There are times when it is of gereat advantage to have a very lofty place to perch. Here is a shot of some fireworks being set off from the gardens on the Janiculum Hill at the Propaganda for the observance of the 77th Anniversary of the Lateran Pacts.
The Lateran Pacts were treaties signed on 11 February 1929 by the Holy See and Italy to provide for the mutual recognition of the Kingdom of Italy (as it was then) and the Vatican City State. The pact was negotiated by Pietro Card. Gasparri and Benito Mussolini. There are actually three treaties or pacts: first, for the sovereignty of the State of the Vatican City, also for the buildings and Basilicas of St. John Lateran, St. Mary Major, St. Paul-outside-the-Walls, the Holy Apostles, St Andrea dellaValle, and San Carlo ai Catinari, the Palazzo San Callisto and the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo.
The Lateran Concordat defined the civil and religious relations between the state and the Church (summarised by the motto: "Free Church in free State"). There was also a payment to the Holy See for the confiscation of its properties in 1870.
The 1985 revision removed the establishment of the Catholic Church in Italy.