A prayer for a miracle: the sudden, complete and lasting obliteration of COVID-19
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: Of course COVID is due to sin: ALL of the pain and suffering and misfortune s we must bear are due to sin – either our own sins or the sins of others, or original sin. What we will...
- robtbrown: Anita Moore, I have read bishops blaming the virus on immorality . It is true that Sodomy and Murder (or abortion) are sins crying to heaven for vengeance. I’m still waiting for...
- fr.ignatius: I actually took the statement negatively as one discouragi ng parish priests to stream the triduum in the ef. Kind of saying- look you guys only need to do the o.f. and put that online...
- Charles E Flynn: Manfred Hauke wrote his Ph.D. dissertati on on the subject of female ordination , in which he makes it very clear that a priest is a living icon of Jesus Christ, and a woman cannot...
- ChrisP: I think the most important question is…& #8230;. is the Fishwrap good for lighting fires? C’mo n, it must have SOME positive use… …sur ely?
- Gaby Carmel: Well, one thing I know about Caroline Farey: she is absolutely orthodox, an excellent lecturer, and knows how to hold her own in conversati on. Ph. D. Summa cum Laude from… ; , I...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): That the hierarchy is even preoccupyi ng itself with this idiocy in the midst of a global crisis when most Catholics can’t go to Mass or receive the Sacraments proves how...
- robtbrown: Josephus Muris Saliensis says: Several of the comments seem to be an exercise in obfuscatio n – and we know who the author of that is… God cannot be tricked. The fact is that Absolut...
- monstrance: I find it curious that the Holy Father has stepped into box to take another swing at this. He already knows the outcome – groundball back to the pitcher. I can see him creat...
- rcg: The word “restored” jumped out to me. I am not sure he uses the word ‘ontogeny’ correctly. Does he see a difference , ontologica lly, between Mary and Joseph? They are not pursuing an inqui...
- eulogossusan: Jfr1900: Did you read the comments on that First Things article? Comment after comment with no understand ing of the meaning of human presence. There seems to be a Matrix-lik e...
- mcferran: The article in the National Catholic Reporter about the new Commission makes for interestin g reading: https://ww w.ncronlin e.org/news /vatican/s everal-mem bers-new-v atican-com missi...
- TxLurker: “We may, if truly unable to get to a priest, make an Act of Perfect Contrition . By the means of this, all our sins are wiped away, as they would be in the Confession al. As soon as...
- Semper Gumby: Good points Fr. Z. Kathleen10 : You’ ve probably heard already, Communist China has been appointed to the UN Human Rights Council. The phrase “unm itigated gall” ;...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father.
- Simon_GNR: I believe A Transition al Deacon makes a good point. If PF actually wanted to ordain women as deacons, surely he would say so clearly and makes moves for that to happen? As it is,...
- Ms. M-S: Again, thanks Fr. Z!
- G1j: I’m sure the liberal church will make good use of our current conditions just like our liberal politician s and not let a good crisis go to waste. In our parish our pastor is in hiding, our...
- Matthew: Liberals love these sorts of things. They think if they have investigat ion after investigat ion, or commission after commission after commission that we’l l grow weary of hearing...
- Blaise: If Fr Z does not mind, here is the link to the original Italian statement http://www .chiesainu mbria.it/v escovi-umb ri-alla-pa ndemia-del -coronavir us-sostitu iamo-la-pa ndemia-...
- mwa: Bizarrely, much of the text of point 2. in the BishopR 17;s statement seems to come verbatim from an article on paulturner dot org, the blog of a priest of the diocese of Kansas City,...
- Kathleen10: Kenneth, for what it’s worth, today being able to participat e in the live-strea m Mass that Fr. Z offered today, was for us, bliss. Were you present? I can’ t underst...
- Baritone: Deo gratias. An answered prayer.
- Hidden One: Church Militant approves of at least seven of them. If this commission eventually produces a consensus, it won’ t be for ordaining women deacons.
- A Transitional Deacon: The last commission concluded something along the lines of “we can’ t prove there were woman deacons but we also can’ t prove there weren̵ 7;t, further...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- A short VIDEO for Holy Thursday: Fr. Z comments briefly in the “Upper Room” in Jerusalem, makes a request
- Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) on the YACOD (aka YET ANOTHER Commission on Deaconettes)
- Brick By Brick: UK bishops back live-streaming of Extraordinary Form during Holy Week
- Holy Thursday – Tenebrae and Mass
- LENTCAzT 2020: 44 – Holy Thursday in the Triduum: “…never let me be separated from you”
- YET ANOTHER Commission on Deaconettes (YACOD)
- 8 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Wednesday of Holy Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With homily
- LENTCAzT 2020: 43 – Spy Wednesday of Holy Week: Sometimes God borrows things from us
- ASK FATHER: Cardinal says confession and absolution over the phone is okay
- Chinese virus horror stories and Fr. Z gives advice to young people
- The grave blasphemy of Beans. Wherein Fr. Z rants and makes a constructive suggestion.
