SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
PLEASE donate using VENMO!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LIVE VIDEO – 14 May 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Requiem
- 14 May: Sts. Victor and Corona, martyrs. (How to get her statue.)
- Daily Rome Shot 157
- 13 May 609: Dedication of the Roman Pantheon, “Santa Maria ad martyres”. An account of Boniface IV’s exorcism of the temple and the screaming of the demons.
- “Our ordinary world, the one in which we work and fall in love and watch TV—it’s thinner than paper, and the demons pour through it in hordes.”
- BOOK RECEIVED: Card. Pell’s – Prison Journal, Volume 2: The State Court Rejects the Appeal
- “Gregorian Mass” match ups: available priests with people who have requests
- Sign of the Times #8470
- Daily Rome Shot 156
- “Quam pulchri super montes pedes adnuntiantis et praedicantis” – Ascension Thursday and Lordly Feet
- ASK FATHER: Is Mass valid if it is offered in a desecrated place? Wherein @fatherz rants.
- ASK FATHER: “Can a priest say the Latin Mass if he doesn’t know Latin formally?”
- The Lord’s Ascension, Beans, and You
- REMINDER: Ascension THURSDAY – usually Holy Day of Obligation
- LIVE VIDEO – 12 May 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Vigil of the Ascension
- Daily Rome Shot 155
- ASK FATHER: LESSONS IN CLERICALISM – How to wear the cassock.
- ASK FATHER: What should I do with an old, now unused pyx once intended for Communion calls?
- LIVE VIDEO – 11 May 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Philip & James, Apostles
- ASK FATHER: Asperges before Low Mass?
- Daily Rome Shot 154
- There’s a first time for everything.
- ASK FATHER: Can priests refuse to hear confessions face to face?
- Daily Rome Shot 153
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – 9 May ’21
- ASK FATHER: Holding hands and then raising them up during the Traditional Latin Mass
- Your Sunday Sermon notes – 5th Sunday after Easter (N.O. 6th of Easter) 2021
- Daily Rome Shot 152
- ASK FATHER: I forgot to confess a detail about a mortal sin. Do I have to re-confess everything?
- LIVE VIDEO – 8 May 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – B.V.M. Mediatrix of all graces
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: hosts
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently discovered that the priests at a chapel I had been attending have been using bread made of flour from a variety of grains, so it’s clearly invalid. The chapel is run by religious order … Read More
In the past (HERE) I have mentioned a source for incense and altar breads, hosts: Agnus Dei I received a note (my emphasis). We have considerable stock imported of both the communion breads and incense. Increased the incense varieties and have … Read More
Fathers (and others), if you are looking for a source for both hosts and incense, here is a good possibility .You would be doing a large family a good turn. They have 15 children from 19 to 1. They homeschool and … Read More
Did you see this? I want you to get your heads into a mental place where, in an economic collapse or some other kind of catastrophic situation, wheat flour and wine are scarce. Sometimes when I write in a dystopian … Read More
From a reader: This past Sunday, September 16, 2012, I attended mass celebrated by an elderly priest. Present on the altar was a covered ciborium. At the time father consecrated the large host the ciborium remained covered, father uncovered the … Read More
Being from the upper midwest, I have seen the devastation of the crops this year. In many places there are total losses. From CNA: Greenville, R.I., Aug 26, 2012 / 01:09 pm (CNA).- Manufacturers of altar bread are preparing to … Read More
Holy Church’s Canon Law closely follows Holy Church’s infallible teaching when it comes to discipline of the sacraments. The Church’s doctrine holds that valid matter for the Eucharist is a form of bread made from wheat. In the Latin Church … Read More
From a reader: This morning I attended a Mass that was celebrated by a VERY old priest; just a simple daily Mass, nothing fancy, no smells or bells. When it came time for the prayers of consecration, it seemed as if … Read More
From a reader: Just a quick question: are there any congregations of religious women in the United States that still bake altar bread? I know many communities will sell altar bread from a large manufacturer, but not sure of any … Read More
From a reader: This morning we got the double whammy. After subjecting us to the “We are the Eucharist” homily, the priest, after moving the Hosts from one ciborium to another, brushed his hands off over the floor (carpeted.) Is … Read More
From a reader: At the Holy Thursday night mass, there were more hosts than would easily fit into the three ciboria. The deacon held the tops down and gave each one a vigorous shake. When this didn’t quite do it … Read More
I have written about hosts and wheat and celiac (here and here, etc.). For the consecration to be valid, the hosts must be made from wheat flour. Not wheat… not valid. This comes from e! Science News with my emphases … Read More
Over at southern orders I spotted an interesting post which reminded me of the famous Communion in the hand fragments posting here. My emphases and comments: Do you see the large fragment to the left of the large un-consecrated host–that’s … Read More