Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- iamlucky13: “I am reminded of Monty Python’s Holy Grail.R 21; Actually, I believe the article was actually based on a deleted scene from Monty PythonR 17;s The Life of Brian, origina...
- originalsolitude: The ESI 88 problem seems to be getting out of hand and causing a minor scandal, even in the local secular media. The root of the problem seems to be that the document is put...
- MrsMacD: My son reminded me of the passage in scripture where the Jews are waiting to be freed from Egypt and one of the scourges is the water is turned to blood.
- Andrew: VIPR (voluto in pavimento ridens – vulgo ROFL)
- Eric: Seems like a prudent move to me. The Society gathering the former Superiors as deposits of wisdom and experience .
- Dimitri_Cavalli: A long time ago, I contribute d some of the short, anonymous “Whi le We’r e at It” articles that appeared in First Things. This is one of my personal favorit...
- Kathleen10: Their bootheels are on our throats. There is nothing earthly to stop them. We better look up.
- JeromeThomas: Just to expand on this a little, Campus Reform is unfortunat ely incorrect in saying that social justice issues are not likely to be discussed at the ICMS. The talks that *were*...
- Kathleen10: A camel is a horse designed by committee. Didn’ ;t you say that, Fr. Z.?
- chantgirl: dbf223- I would usually agree with Janet Smith, but in the case of the nuns, I think she is wrong. The pill does not work merely by preventing ovulation, as breakthrou gh ovulation is...
- Greg Hlatky: This will end only when the last Grievance Studies professor is strangled with the guts of the last Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Clinton R.: Great post, Father. We indeed must live each day preparing ourselves for the Bridegroom . Confessing our sins is a great way to cleanse our soul and make it a suitable dwelling place...
- bobbird: Dr. Evan Lenow is a prof at Southwest Baptist Theologica l Seminary in Ft. worth. He was recently a guest on my radio show The Bird’ ;s Eye View. He defends and teaches HV as a course...
- Kerry: Hmm… what about that plague which killed 1/3 of the population , the “Peo ple of Color̶ 1; Death?
- JesusFreak84: Am I the only one who thinks this could pass for an Onion or EOTT article?
- chantgirl: LOL Well, it is cultural appropriat ion for these 21st century profs of non-Europe an descent to even study the medieval era ;) Must this dumbassery infect every area of academia? Is...
- Julia_Augusta: I am reminded of Monty Python’s Holy Grail.
- richiedel: A real medievalis t like Fr. Augustine Thompson, O.P. would be able to dissect this well.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: As a medievalis t who has taught religious history in state universiti es (Berkeley, Oregon, Virginia) for some 25 years and now teaches that material in a seminary, I...
- Nan: Last night at my little Byzantine Church, we had the vigil liturgy for St Elijah, followed by the blessing of the cars, because Elijah was taken to heaven in a fiery chariot. In Father&...
- Nan: No, they focus on Hildegard being an Abbess and her preaching, St Catherine of Siena telling the Pope what to do, Teresa of Avila for doing what she wanted in reforming the Carmelites but...
- SanSan: This is wonderful blessed news for the faithful in Detroit! Thank you Jesus!
- LeeGilbert: Charles E Flynn, FWIW, The book you link is hardly a case of the Cistercian s “sch olaring on,” for it is the work of David N. Bell, Anglican priest and seminary rector, an...
- Ave Maria: Oh Father, you crack me up! Lets see… I think I shall hopefully identify as a faithful Roman Catholic and I hope that others can tell that! And since this is a day to remember the...
- Fr. Kelly: I too am intrigued by her entry. She comes into the church in much the same way as they young man who becomes a priest does. She is wearing rings on both hands and dressed in a fancy red...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: sermon
Was there a good point made during the sermon you heard for this 1st Sunday of Lent?
Let us know.
If the audio didn’t play immediately, refresh. I had the wrong link for the audio file for a few minutes after posting.
Sometimes I post “good news” posts. We all need good news for a change, right?
One piece of good news gets special notice today.
My good friend Fr. Tim Finigan, PP of Margate, is posting more often again at his exceptional blog: The … Continue reading
From a reader…
At mass on Sunday, after the congregation stood for the Gospel, the pastor asked us all to sit because he was going to combine his sermon with the Gospel. The best way to describe it is to say … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday Obligation for this 1st Sunday of Lent? Let us know!
For my part… well… here it is. Since I am in LENTCAzT mode, I include … Continue reading
From a reader…
It has happened at least two times now where our pastor has preached 30 second homily and then says, ” and now our resident seminarian will offer some words on today’s gospel. ” The seminarian then gives a … Continue reading
I am not eager to do many posts like this, but here is an exception. This interests me because of the state of preaching in these USA.
I received an email from a reader…
+ Hello, Father!
My name is Jenni Sigler and … Continue reading
From a reader…
I have a serious question. Should a nun w or wo a habit (I got wo habit of course) be allowed to give a homily by the priest who just got done reading the Gospel. I was under the impression … Continue reading
From a reader…
Last night the priest saying Mass, said that a nun who was the head of a Theology department at a university could dictate who had faculties to say a homily at the university church. So the such a … Continue reading
First, you might scan what I wrote back on 5 July 2013 about these canonizations.
Wherein Fr. Z explains what is really going on with the canonizations of John XXIII and John Paul II
I can add another element, below. But let’s … Continue reading
From a reader.
What does a laywoman do if the Priest or layperson (this has happened) giving the homily at a mission starts promoting so called “same sex marraige” or trashing the teachings of the Church? Walk out? Take detailed notes … Continue reading
From a reader:
Today, the priest gave an overtly political homily that I have no doubt you would have found highly inappropriate. Think Fr. Michael Pfelger of Chicago. I sat through it in stunned disbelief but some got up and left. … Continue reading
I had a useful and edifying experience today. In a way what happened today dovetails with what I experienced a week or so ago when I carried the Blessed Sacrament for Corpus Christi in the streets of … Continue reading
From a reader:
May a priest give his sermon off the altar and peripatetically — wander into the aisle of the nave to deliver it?
I am not aware that there is any legislation which specifically forbids a bishop, priest or deacon to … Continue reading
The Holy Father’s sermon for Holy Thursday Chrism Mass (in the morning, not the even “Last Supper” Mass).
UPDATE: This sermon is starting to get some sizzle. The New York Times is out and the head line is “Pope Assails ‘Disobedient’ … Continue reading