A prayer for a miracle: the sudden, complete and lasting obliteration of COVID-19
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Joy1985: bobbortoli n That is probably due to skyrocketi ng insurance premiums
- bobbortolin: Sorry about that, “I think they’ ;re awful “
- bobbortolin: My parish as push-butto n, electric votive candles. Personally , I think there awful.
- Joy1985: “Fer retti says: 25 May 2020 at 3:12 PM Votive candles for spiritual intercessi on and grilling steaks and hot dogs. There’s a difference . Napalm? 221; Well what is worse light...
- Fr PJM: A look at the Ordinary of the Mass shows that there is no “exi t antiphon 8221; to which would correspond a replacing hymn or song. So when the priest or deacon says “go in...
- Moro: Honestly, while I am no theologian or canonist, I have to think just having the parents doing the baptism themselves at home would have been an incredible improvemen t. Depending upon the...
- tho: Experienci ng what we once had, and seeing what we have now, is very depressing . Our hierarchy reminds me of the Democrats, telling us that socialism is a viable form of government , in spite...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Yeah, the stupid is already there when it comes to baptisms. We have been inured to stupidity for a good many years. For example, years ago, at the wreckovate d cathed...
- Reflector: Missae coram sanctissim o were indeed common in Austria on “ado ration days” ;, even in the 1970ies in the novus ordo, where a high Mass was sung in the vernacular versus...
- Ferretti: Votive candles for spiritual intercessi on and grilling steaks and hot dogs. There̵ 7;s a difference . Napalm?
- dallenl: Father MartinR 17;s problem is quite comparable to a number of others in this type of situation. They are commenting on matters outside their competence . An example that comes to mind...
- ChrisP: It does seem that God allowed this virus lockdown to show us how bad things have got WORLDWIDE. Idiots and pantomime everywhere , covered by less than scrupulous and caring leaders. And...
- Joy1985: ” when people started lighting candles in church with barbeque lighters 8221; Pardon me but what is wrong with that?
- Andrew Saucci: This sort of stuff should have been nipped in the bud when people started lighting candles in church with barbeque lighters, but since we didn’ ;t condemn it forcefully enough...
- capchoirgirl: Ooooh! I am very much intrigued by the Contraptio n! Also seems like a good thing for smaller kitchens 8230;.I 217;m going to have to check this out.
- MargaretC: Thank you, Father, for answering this question. My own diocese has resumed public masses under very controlled conditions , but our Archbishop has continued the dispensati on from the...
- Elizabeth D: At my parish they have been doing night prayer for parishione rs, via Zoom. I do not have a cellphone/ camera, do not like videoconfe rencing or even conference calling and I do not do...
- Imrahil: Dear Alice, I think theologian s disagree on how much of the Mass one has to attend to fulfill the obligation . They don’ t, strictly speaking. The obligation , as such, is from...
- Joy1985: “The re is no good reason to FOOL AROUND WITH SACRAMENTS !” Exactly Father. Never ever should play around with the Sacraments .
- seattle_cdn: At that distance he could have baptized by aspersio and it would not have raised questions then?
- Kathleen10: God bless baby, and parents. But honestly, this being proposed to parents, how could they approve it? “I 8217;m going to use a water pistol, and aim it at your baby...
- Alice: I think theologian s disagree on how much of the Mass one has to attend to fulfill the obligation . My parents used religion texts that were printed before 1958 for us and I am fairly...
- TomS: Thanks Semper. God Bless! Tom
- Mariana2: Looks wonderful, a thingie you can leave to stir risotto on its own! I’d really like to see page 18 of that booklet. No Tridentine Masses here.
- TonyO: Thank you, Fr. Z. Very clear and practical. To Fr. PJM: Is it possible that the EF and the OF differ in respect of what portion of Mass satisfies for their having been “at Mass...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ASK FATHER: Mass at a side altar during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament? And a short rant.
- 25 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Gregory VII – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- How stupid are things getting in this time of Coronavirus, you ask?
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The Contraption
- Your Sunday after Ascension 2020 Sermon Notes and the Exorcism against Satan and Apostate Angels
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention?
- ACTION ITEM: A tip for receiving Communion on the tongue in time of COVID-1984: HOLD YOUR BREATH!
