Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Father, various commenters have expressed Rite specific norms. What is normative, by Rite, for the Deacon?
- Ave Crux: Its rather astounding . That’ ;s not a simple dance by any means and they’ ;re all in perfect unison. I found it amazing. If the Faith could but harness the fervor and enthusi...
- Blackfriar: I like to see dalmatics worn, and would encourage them in the ordinary form. However, readers should be aware that in the extraordin ary form of the Dominican Rite – and perhaps...
- Quanah: “Glo ria has to do with man’s recognitio n of God as God. Gloria is a characteri stic of God which He will share with us so as to transform us throughout eternity.& #8221; What a...
- Suburbanbanshee: (I think the reason you always see Victorian people exercising in white clothes is that you could bleach white clothes more easily. Of course, maybe they wore other colors when...
- Suburbanbanshee: First off, nobody should be doing anything in the sanctuary that involves exercises. Obviously. Second, all that hatha yoga stuff is actually something that late 19th and early...
- mcferran: A response based upon liturgical law might be more helpful. The GIRM states (338 Canada): “The vestment proper to the Deacon is the dalmatic, worn over the alb and stole; howev...
- tho: In my lifetime, the Host, and any altar cloth, or for that matter anything material or human that touched the Host, without consecrate d hands, had to be scrubbed by a priest, who was the only...
- robtbrown: In the above comment “def initive 221; is a Latin adverb meaning definitive ly.
- robtbrown: Addendum: Acc. to Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s explanatio n, the Infallibil ity of Ordinatio Sacerdotal is lies in its status within the Ordinary Universal Magisteriu m. As I noted above,...
- Fr_Sotelo: Just when I think I’ve read it all, seen it all. Telling the deacon not to wear the dalmatic? I think the deacons look great in the dalmatic!
- ThePapalCount: It seems that many priests are apprehensi ve about having deacons around. I know of a priest who refused to allow a deacon to preach for over a year, despite the fact that the deacon...
- AndyMo: “In the Third Millennium , the argument from authority is no longer sufficient . There are too many educated Catholics. ” First of all, chronologi cal snobbery is hardly more...
- frjim4321: Very clever idea. The public school where we have our religious ed classes has something a little simpler on the door jambs; a metal plate; I not sure how it works. I would also like to...
- TonyO: Pretty nice invention. Good job, Justin. Of course, it does have limitation s. First, it depends on making base plates that match with the specific door jamb and wall location, so it cannot...
- clarinetist04: There certainly are politics at play, no doubt, but to cast Msgr. Rossi as not allowing the EF in “his ShrineR 21; is unfair at best. They have the EF mass every week, the...
- Grateful to be Catholic: These poor deluded women are the victims of clericalis m. They think it’s about power and so do the men who enable them. As someone else says, sad.
- clare joseph: Thank you, Emilio III, for clarifying all this so well. It’s a joy to see so many young people dancing so beautifull y in honor of Our Lady.
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
- Suburbanbanshee: Fr. Jim — As a woman, I find your remarks insulting. Why should women abandon their unique roles and importance , in favor of becoming exactly like men? Do you think that we...
- JabbaPapa: Well said robtbrown — it might be worth adding that the Eastern spiritual teachers themselves also denounce this westernise d “spi ritual yoga” ; as being a perver...
- JustaSinner: As a former Marine Drill Instructor once said at OCS, “Thi s s@$t is getting real!̶ 1; With that in mind, I know Jesus has asked me to turn the other cheek to my enemies, but...
- JabbaPapa: frjim4321 : I know the reasons, as stated, and I don’t find them convincing . Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. In FACT Pope Saint John Paul II...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: Saved in hope
- ASK FATHER: Priest forbids a deacon to wear a dalmatic
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: D. Madison
A sample of the music. We had a great choir from Eau Claire.
A few snaps from beautiful Candlemas 2018.
Put this in your calendars.
Candlemas is coming up on 2 February.
His Excellency Most Rev. Robert C. Morlino will be the celebrant for this Pontifical Mass at the Throne.
