahem..Cricket is the game God loves the most…...
- un-ionized said Iana, God bless you and your son.
- Henry Edwards said Sal: “I would venture to guess that probably...
- lana said After a long battle with heroin addiction, my son...
- PTK_70 said Just some reflections of a personal nature on the...
- ckdexterhaven said To the priests and deacons reading this: Please st...
- WYMiriam said EF. In speaking of the Pharisee and the publican...
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Wherein Fr. Z becomes a fan of the Samoan Rugby Team
- SILENT NO LONGER: A priest speaks out!
- Mike Piazza – Baseball Hall of Fame Speech: “…the greatest gift a mother could give a child, the gift of my Catholic Faith.”
- Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ #HamRadio Saturday: Zuhlsdorf’s Law isn’t finished with me yet, CW, and Echolink
- Feminist v. Christian
- WDTPRS – 10th Sunday after Pentecost: Mercy does not mean turning a blind eye to Justice
- The blog, donations and you.
- GIRM WARS: Another front opens in Iowa
- Card. Burke on Islam and our choices for the future
- WDTPRS – 17th Ordinary Sunday: Sin-Teflon and Demon-Kevlar
- 22 July: Happy FEAST of St. Mary Magdalene
- NOTE TO READERS: Registration, comments, Snail Mail and Email
- “Forward!” he cried, showing them the crucifix, “Victory is ours.” – St. Lawrence of Brindisi
- Why aging liberals are so nasty and so frightened
- #gopconvention reminds me of two wonderful things
- Advice to new priests in first assignments who suffer under liberal pastors. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Is it a sin to laugh or joke when in need of confession?
- Z-SWAG: HOLY MASS – TURN TOWARDS THE LORD AGAIN!
- Why are certain people afraid of “ad orientem” worship?
- Implementing ‘ad orientem’ worship with charity, prudence and courage
- PODCAzT 149: Interview with Fr. Richard Heilman – Part 2
- Aspirants to Religious Life, Priesthood, DEBT, and You – ACTION ITEM!
- A US bishop “expects”, but doesn’t command, that Mass be said “facing the people”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The Church in Germany is crashing and burning
- ASK FATHER: Last prayer at the point of death
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Odd Brit Sandwich, Priest Killer Pasta, Beautiful Youth Missal
- WDTPRS 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU!
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: D. Madison
On 1 July, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, by the grace of God and the Apostolic See Bishop of Madison (aka The Extraordinary Ordinary), sang a Pontifical Mass at the Throne in the Roman Rite’s traditional form. Holy Mass … Continue reading
UPDATE: I’ll pass this along… From the Chancellor of the Diocese of Madison: With this email I convey the dispensation of the Most Rev. Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison, granted to any of those who assist piously in the … Continue reading
I am sure that many of you had the chance to hear Holy Mass on the Feast of Ascension THURSDAY, in either the older, traditional Roman Rite of Holy Mother our Catholic Church or in the new-fangled rite. For our … Continue reading
For your Brick By Brick file. More great news from the Extraordinary Ordinary of Madison, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C Morlino. This comes by way of the liberal (for Madison a tautology), secular newspaper the WSJ. My emphases and comments. At area Catholic … Continue reading
UPDATE – PHOTOS – MADISON: 8 Dec – Solemn Mass in the presence of Bp. Morlino for Immaculate Conception
Last night, 8 Dec, the Tridentine Mass Society of Madison (we have a vestment project – PLEASE HELP!) sponsored a Solemn Mass in the Extraordinary Form in the Presence of the Diocesan Bishop, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino … Continue reading
Photos are starting to come in from the Pontifical Requiem at the Throne offered by His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, The Extraordinary Ordinary Bishop of Madison. I think it may have been the only Requiem at the Throne…anywhere. The … Continue reading
On All Souls, 2 November, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, the Extraordinary Ordinary, Bishop of Madison, will pontificate at a Pontifical Requiem Mass at the Throne. I suspect it may be the only Requiem at the Throne… anywhere. … Continue reading
The other night the Extraordinary Ordinary, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C Morlino, Bishop of Madison was on EWTN with Raymond Arroyo to discuss the recent changes made in Canon Law to the marriage tribunal process and matters concerning the … Continue reading
From yesterday’s Pontifical Mass at the Faldstool for the Feast of the Assumption at St. Mary’s in Pine Bluff, WI. His Excellency Most Rev. Robert C. Morlino (aka the Extraordinary Ordinary) was the celebrant. Most the seminarians of the diocese … Continue reading
On Saturday, 15 August, Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, His Excellency Most Reverend 1Robert C. Morlino will celebrate in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite a Pontifical Mass at the Faldstool at 11 AM at the … Continue reading
UPDATE 14 SEPT: Since this was posted there was a development. Bp. Morlino appeared on EWTN and made a clarification about one statement in the letter, below. HERE ____ ORIGINAL Published on: Aug 7, 2015 @ 08:59: His Excellency Most … Continue reading
You may have heard about the highly offensive move of the Milwaukee Art Museum. They displayed a “portrait” of Benedict XVI made from colored condoms. That’s just plain nasty. The Vicar General of the Diocese of Madison, Msgr. James Bartylla, … Continue reading
First, today, the Feast of the Sacred Heart, you can gain a plenary indulgence under the usual conditions. “A plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful who, on the solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, publicly recite the … Continue reading
I just watched the video stream of The Extraordinary Ordinary, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison, offering the opening prayer of the Wisconsin Senate on a day when the Senate voted to ban abortion after 20 weeks. The prayer … Continue reading
On the evening of Thursday 4 June, the Feast of Corpus Christi, the Tridentine Mass Society of Madison (latinmassmadison.org) sponsored a Pontifical Mass at the Throne, in the Roman Rite’s Extraordinary Form (the way we prayed before and during the … Continue reading