SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Card. Müller advises Bp. Strickland of Tyler NOT to resign.
- Concerning Tolkien
- Daily Rome Shot 800
- September Ember Days
- Daily Rome Shot 799
- Card. Sarah wrote about Joseph Ratzinger and Sacred Liturgy… has the article been “cancelled”?
- The Synod on Synodality (“walking together on walking togetherity”) tackles the problem of its own CO2 emissions
- Daily Rome Shot 798
- Daily Rome Shot 797
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 16th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O.: 24th) 2023 – 3rd Sunday in the “Season of Creation”
- Adventures in Sunday Worship: St. Anne’s and the Season of Creation
- Daily Rome Shot 796
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-09-07 – Annual priest convocation
- Daily Rome Shot 795
- WDTPRS – 16th Sunday after Pentecost: We need grace so as not to fail in the vocations God entrusts to us
- 15 September: Feast of the Seven Sorrows of Mary – The “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- Daily Rome Shot 794
- REMEMBER! There’s only ONE expression of the Roman Rite. You can’t have your Vetus! It’s all Novus! All the time!
- Clarifications clarify the clarity of the clearness clarified.
- Card. Müller calls the October Synod (“walking together”): “the great hour of manipulation”
- Daily Rome Shot 793
- Fr. Antonio Spadaro, SJ, leaves La Civiltà Cattolica to become “Under-Secretary” at Dicastery for Culture and Education
- 14 September: Exaltation of the Cross and Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thursday 14 September – a good menu choice – BASIL PESTO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-09-12 – Request that relic of St. Jude’s Arm be brought to Diocese of Libville
- Daily Rome Shot 792
- Now THAT’S what I call “concelebration”!
- Ed Pentin, the best working Vaticanista in Rome, has a must read post at his blog by José Antonio Ureta
- A message from Bp. Strickland
- 12 September – Feast of the Holy Name of Mary and anniversary of the Battle of Vienna (1683)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: Bp. Sample
His Excellency Most Reverend Alexander Sample, the next Archbishop of Portland, was interviewed by The Oregonian. They didn’t lob him softballs. After an introductory paragraph or two in which they tee the reader up with the news that he is … Read More
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks! UPDATE: I added a lower resolution version of the video. It should be easier to download. UPDATE: I added an AUDIO ONLY version of the video. See the players below. ORIGINAL POST 15 October … Read More
Last Sunday after the Pontifical Mass at Assumption Grotto (Detroit) at table I asked the celebrant, His Excellency Most Reverend Alexander Sample, if he had some project going on in the Diocese of Marquette for the Year of Faith. He … Read More
My friend Fr. John Boyle has posted on his blog Caritas in veritate, some links to four articles from His Excellency Most Rev. Alexander Sample, Bishop of Marquette. Take it away, Fr. Boyle: Bishop Sample of Marquette, Michigan, is … Read More
For your “Brick By Brick” file. My old friend His Excellency Most Rev. Alexander Sample, Bishop by the Grace of God and the Apostolic See of Marquette in Michigan, recently ordained deacons and subdeacons for the Institute of Christ the … Read More
Benedict XVI: A Decree about Heroic Virtues and the extension of a Saint’s cult to the universal Church
The cause for beatification of a Servant of God important for the north-central United States had a big step forward today. I read in the Bolletino today that His Holiness of our Lord promulgated a decree from the Congregation for … Read More
His Excellency Most Reverend Alex Sample, Bishop of Marquette, has something to say about liturgical reform. This is an interview from Catholic Answers. Bp. Sample stresses a “hermeneutic of continuity”. I am not entirely on board with His Excellency (an … Read More
His Excellency Alex Sample, Bishop of Marquette, has made a powerful statement in the face of the Obama Administration’s open attack on the Catholic Church, the 1st Amendment, and the religious freedom of all Americans. My friend Fr. john Boyle … Read More
Michael Voris made a video about an interview conducted by Catholic World News with an old friend of mine of many years ago, His Excellency Most Reverend Alex Sample, Bishop of Marquette. Voris has a summary of an important point … Read More
My friend Fr John Boyle of the blog Caritas in veritate sums up a convocation of priests in the Diocese of Marquette. His notes about Bishop Alex Sample’s remarks are worth reading in full. Here is an excerpt of the … Read More
His Excellency Most. Rev. Alex Sample, Bishop of Marquette – a fine man and priest I have known for many years – issued a letter about deacons. There is some CNA coverage: Marquette, Mich., Jun 21, 2011 / 05:54 am … Read More
I picked this up from my friend Fr. John Boyle’s blog Caritas in Veritate. It concerns the cause for beatification of the first bishop of Marquette, MI, Frederic Baraga. Baraga went to my native Minnesota as well. March 12, 2011 … Read More