Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: Father Z: Yesterday I received The Columbia magazine and skimmed through it this morning before work. The July 2018 issue is solely on Humanae Vitae. I plan to read it cover to cover...
- WmHesch: I’d argue the EF Mass for St. Elias could be said today in any parochial church where a Scapular Confratern ity is erected.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Charlotte Allen: I watched the video again It does bear watching more than once! There are fine details which a single viewing might miss. I’m intrigued by the choice to...
- Charlotte Allen: I watched the video again, this time seeing the engagement and wedding rings, which I’d missed the first time around. They do make the woman more mysterious . She looks too...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: “Wha t is wrong with the world?R 21; “I am.” – G.K. Chesterton We have the means to combat these evils. I mean, really combat them, and decisi...
- Ellen: I have become a Benedictin e Oblate novice. The director who does all the paperwork, mentioned Joan Chittister ’s book. I smiled and went back to the Rule of St. Benedict. Thank...
- HvonBlumenthal: They will deal with him as firmly as they dealt with Fr Matthew Despard, whose terrifying book on the homosexual cabal running the Church in Scotland has been obliterate d from the...
- mepoindexter: Good news is our Diocese (Hamilton, On) appointed our priest as full-time administra tor for the TLM community throughout the Diocese.
- LeeGilbert: Nothing goes without saying these days, so I am grateful for your pointing out who was Tom Roberts in the photo.
- Sonshine135: I’m sorry, I must have missed the part where they talked about conforming their lives to Christ to gain greater holiness 8230;oh wait, they didn’ ;t. Then it wasn’ ;t...
- surritter: The Companions of the Cross are into the charismati c side of Catholicis m, from what I understand . But I like that one of their priests is also doing the Extraordin ary Form. It̵...
- dlmzdy: Fr. Z, I have also been reading about the Vendee battle, and St. Pius X, as a way to put some perspectiv e on the Church during these challengin g times. I was inspired to design and fly...
- CharlesG: I’m trying to figure out what language is being used in this article. It seems similar to English, but it’s not the Queen̵ 7;s English. More like Leftist Buzzword Bingo...
- MrsMacD: Good grief! https://pb s.twimg.co m/media/BX Q3cToCMAAX Lyr.png https://im agesvc.tim eincapp.co m/v3/mm/im age?url=ht tps%3A%2F% 2Fcdn-s3.s i.com%2Fs3 fs-public% 2Fstyles%2 Fmarque...
- tskrobola: A classic comment section! Lol
- tskrobola: Alex Begin is a good friend and a long time leader on the TLM movement in the Detroit and Windsor Dioceses. He has accomplish ed quite a lot! His “Ext raordinary Faith̶ 1;...
- Suburbanbanshee: If you want young women who are actual archaeolog ists, I would rather look at the ladies with rock-climb ing and caving experience , who were hired to do the excavation s of that...
- dbf223: Dr. Janet Smith is generally seen as one of the great orthodox voices defending the ChurchR 17;s traditiona l teaching on contracept ion. She also is on the record supporting speci...
- dbf223: From the Carmelite Rule of St. Albert: “The Apostle recommends silence, since he commands us to observe it while working. And as the prophet testifies: Silence is the service of...
- LarryW2LJ: “It’ s true — together, we can imagine a more inclusive, feminist church into being.R 21; I always thought it was supposed to be about Jesus, and not about us. Oh yeah, that...
- Simon_GNR: My good news is that last Saturday a priest was ordained for our diocese (Hallam, England). There was one new priest last year and before that the last were two ordained in 2013. Pries...
- abasham: Good news! Last week here in the Diocese of Arlington Bishop Burbidge dedicated the brand new church for one of our parishes which was formerly a mission. It is built in a very beauti...
- Fredi D'Alessio: I’m trying to find a Catholic cemetery for my family. This makes me wonder what’ ;s the point since it seems nothing is sacred. Those people have souls and I̵...
- Sportsfan: “Bap tism of child̶ 1;, possible. “chi ld of a same-sex coupleR 21;, impossible . It depends on where you put the quotes.
- Ms. M-S: A family? A father, mother, and their child? Perhaps in the midst of the current insanity we needed a gentle reminder from the past of what’ ;s real and what’ ;s worth preserv...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: indulgences
Here also are my audio projects of the Way of the Cross.
On 1st Fridays, do please pray the Act of Reparation.
What we need right now is PRAYER, especially now.
And remember to GO TO CONFESSION!
For priests, especially, try The Way Of The Cross For Priests … Continue reading
FATHERS! Tell your people.
Catholics can gain a Plenary Indulgence on New Year’s EVE, 31 December (EnchInd. 26) be the recitation or the singing of the Te Deum.
To gain the indulgence the usual following conditions must be met.
1. Sacramental confession and Communion within … Continue reading
From a reader…
Do all indulgenced works (eg visiting the Bl Sacrament for 30 mins) carry with them the three usual requirements (Communion, Confession & prayer for the Pope’s intentions)?
In the Norms for gaining indulgences in the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum we read … Continue reading
From a reader…
With the pope not being what I would call a friend to the traditional mass, my wife has asked how do we pray for his intentions? Can we as lay people be critical of the pope? Where is … Continue reading
It is All Souls. We pray in special way for the dead today and during this octave, and indeed during this month.
Do you know of any of the regular readers or commentators of this blog who have passed away?
Let’s for sure … Continue reading
Let’s have a review of the indulgences available for All Souls and the days that follow, so that you can plan your own action. Don’t let these days slip by.
From the Handbook of Indulgences:
Visiting a Church or an Oratory on All … Continue reading
From a reader…
When praying for an indulgence, is it better / okay to pray for Holy Father’s HOLY intentions, rather than simply his intentions?
These days it seems that – laying aside his published universal intentions – some of his intentions … Continue reading
From a often amusing EOTT:
Vatican Offering Cyber Monday 50% Off Sale On All Indulgences
Even though far more Catholics shopped online than in churches on Black Friday weekend, they are apparently not done yet.
A new EOTT survey released Sunday estimates that … Continue reading
We are in that sweet-spot period when we can gain wonderful indulgences for Poor Souls and we are still within the Year of Mercy. So…
…GET TO WORK!
From a reader…
My husband and I were reading your post on how to gain … Continue reading
It seems somehow fitting to post about indulgences on 31 October.
From the Handbook of Indulgences
Visiting a Church or an Oratory on All Souls Day
A plenary (“full”) indulgence, which is applicable only to the souls in Purgatory is granted to the Christian … Continue reading
From a reader…
I’m a shut-in in a rural area. EMs bring me Communion on Fridays. Confess once a year (prev. yrs ago @ 2 wks). Really no way to confess @ 3 wks for Plenary Indulgences (Priest has 3 parishes). Any exceptions to … Continue reading
From a reader…
I will appreciate your help in leading me to a prayer to protect us from terrorism (specifically Muslim, if possible) that can be recited by our parish weekly during these threatening times. I do this at the behest of my Pastor.
Your … Continue reading
A reader sent:
Father: When the Pope is saying “human person at center”, I think this article might explain the thinking. [The serendipitous article in question is from today’s page at Crisis.]
Person as opposed to power and goods (at center) and … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon during the Mass you heard for your Sunday obligation? Let us know.
For my part, I spoke about the Portiuncula Plenary Indulgence on 2 August, about indulgences in general and about how lavishly … Continue reading
There is a beautiful tradition for this day (often right at 1200 noon). Once upon a time one could obtain this day a plenary indulgence by reciting the Supplication to the Madonna of Pompeii. The other day for this is the … Continue reading