SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Daily Rome Shot 535, etc.
- Powerful people think that they can suppress the Traditional Latin Mass. They will not succeed. This is one reason why. VIDEO
- Daily Rome Shot 534, etc.
- The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary: The 4th Glorious Mystery
- Daily Rome Shot 533, etc.
- ASK FATHER: What hobbies are permitted on Sundays?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 10th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 20th Sunday)
- 14 August – St. Maximilian Kolbe : priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator. The path of “Oblatio Vitae” for Beatification. #CQ
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “If I go to Saturday night mass and receive Communion, and then go also to Sunday mass, may I receive Communion again?”
- And then there’s …
- Daily Rome Shot 532, etc.
- Coincidences? I think not.
- Liturgical Question: Which of these is NOT like the other?
- Daily Rome Shot 531, etc. – packed!
- ASK FATHER: A priest asks, “Is it okay to learn how to say the Traditional Latin Mass?” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- You thick-headed restorationists, you backwardist, dogma-refrigerating Neopelagians… there is only one unique expression of the Roman Rite! VIDEO
- Daily Rome Shot 530, etc.
- 10 August: Wonderful Collect for St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 529, etc.
- “The sky is crying…” – The Vigil and Tears of St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 528, etc.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants and recommends a must read entry at NLM
- Meanwhile, the Novus Ordo is the only expression of the Roman Rite… not.
- ASK FATHER: The faithful put blood, sweat, and tears into the building, revival of churches, parishes. Given how bishops treat them, is there recourse in Canon Law?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 9th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 19th Sunday)
- Daily Rome Shot 527, etc.
- If a law isn’t accepted, it is essentially no law at all. Traditionis? Time will tell. Novus Ordo? Time has told.
- ASK FATHER: Considering the chaos surrounding ‘Traditionis custodes” could we say that, in effect, it is no law at all?
- Daily Rome Shot 526, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: July 2010
From rogueclassicism: ante diem x kalendas sextilias Neptunalia — an obscure festival (obscure in the sense that we really don’t know what went on) in honour of Neptune ludi Victoriae Caesaris (day 4) 64 A.D. — the Great Fire of … Read More
From a reader: Recently very good friends of mine told me that is is probably a sin to have read the Harry Potter books – even as a child with no intent of getting involved in "magic" or anything of … Read More
About eucharistic communion for the "other specied" members. I learned this morning about an Anglican giving their version of communion to a dog! If you are worried about Our Lord’s admonition in Matthew 7:6, don’t. No sacrament was violated because … Read More
From The Catholic League with my emphases and comments: BOSTON GLOBE & NYT LACK "ZERO TOLERANCE" RULE Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments as follows: Yesterday, a Boston Globe editorial unfavorably compared the Vatican to the American bishops, saying that … Read More
From CNS: Benedict XVI among the top ten oldest Popes since 1400 Rome, Italy, Jul 22, 2010 / 05:27 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Benedict XVI is now the seventh oldest Pope since reliable records began being collected in the year 1400, … Read More
From NASA… which used to have space as its main objective: Video Camera Will Show Mars Rover’s Touchdown July 19, 2010 A downward-pointing camera on the front-left side of NASA’s Curiosity rover will give adventure fans worldwide an unprecedented sense … Read More
For you lovers of reverent liturgy and Summorum Pontificum… try this! And review this. On July 6th, Swedish divers were exploring off Aaland Island, midway between Sweden and Finland, looking for a sailing vessel they’d encountered earlier when they found … Read More
Remember this? A follow up from the persistent Anna Arco of the UK’s best Catholic weekly: Police are monitoring internet for threats against the Pope during British visit By Anna Arco British police have said they are monitoring the internet … Read More
Years ago, long before the existence of WDTPRS, the official WDTPRS Parodohymnist – in the dark days of seminary – worked up new words to a tune familiar to all. To the Sound of Music tune "My Favorite Things": Dalmatics … Read More
Every time I post about the variations priests impose by their own self-centered authority on the celebration of sacraments, and the confusion it causes members of the faithful, questions multiply in my inbox. "But Father! But Father!", some say. "This … Read More
For the Just Too Cool file. Or should that be Just TOO HOT? Scientists find most massive star ever discovered LONDON – A huge ball of brightly burning gas drifting through a neighboring galaxy may be the heaviest star ever … Read More
TIME is at it again, this time with the help of Tim Padgett. Padgett is typical of so many self-professed "Catholic" MSM pundits. Keeping in mind that some of Padgett’s assertions are by now cliché, use this as a workshop … Read More
The other day I had a trip to one of the most tantalizing places I know … Loome Theological Bookseller in Stillwater, MN. Allow me to give you a little video tour of the place! As you can see they … Read More
I hope the Holy Father does, in fact, say the older form of Mass whenever it pleases. The Pope of Rome should be able to use the Roman Rite when it pleaseth His Holiness of our Lord. The other day … Read More
I am tired of writing that Richard McBrien doesn’t get it when it comes to abortion. He does get it. Face facts. Richard McBrien supports “a woman’s right to choose.” He should simply say it openly instead of writing articles … Read More
Biretta tip to His Hermeneuticalness Protect the Pope.com is a new website which counters attacks on Pope Benedict’s reputation and integrity, and provides information and resources for Catholics to respond to incidents that constitute incitement to religious hatred. At the … Read More
At the National Catholic Register (the Catholic paper), Matthew Archbold has the following. My emphases and comments: Is the Pope In Danger? by Matthew Archbold Monday, July 19, 2010 6:02 AM Comments I’ve been saying recently that Pope Benedict XVI … Read More
I had an interesting question via email from a reader. I suppose this has something to do with a) interest in the way people who speak different languages name the sounds animals make b) the coming of summer. QUAERITUR: What … Read More
Some of the commentators who have added their opinions in the combox after my OpEd in WaPo really need your help. A few contributors can both read and think, but there are some deeply confused people over there. And a … Read More
Those wacky geeks at MIT… what’ll they think of next? [youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHGODp0b8Ks]