Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
There are a LOT of discounts right now. Remember me when shopping. Just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- robtbrown: Reg says, Yes, homosexual ity is from nature. As are two headed calves, cancer, hemophilia , any number of maladies and events that are not good for the individual or our species. I am...
- Lurker 59: This blog has been a font of water in the deserts of life that I have passed through. It is a refreshmen t for a parched soul.
- Benedict Joseph: Experts exactly in what? The Gospel or rectal intimacy? The German episcopate appears to have the most contrary interests. What is their motivation ?
- Tamara T.: Happy Birthday!! A very big thank you to you Father, for your tireless efforts to keep us informed. You have helped me tremendous ly. Tammy
- DebbieInCT: YAY!!!! And what a tremendous blessing your blog has been for me in my conversion and continuing formation. Celebratin g Our Lady’ ;s Feast and God’ s awesome providence with...
- grateful: Another beautiful tribute to Our Lady https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=14LcvpXm b74
- Ms. M-S: A happy anniversar y indeed! Just recalling the words in your podcast about guardian angels seeding their anonymous suggestion s in our thoughts and leaving us to bring the work to fruit...
- Clinton R.: Thank you for this beautiful reflection on Our Lady, Father. May the Virgin Mary pray for all of us, and especially the priests of the Church, who are always under attack from the...
- Leonius: Bishop Sheen did not use the word homosexual he used the correct word which is sodomite.
- Leonius: Feminism wants women fat, depressed, angry and weak. If a woman actually takes ownership for her physical fitness and starts to work out she will gain confidence and happiness, cease...
- JabbaPapa: The argument of “hom osexual activities are observable in brute beasts, therefore they are natural 221; is specious rubbish. First, it falsely supposes that deviations from the...
- Rev. Paul L. Vasquez: These vestments are truly lovely. Requiescan t in pace.
- iPadre: My response to people who ask me similar questions is is does it really matter to you. In the Middle Ages they know there was a Pope, they didn’ ;t hear from him much. What we all need...
- Matthew: Just the definition of the word normal (even in German) shows that it is a perversion . The German bishops don’ t want to lose that sweet tax money they get by ignoring the Church&...
- rcg: Yes, homosexual ity is from nature. As are two headed calves, cancer, hemophilia , any number of maladies and events that are not good for the individual or our species. I am sure that low-s...
- JesusFreak84: For my part, I’ve found the idea of “Ben evanctism& #8221; insulting to the very man the proponents thereof claim to support. If one insists that Benedict resigned under...
- youngcatholicgirl: Thank you, Father. Like Ms. M-S, I don’ t always get the chance to comment, but I’ve listened faithfully while doing the supper dishes all week.
- crjs1: Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI has repeatedly stated his loyalty to Pope Francis, including calling on the latest batch of Cardinals to be obedient to Pope Francis. It’s exacerbati ng that there...
- tho: To paraphrase Aristotle, everything in nature has a purpose. What is the ultimate purpose of sodomy? In a marriage the way is open for a child, even in the sin of fornicatio n life may spring...
- Fr_Sotelo: Here’ ;s an example of a useful question: whether unbaptized babies that die in utero or after birth can have the hope of salvation? Here’ ;s an example of a useless questi...
- Cy: He can be mistaken. He need not be a liar.
- LeeGilbert: “Ger man bishops discussed this with experts. 8221; This is not at all re-assurin g. Here in the States the “exp erts” ; have cost us billions of dollars, particu...
- GypsyMom: One of the hardest things about this whole crisis is how orthodox Catholics are turning on each other through the confusion. Labels such as “cra zy,” and “sch ismatic...
- TonyO: As to standing vs. kneeling, in our Western culture standing is our sign of respect vs. the old kneeling in the presence of feudal royalty. @ joekstl2: this is a matter of societal custom...
- Amerikaner: Scratch them and I am sure you will find homosexual s. That is why they push this agenda. It is to justify their sins
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Happy 14th Birthday, Blog!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 08: “How beautiful thou art, O Lady”
- More homosexualist rubbish from – wait for it! – German bishops!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 07: “O Come Redeemer of the Earth”
- ASK FATHER: Do I sin if I think that Benedict XVI on purpose didn’t resign the papacy?
- Reflections on the symbolism of the altar rail or Communion rail and some practical suggestions
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 06: “Jesus thirsts for us to thirst for Him.”
- Stepping on the Third Gear
- Newly Received! Challenge Coin – Coloring Books – Bibles – 2020 Ordo
- ASK FATHER: Are vestments made of materials other than silk tolerated for Mass in the Extraordinary Form?
