Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
There are a LOT of discounts right now. Remember me when shopping. Just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. Kelly: Congratula tions. I’m one of those who came to the blog through your Wanderer column. I found those articles to be such a help in prayer that I wanted to learn more about the mind...
- Irish Timothy: Congratula tions and thank you for this blog and all you do for us Father Z!
- robtbrown: Reg says, Yes, homosexual ity is from nature. As are two headed calves, cancer, hemophilia , any number of maladies and events that are not good for the individual or our species. I am...
- Lurker 59: This blog has been a font of water in the deserts of life that I have passed through. It is a refreshmen t for a parched soul.
- Benedict Joseph: Experts exactly in what? The Gospel or rectal intimacy? The German episcopate appears to have the most contrary interests. What is their motivation ?
- Tamara T.: Happy Birthday!! A very big thank you to you Father, for your tireless efforts to keep us informed. You have helped me tremendous ly. Tammy
- DebbieInCT: YAY!!!! And what a tremendous blessing your blog has been for me in my conversion and continuing formation. Celebratin g Our Lady’ ;s Feast and God’ s awesome providence with...
- grateful: Another beautiful tribute to Our Lady https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=14LcvpXm b74
- Ms. M-S: A happy anniversar y indeed! Just recalling the words in your podcast about guardian angels seeding their anonymous suggestion s in our thoughts and leaving us to bring the work to fruit...
- Clinton R.: Thank you for this beautiful reflection on Our Lady, Father. May the Virgin Mary pray for all of us, and especially the priests of the Church, who are always under attack from the...
- Leonius: Bishop Sheen did not use the word homosexual he used the correct word which is sodomite.
- Leonius: Feminism wants women fat, depressed, angry and weak. If a woman actually takes ownership for her physical fitness and starts to work out she will gain confidence and happiness, cease...
- JabbaPapa: The argument of “hom osexual activities are observable in brute beasts, therefore they are natural 221; is specious rubbish. First, it falsely supposes that deviations from the...
- Rev. Paul L. Vasquez: These vestments are truly lovely. Requiescan t in pace.
- iPadre: My response to people who ask me similar questions is is does it really matter to you. In the Middle Ages they know there was a Pope, they didn’ ;t hear from him much. What we all need...
- Matthew: Just the definition of the word normal (even in German) shows that it is a perversion . The German bishops don’ t want to lose that sweet tax money they get by ignoring the Church&...
- rcg: Yes, homosexual ity is from nature. As are two headed calves, cancer, hemophilia , any number of maladies and events that are not good for the individual or our species. I am sure that low-s...
- JesusFreak84: For my part, I’ve found the idea of “Ben evanctism& #8221; insulting to the very man the proponents thereof claim to support. If one insists that Benedict resigned under...
- youngcatholicgirl: Thank you, Father. Like Ms. M-S, I don’ t always get the chance to comment, but I’ve listened faithfully while doing the supper dishes all week.
- crjs1: Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI has repeatedly stated his loyalty to Pope Francis, including calling on the latest batch of Cardinals to be obedient to Pope Francis. It’s exacerbati ng that there...
- tho: To paraphrase Aristotle, everything in nature has a purpose. What is the ultimate purpose of sodomy? In a marriage the way is open for a child, even in the sin of fornicatio n life may spring...
- Fr_Sotelo: Here’ ;s an example of a useful question: whether unbaptized babies that die in utero or after birth can have the hope of salvation? Here’ ;s an example of a useless questi...
- Cy: He can be mistaken. He need not be a liar.
- LeeGilbert: “Ger man bishops discussed this with experts. 8221; This is not at all re-assurin g. Here in the States the “exp erts” ; have cost us billions of dollars, particu...
- GypsyMom: One of the hardest things about this whole crisis is how orthodox Catholics are turning on each other through the confusion. Labels such as “cra zy,” and “sch ismatic...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Happy 14th Birthday, Blog!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 08: “How beautiful thou art, O Lady”
- More homosexualist rubbish from – wait for it! – German bishops!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 07: “O Come Redeemer of the Earth”
- ASK FATHER: Do I sin if I think that Benedict XVI on purpose didn’t resign the papacy?
- Reflections on the symbolism of the altar rail or Communion rail and some practical suggestions
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 06: “Jesus thirsts for us to thirst for Him.”
- Stepping on the Third Gear
- Newly Received! Challenge Coin – Coloring Books – Bibles – 2020 Ordo
- ASK FATHER: Are vestments made of materials other than silk tolerated for Mass in the Extraordinary Form?