The rites include the blessing of candles.
The music will be provided by a … Continue reading
On Tuesday 28 November in Madison, the Extraordinary Ordinary confirmed using the traditional Roman Rite. There were quite a few confirmands. We had people from Kansas, Minnesota, Maryland and North Carolina along with folks from area.
We started with a Solemn … Continue reading
I’ve been watching tweets against Bp. Morlino as part of the ongoing jihad against him here in Madison.
These poor people.
Ultra-liberal Madison, by the way, was once described by a former governor of Wisconsin as “30 square miles surrounded by reality”, … Continue reading
On 2 November, All Soul’s Day Bishop Robert Morlino of the Diocese of Madison will celebrate a special Pontifical Requiem Mass at the Throne (Extraordinary Form).
This annual Requiem Mass is celebrated for the deceased clergy of the diocese.
The Requiem Mass … Continue reading
From the Catholic League:
Attack On Bishop Morlino Is Scurrilous
October 30, 2017
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on recent attacks on Bishop Robert Morlino of the Diocese of Madison (Wisconsin):
Catholics in the Diocese of Madison are very fortunate to have such … Continue reading
From the spasmodic reactions of hysterical homosexualists and their abettors, you would think that the chancery personnel in the Diocese of Madison were clubbing babies… no, that wouldn’t be so bad…. baby seals … no, gay baby seals and eating their beating hearts … … Continue reading
At Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) there is a “news” piece about the coverage … a news piece about the coverage… sheesh… which was given to a post at the notoriously liberal liturgy blog Pray Tell, which incorrectly attributed to Bp. Robert … Continue reading
During the Chinese Cultural Revolution, Mao and other leaders signaled to the masses, such as gangs of students, whom they should target for attack and public abuse. Quickly the mobs, led by party cadres, began to conduct purges of “enemies … Continue reading
We now have some video of the Pontifical Mass at the Throne celebrated by Bishop Robert C. Morlino, the Extraordinary Ordinary of Madison, on 13 October 2017 at St. Mary’s in Pine Bluff, WI for the 100th anniversary of the … Continue reading
On Friday 13 October, we had a Pontifical Mass at the Throne with the Extraordinary Ordinary of Madison, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino at the little church of St. Mary in Pine Bluff where Fr. Richard Heilman is … Continue reading
On 13 October, special Masses will be celebrated on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun during the final apparition of Our Lady at Fatima.
Use the combox to post about YOUR Masses!
In Madison, His Excellency … Continue reading
On 13 October 2017 we observe the 100th anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun that concluded Our Lady’s apparitions at Fatima, Portugal.
In celebration of that anniversary and to give glory to God and honor to Mary, Mother of the … Continue reading
On Friday evening at Santa Maria sopra Minerva there was a beautiful Mass for which the ministers were of the Institute of Christ the King. There were a great many of the faithful present, including clerics… yes… they belong to the … Continue reading
Some shots from the Pontifical Mass at the Throne the other day, 22 August, at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Monona for the Feast of the Immaculate Heart (Extraordinary Form). His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino is the … Continue reading
On Tuesday, 22 August, at 6 p.m., at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Monona, His Excellency Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison, will celebrate a Pontifical Mass at the Throne for the traditional Feast of the Immaculate Heart of … Continue reading
I contend that the shortage of vocations is a self-inflicted wound.
Yesterday, here in the Diocese of Madison, the Extraordinary Ordinary and the seminarians concluded a week of praying together, talks, activities, hanging out with each other and priests. Among other … Continue reading
Every summer the Extraordinary Ordinary of the Diocese of Madison, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, gathers all the seminarians for about a week of fraternity and conferences. We are in full swing.
Today, I celebrated Holy Mass for them … Continue reading
I’m tying one on for the 10th anniversary of the release of the text of Summorum Pontificum (aka The Emancipation Proclamation).
Last week the Extraordinary Ordinary ordained three young men for the Holy Priesthood to serve in the Diocese of Madison. The TMSM … Continue reading