Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: From the article: If there is something during these years that the pope has taught to journalist s – and to anyone who may wish to listen to him – it is that what he says...
- TonyO: Mostly, the Pope is exemplifyi ng the love and mercy of Jesus more than law and judgment–a nd that has been truly a gift for our Church. I feel sad for those who are blind to this. There is...
- Mario Bird: Gumby, you rogue. You always win these contests. For the record, I would like to note that the pic of the moustachio ed, capped, and star-festo oned Saint bears strong resemblanc e to a...
- magister63: Yes, it was beautiful! But Fr. Z, maybe you could launch a campaign to get proper, rubrical altar cloths? That beautiful altar looks like it has a towel draped over it. God bless, and...
- Just Some Guy: What if we all signed up and raided the meeting with traditiona l Catholic Theology 8230;. Unless, by “mee ting” ; it means set people having a one sided conversati on...
- Benedict Joseph: This cat is a prisoner of a bubble of his own design. Give me strength. Over the edge.
- WarriorSpirit: I saw the Archbishop ’s eyes tear up quiet heavily at the end of the Salve Regina. I saw that as I watched the Holy Mass on Saturday also, but this was closer than my TV. I...
- WarriorSpirit: For one who has no means of attending a Tridentine Holy Mass, this Pontifical Mass was music to my soul. It was beautiful, solemn, and holy in my opinion. How I long to attend...
- roma247: The question is, did the Pope and his hagiograph er lift this directly out of Orwell, or did they imagine that they were being completely original? I keep getting images of pigs walking...
- William: In other news, the documents of Vatican II are hailed for their clarity.
- rcg: It is my understand ing that the fear of punishment is called ‘attrition ’ and sufficient but less than contrition which is founded on sorrow for hurting someone we love as much as we should...
- JEF5570: I wish somebody would explain the whole one sacrament, three orders/deg rees to Trent Horn of Catholic Answers. That guy crashed and burned on this issue.
- Semper Gumby: Kerry: Erin go Bragh.
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z. Great post and comments. Thanks to FrankWalsh ingham, whose comment produced a link by our genial and mischievou s host to a larger photo of the painting (star on collar...
- Kerry: Semper, thank you for the compliment . I enjoy your points of view. Father Zed, more quizzes like these please, yes.
- maryh: Well, that was too late. His field experience was on the front with Italy, though.
- maryh: Vilmos Apor? Hungarian. Although he is mostly known for his actions in WWII, he was a priest and spent some time on the battlefiel d during WWI.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Chaplain Roncalli.
- hwriggles4: Is it Blessed Wladyslaw Miegon? He would have been 25 in 1917, but I don’ t know his ordination date. The uniform does look World War I, and quite frankly i am a little more...
- Semper Gumby: St. John XXIII served as a chaplain in the Italian Army during WW I. [THE WINNER! Well done. Yes, that is Chaplain Angelo Roncalli, the future John XXIII. In those years, however, he...
- PostCatholic: Francis Gleeson?
- Semper Gumby: A few comments from the Peanut Gallery: “A clean-shav en St. Padre Pio is bi-locatin g.” “A battlefiel d visitation by St. Sebastian or St. Martin of Tours.R 21;...
- robtbrown: Ted says: 15 November 2019 at 11:31 AM But wasn’t the program of the liturgical movement based on the same suppositio n, that the liturgy needed to be changed in order to be able to...
- maryh: The Hail Mary in Aztec is amazing! I had tears in my eyes. You notice the Ave Maria had two loan words from Spanish: Dios and gracia. Since I looked up nahuatl (the Aztec language), and it...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: “Nev er give up, never surrender. ”
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ACTION ITEM! Seminarians are waiting for BIRETTAS! Priests are waiting for SATURNOS!
- Ultra-dissident “Voice of the Faithful” to host an online meeting about deaconettes. Anyone can register!
- For some lighter reading
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO – Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- They pretend it’s about language, but in reality it’s about content.
- MY VIEW FOR AWHILE: DC Mass Edition
- Some reading for the road
- The demonic Pachamama idol mess isn’t going to go away
- When life gives you lemons, you can help seminarians
- Some interesting reading for this morning
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
- LATIN MASS MADNESS!!!!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Archd. Washington DC
When a Pope names Cardinals they “get the red hat”. These days the “red hat” is a Roman biretta in the cardinalatial red, porpora sacra. However, as old paintings and present ecclesiastical coats-of-arms demonstrate, the old red hat was the great … Continue reading
After Holy Mass, I dashed to the car and zoomed to not too distant Milwaukee’s aerodrome. I’m off for a quick assault on museums of the nation’s capital and for meetings with a priest and lay people about an upcoming … Continue reading
Italian vaticanista Andrea Gagliarducci writes regularly a column at his place called “Monday Vatican”. You should read him. Today, however, he has a piece at CNA about how Pope Francis seems to approach the selection of and translation of bishops. … Continue reading
My friend Msgr. Charles Pope has a piece on his blog on the site of the Archdiocese of Washington DC. It merits some attention. Here are a few tastes with my emphases: District of Columbia Cancels Appearance of Gospel Artist … Continue reading
Phil Lawler on CWN has a piece worthy of your attention today. Here are some excerpts: The betrayal of Father Guarnizo By Phil Lawler […] Bishop Knestout’s letter was entirely sympathetic to Johnson, entirely unsympathetic to Father Guarnizo. There was … Continue reading
You know by now about the dust up in the Archdiocese of Washington DC, where a priest denied Holy Communion to a woman who had in private announced to him in an unrepentant way that she was a practicing lesbian. … Continue reading
I initially posted on the story HERE. Lot’s of comments, including excellent canonical points from Dr. Peters. As a follow up I posted HERE about can. 915 and the denial of Holy Communion to sinners. As an update, there is an op-ed … Continue reading
Nancy Pelosi: ‘I am going to stick with fellow Catholics’ in Pres. Obama’s war on Catholics. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), catholic and openly an abortion absolutist, is from the Archdiocese of San Francisco, but she spends most of her time in Washington DC. She has at least quasi-domicile in the Archdiocese of Washington DC. She is Archbishop … Continue reading