- APR [Abortion Pill Reversal] 1,000 babies saved since 2012
- Sending snail-mail 2019 Christmas cards
- Solemn Requiem Mass for the late Bp. Robert C. Morlino, prayers also for Bp. Paul Sirba – VIDEO/AUDIO sermon
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 05: Angelic suggestions or our own thoughts?
- MADISON – 4 Dec – 6:30PM – Solemn Requiem Mass for Bp. Robert C. Morlino
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 04: When liturgical participation became “doing”
- Fulton Sheen’s Beatification put on hold at the request of “some bishops”.
- ACTION ITEM! #GivingTuesday suggestions from @FatherZ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 03: “Make straight the path”
- New gear from Rome: Vimpae and BUCKLES!
- D. Grand Rapids – Priest denies Communion to Lesbian judge married to a woman. He’s now under attack.
- VIDEO: Transit of Mercury
- VIDEO: Bp. Hying of @MadisonDiocese – “Let Advent Be Advent”
- Two good commentaries today on the works of @JamesMartinSJ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 02: When a friend harms you, it hurts all the more.
- PRAYER REQUEST: Bp. Paul Sirba, R.I.P.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Sunday of Advent 2019
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 01: “If we love Him, He will come to us”
- Strange business this: a non-blessing blessing. A Fr. Z mini-rant to priests.
- Advent is here again. ACTION ITEM!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: cardinals
At the English site of Vatican Radio we find the names of the soon-to-be Cardinals. There is something rather odd in the list. (Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Sunday announced a consistory for the creation of new Cardinals. He made … Continue reading
Declaration of Council of 9 Cardinals: “adhesion and loyalty to the figure of the Pope and to his Magisterium”
This is from the Bolletino: Declaration of the Council of Cardinals, 13.02.2017 The Council of Cardinals began its eighteenth session today. At the beginning, Cardinal Oscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga, coordinator of the group, after greeting the Holy Father, thanked him … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters looks into the issue of the excommunication incurred by a cardinal elector who “canvasses” for votes in the context of a papal conclave. HERE I won’t, here, get into Dr. Peter’s proposal that automatic (late sententiae) excommunication should … Continue reading
A reader asked about “Ray”. “Ray” is every Cardinal (the member of the finch family) who has occasionally appeared on these electronic pages. Since I moved from the Sabine Farm to the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue, I have not … Continue reading
Today the Holy Father named new Cardinals, including: The Pontiff made the announcement during his Angelus address in St Peter’s Square this morning. The Pope named 15 other voting cardinals: – Archbishop Pietro Parolin, Vatican Secretary of State; – Archbishop … Continue reading
Pope Francis says something like: “We need a deeper theology of women.” What liberals hear: “The Pope is going to name women cardinals!” That Francis might create females cardinals is patently absurd. The cartoon, by the way, is from this … Continue reading
More symptoms of The Francis Effect™. Now that we have the most wonderfullest and fluffiest Pope ehvur, people’s true colors seem to be emerging. It is as if they are rushing to prove the old adage: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses. … Continue reading
Over here I posted about the new G8 that Pope Francis will call together in October. They are supposedly to help with alterations to the constitution called Pastor bonus, that governs the Roman Curia. We all agree that reform of … Continue reading
I no longer have the big and varied feeders that I once did at The Sabine Farm, but I do have a small feeder on the window here at the Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue. As result I don’t have … Continue reading
It was once customary for bishops to sport after their names the “D.D.” of the “Doctor of Divinity” degree. Whenever I see that designation I think of a limerick I learned from the late Msgr. Richard Schuler… There once was … Continue reading
You may have heard, but the Pope created a few more Cardinals today, 22 to be exact, though several are over 80 years of age and therefore cannot enter or vote in a conclave. Each cardinal is assigned a church … Continue reading
I have received several queries about what would happen if, before the upcoming consistory and the “creation” of the new cardinals, the Holy Father were to – quod Deus avertat – die. Would the men whose names were already announced … Continue reading
My old mentor Msgr. Schuler used to ask the unwary: “What’s the difference between a priest and a monsignor? … None. But often the monsignor doesn’t know it.” To be made a cardinal of Holy Church brings with the office … Continue reading
Here are a few screenshots from the live Z-CAM which I have running again. I still have some technical problems, but it is running. I have chaplets of the Rosary in Latin, prayers for the Pope, and other prayers. And … Continue reading
A couple of WDTPRS’s favorite Cardinals will soon be taking possession of their cardinalatial titles in Rome: Sabato 5 febbraio 2011, alle ore 18.30, l’Em.mo Cardinale Raymond Leo Burke, Prefetto del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica, prenderà possesso della Diaconia … Continue reading