- Fearmongering @JamesMartinSJ goes to the zoo on national TV about churches reopening and about @RealDonaldTrump
- UPDATE: BAPTISMAL FONT PROJECT – INSTALLATION! Video message to YOU READERS!
- ASK FATHER: What is physically required for the laity to participate at Mass?
- 23 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Giovanni Battista de Rossi – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: Can you fulfill your Sunday Mass obligation during “lockdown” by watching online?
- 22 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Rita of Cascia – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Terrific rant!
- Your Ascension Thursday 2020 Sermon Notes
- Church that refused to close during lock down gets burned down
- Fr. Z with thanks to benefactors and a reminder
- COVID-1984, Your iPhone, and You
- 21 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) for Ascension Thursday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Forty, a poem, and ancient garlic cheese spread
- CELEBRATE! 26th Anniversary of “Ordinatio sacerdotalis”!
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Confuse a liberal
- 20 May – St. “Golden Girl”, Aurea of Ostia and a fascinating Latin inscription
- 20 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) for Rogation Wednesday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: “Why aren’t Masses restarted without Holy Communion?”
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Supper For The Promotion of Clericalism™ – Beef!
- 19 May – HOLY MASS (TLM) St. Peter Celestine – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A new marching cadence in the time of Coronavirus. (Fun.)
- 100th Birthday of St. John Paul II. Wherein Fr. Z muses and reminisces.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Liturgy of the Hours
Under another post this comment appeared: I ask Fr. Z if a discussion of the old breviary and the LOTH is a rabbit hole. If so, I ask him to post about a comparison between the old and the LOTH … Continue reading
From a seminarian… QUAERITUR: I am a seminarian for ___, and I have been looking for a 4 Vol. Latin Breviary [Liturgia Horarum] … I emailed the Libreria Editrice Vaticana and received this response: Dear Mr. __, I’m sorry to inform … Continue reading
From a seminarian… QUAERITUR: I am a seminarian and I pray the EF Office faithfully. I know I have read somewhere that even when praying alone the words should actually be pronounced (however quiet) and not read as completely silent. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I know some priests who pray all the Hours of the divine office at a particular time…for example: There is this priest who went out for an important trip..he probably didn’t have any free time in … Continue reading
In a story on CNA we read that the Holy Father gave an interview to La Vanguardia. Inter alia, His Holiness said, I pray every day the divine office every day with the Psalms of David. We do the 150 … Continue reading
A worthy old priest I know wants a complete set of the post-Conciliar, German language, “breviary” or Studenbuch – for the entire Liturgy of the Hours, “Die Feier des Stundengebetes”. First, is there someone out there who has one which … Continue reading
I noticed this in the newsletter of the USCCB’s Committee for Divine Worship: Liturgy of the Hours Among the many liturgical books affected by the implementation of the Roman Missal, Third Edition, none has generated more questions or interest than … Continue reading
From a clerical reader: I was wondering about different editions of the same Liturgia Horarum; I want to get the most recent editio tipico (2000 not 1962) but which is the best edition? I found two editions online but I … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Fulfilling obligation of the Office when visiting a religious community with their own way of doing things.
From a priest: In the GILH, it is clear that a cleric meets his obligation if he finds himself praying with a community following a different calendar or from a different rite (#242). Would this also include praying the Office with a … Continue reading
Pope Benedict during his Wednesday Audience said: “I would like to renew my call to everyone to pray the Psalms, to become accustomed to using the Liturgy of the Hours, Lauds, Vespers, and Compline.” From VIS: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 … Continue reading
The Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate created an app for the 1962 Breviarium Romanum. It is now available, FREE, for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. This may be a way for some of you to get more familiar with … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. Bernardine of Siena (+1444) in both the Extraordinary and the Ordinary Forms of the Roman Rite, and therefore I use this opportunity to offer something from one of his discourses about the Most Holy … Continue reading
I had a question from a priest about Univerae Ecclesiae on the topic of recitation of the office, and a cleric’s obligation. I also had conversations with three priests yesterday during which the topic of our daily office came up. … Continue reading
From a reader: Father, I seem to be in a quandry about the liturgy. I attend a Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter Parish in Tulsa and I am an Oblate of Clear Creek monastery, which also uses the 1962 liturgies. … Continue reading
From a priest reader: I’m a priest and religious and I’ve wanted to pray the psalter in the traditional way for a long time and while clearing out our library I came across a Breviary in English from 1964, an … Continue reading