- 7 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Tuesday of Holy Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With homily
- LENTCAzT 2020: 42 – Tuesday of Holy Week: Inner Cross, Outer Cross
- TE DEUM! Card. Pell is a FREE MAN! Australia’s High Court unanimously OVERTURNED his conviction.
- A prayer for a miracle: the sudden, complete and lasting obliteration of COVID-19.
- 6 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday of Holy Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With homily
- LENTCAzT 2020: 41 – Monday of Holy Week: The Crucifix is a simple meditation manual
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Palm Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 40 – Palm Sunday: This will be a truly mysterious Holy Week
- Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL! A spiffy message in Latin!
- ASK FATHER: The Sacred Triduum in the Extraordinary Form privately, without people.
- Fr. Z’s Gold Star For The Day: Dr. Peter Kwasniewski
- The Church’s highest confessor, Card. Piacenza, says that, in this time of COVID-19, there must not be “ecclesial distancing”
- 4 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- @TuamArchdiocese in Ireland – Muslim Friday prayer in church alongside the priest – VIDEO AUDIO
- LENTCAzT 2020: 39 – Saturday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Martyrdom
- @BoiseBishop goes to the liturgical zoo. Attempts to forbid “ad orientem” worship, kneeling for Communion, etc.
- ASK FATHER: Ritual “solita oscula” in the time of coronavirus
- Friday after 1st Passion Sunday: Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows and the “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- WDTPRS: Collect of the new Mass “In time of pandemic” v. Collect of traditional Mass, “In time of pestilence”. Wherein Fr. Z rants
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: ad orientem
@BoiseBishop goes to the liturgical zoo. Attempts to forbid “ad orientem” worship, kneeling for Communion, etc.
I am at a point where I can react now, in a measured way, to the astonishing chutzpah of Bp. Peter Christensen of the Diocese of Boise since 2014. Some time back he told priests of that diocese that they … Continue reading →
“[A] common turning to the east during the Eucharistic Prayer remains essential. This is not a case of something accidental, but of what is essential. Looking at the priest has no importance. What matters is looking together at the Lord. … Continue reading →
Yesterday, I commented on the smarmy piece at Fishwrap against ad orientem worship and against Bp. Morlino and Bp. Wall. “An another thing!”, as the saying goes. Consider this. If your life is centered on Christ, you would more than likely … Continue reading →
Each day I get up, and after prayers, say within myself, “What fresh and stupid hell awaits me today?” The Fishwrap often answers that question, as it did this morning. Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) has targeted Bp. James Wall … Continue reading →
I don’t know about you, but I needed some good news. Here’s some good news. His Excellency Most Rev. James S. Wall, Bishop of Gallup, on 22 July, Feast of St. Mary Magdalene, issued a letter to the people of … Continue reading →
The rubrics of the Novus Ordo Missale Romanum and the tradition of many centuries have the priest at the altar facing liturgical East. That is to say, as he celebrates Holy Mass with a congregation present, there are moments when … Continue reading →
From an old friend of mine in my native place, Fr Tom Dufner, a great priest. We’ve been doing ad orientem at daily Mass on and off for a few months. We’ve put several articles in the bulletin to prepare the … Continue reading →
The other day I visited the chapel of an important Marian apparition. There were many pilgrims including groups of young people. A worker nun breezily made a sort of bow to the Blessed Sacrament as she passed before the tabernacle. … Continue reading →
At The Catholic Thing, Anthony Esolen has again posted a clear-eyed piece about effeminacy in the Church. Here’s a foray into his piece: Vesting in Lavender Do you remember a time, readers, when you could spend a whole day, actually … Continue reading →
Not long ago, Robert Card. Sarah penned a preface for a recent book (HERE) about Communion in the hand. The Cardinal Prefect of the CDW argues that various forces and practices have diminished faith in the Eucharist. Some of those … Continue reading →
From a reader… Dear Father, I been trying to find and answer to a question about Ad Orientem worship facing west. Is it licit? Can churches hampered by modern architecture still worship Ad Orientem? Thanks in advance. From the earliest days, and … Continue reading →
You long time readers might remember that I posted photos of a “table” altar being hauled by some men out of a church and over the the rectory. That was in 2013. Five years ago. That’s when St. Mary’s in … Continue reading →
This afternoon there is to be a Solemn Mass at the beautiful and massive St. Stanislaus Kostka Church in Chicago (NB: at the time of this writing, their website comes up with music… grrrr). They are celebrating their 150th year. They … Continue reading →
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hello Father. I recently asked my Pastor if he would ever celebrate the Ordinary Form of the Mass ad orientem. He replied that a dispensation is required from our Bishop. I’ve never heard such a thing. Could this be … Continue reading →
A while back I posted about the first TLM celebrated in decades at a famous North Side Chicago Church, St. Stanislaw Kostka. HERE Now I’ve received additional good news about that same church. They will have ad orientem worship beginning in … Continue reading →