- APR [Abortion Pill Reversal] 1,000 babies saved since 2012
- Sending snail-mail 2019 Christmas cards
- Solemn Requiem Mass for the late Bp. Robert C. Morlino, prayers also for Bp. Paul Sirba – VIDEO/AUDIO sermon
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 05: Angelic suggestions or our own thoughts?
- MADISON – 4 Dec – 6:30PM – Solemn Requiem Mass for Bp. Robert C. Morlino
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 04: When liturgical participation became “doing”
- Fulton Sheen’s Beatification put on hold at the request of “some bishops”.
- ACTION ITEM! #GivingTuesday suggestions from @FatherZ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 03: “Make straight the path”
- New gear from Rome: Vimpae and BUCKLES!
- D. Grand Rapids – Priest denies Communion to Lesbian judge married to a woman. He’s now under attack.
- VIDEO: Transit of Mercury
- VIDEO: Bp. Hying of @MadisonDiocese – “Let Advent Be Advent”
- Two good commentaries today on the works of @JamesMartinSJ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 02: When a friend harms you, it hurts all the more.
- PRAYER REQUEST: Bp. Paul Sirba, R.I.P.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Sunday of Advent 2019
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 01: “If we love Him, He will come to us”
- Strange business this: a non-blessing blessing. A Fr. Z mini-rant to priests.
- Advent is here again. ACTION ITEM!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: can. 249
We’ll explore this time the Latin of the Last Rites in the Traditional form. There is enough evidence that Latin is more effective in our Rite than the vernacular, that the use of Latin, often, is warranted. It would be … Continue reading
How many times in these electronic pages have I lamented the blatant disobedience in regard to can. 249? I remind the readership, especially those readers who are diocesan bishops, that the Code of Canon Law, can. 249, requires – it doesn’t … Continue reading
From a seminarian… QUAERITUR: I am a seminarian for ___, and I have been looking for a 4 Vol. Latin Breviary [Liturgia Horarum] … I emailed the Libreria Editrice Vaticana and received this response: Dear Mr. __, I’m sorry to inform … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My Latin is not great will an ordinary form mass I celebrate in Latin be valid? Sure, Father, it would be valid. Language is a tricky thing. There are almost always gaps in our comprehension of … Continue reading
The ancient Romans really knew how to build. They built the Roman Rite, after all. The Roman Rite is a foundation of the West. The Roman Rite reflects the Roman “Thing”, its genius. The Roman genius is to be concrete, … Continue reading
If you are a priest who has been hassled by your bishop about saying the traditional Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum, pay attention. Help has arrived. Recently a priest of my acquaintance sent two questions to my old haunts the … Continue reading
Fr. John Hunwicke, priest, gentleman and Latinist, has a spiffing post at his blog Mutual Enrichment (which title is a reference to Summorum Pontificum). He writes about Latin. Here is a taste of the first part with my oft-imitated emphases and comments: Since … Continue reading
I received word via email… the Traditional Latin Mass has “returned” to St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia. This is an exceptionally good development. They should should have it every week, at least. Here are a few snaps from their … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Since His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has allowed the Latin mass to be celebrated by Priest without special per mission, many younger Priest and young Catholics have been celebrating the Latin mass more often. Do you … Continue reading
Many are the times that I have lamented the nearly complete disobedience to the Code of Canon Law and the expressed will of modern Roman Pontiffs about the Latin language. For example, the 1983 Code of Canon Law, can. 249, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can a bishop in a diocese forbid seminarians from attending the extraordinary form of the Mass? This is happening in the ___ diocese. My friend who just entered this seminary informed me of this when I … Continue reading
At the blog of The Chairman of the LMS there is great news. For a while I lamented that the Congregation for Catholic Education’s 1990 Instruction on the Study of the Fathers of the Church in the Formation of Priests … Continue reading
REVIEW: St. Thomas Aquinas – Commentaries on St. Paul in Latin and English (not to mention the Summa Theologiae)
The 1983 Code of Canon Law doesn’t mention many saints apart from their feast days. As you can imagine, the greats such as the Mary the Mother of God, Sts. Peter and Paul, St. Joseph, come up. Apart from them, … Continue reading
You will all be pleased to know that the Holy Father’s Motu Proprio establishing the Pontifical Academy for Latin. The name of the Motu Proprio is, amazingly enough, Latina lingua! No! Really! The new Academy will be under the aegis … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If a priest cannot say Mass in the Extraordinary Form, is he properly trained? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
From a reader: At ordination, the rector of the seminary is asked if the candidate is fully prepared for priestly duties. If a priest cannot say Mass in the E F, should that be considered not being prepared to assume … Continue reading