Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
There are a LOT of discounts right now. Remember me when shopping. Just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Matthew: Just the definition of the word normal (even in German) shows that it is a perversion . The German bishops don’ t want to lose that sweet tax money they get by ignoring the Church&...
- rcg: Yes, homosexual ity is from nature. As are two headed calves, cancer, hemophilia , any number of maladies and events that are not good for the individual or our species. I am sure that low-s...
- youngcatholicgirl: Thank you, Father. Like Ms. M-S, I don’ t always get the chance to comment, but I’ve listened faithfully while doing the supper dishes all week.
- tho: To paraphrase Aristotle, everything in nature has a purpose. What is the ultimate purpose of sodomy? In a marriage the way is open for a child, even in the sin of fornicatio n life may spring...
- LeeGilbert: “Ger man bishops discussed this with experts. 8221; This is not at all re-assurin g. Here in the States the “exp erts” ; have cost us billions of dollars, particu...
- GypsyMom: One of the hardest things about this whole crisis is how orthodox Catholics are turning on each other through the confusion. Labels such as “cra zy,” and “sch ismatic...
- TonyO: As to standing vs. kneeling, in our Western culture standing is our sign of respect vs. the old kneeling in the presence of feudal royalty. @ joekstl2: this is a matter of societal custom...
- Amerikaner: Scratch them and I am sure you will find homosexual s. That is why they push this agenda. It is to justify their sins
- joekstl2: To Subarbanba nshee: I understand your comment on priests’ anointed hands vs lay peoples’. But your tongue is not anointed either. [Oh, brother!] I assume you are not against lay people...
- Fr. Aaron Sandbothe: Mysticalro se, In the Eastern and Oriental Catholic Churches we have had patriarchs retire who then lived the remainder of their lives as Patriarch Emeritus. They retain their...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: “. . . they are discussing this in the same way that Dems discussed impeachmen t the day after the 2016 election.& #8221; Oh, come, come, Father. Surely we can be...
- Charles E Flynn: The painting is “The Destructio n Of Sodom And Gomorrah 8221;, by John Martin (1789-1854 ).
- Ryan: Minor point of clarity. I dread the idea of even potential sacrilege which communion in the hand presents to the laity. The question was directed toward the Apostles at the last super.
- John: You [If you are addressing yourself to ME, Fr. Z, say so.] are criticizin g motives. [No. I am pointing out the pitfalls.] In my own case and others, I am unaware of anything amiss. [Othe...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I think we have to ask ourselves a couple of questions: – Is Christ active or not in the process of transferri ng the Petrine office? Can He be stymied by the sins of...
- chantgirl: God forgive me, but Francis seems to be a moment of supreme temptation for the whole Church. To those weak in faith, Francis gives reasons to doubt. To those weak in virtue, Francis...
- monstrance: How long before the German state would force these views upon the Church anyways ? And the rest of Europe for that matter. If they’re throwing in towel now, there will be nothing left...
- bobbird: Aegidius: We have have the same here: The Wanderer v. Nat’ l Catholic Reporter [Fr. Z calls it “Fis hwrap̶ 1;. I call it the “Ant i-Catholic Distorter& #8221;]. I am...
- Aegidius: The link leads to „katholisc h.de“, better known as „häretisch .de“ among believing catholics in Germany (yes, there are still some of us around!). Häretisch. de is the inofficial inter...
- Kerry: In a letter from Evelyn Waugh to Lady Daphne Action, in Waugh̵ 7;s book, A Bitter Trial, he wrote: ” I think it a great cheek of the Germans to try and teach the rest of the world...
- acardnal: Interestin g. LifeSiteNe ws just posted a video of Venerable Bishop Sheen discussing “fal se compassion ” shown to homosexual s, et al. Seems an appropriat e response to the...
- Cincinnati Priest 2: joekstl2 : I’m not sure if this is a hoax or not, but in case not, your comment is a striking compilatio n of cliches promulgate d in the 1980s by Notre Dame liturg...
- Suburbanbanshee: Joekstl2 – The priest has his hands consecrate d to touch the consecrate d Host, and the rest of us don’ t. So spirituall y, yes, we have “gru bby hands̶ 1;...
- Father George David Byers: Question on how it’s done. Anecdotal. It was 1963 that I would start walking up in the Communion line in St Mary’ ;s Cathedral in central Minnesota – at...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Kelly: Well said. As others are doing, time to pull a Bishop Sheen book off the bookshelf. Maybe buy a couple more for parish and public libraries or for the waiting room at the...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- More homosexualist rubbish from – wait for it! – German bishops!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 07: “O Come Redeemer of the Earth”
- ASK FATHER: Do I sin if I think that Benedict XVI on purpose didn’t resign the papacy?
- Reflections on the symbolism of the altar rail or Communion rail and some practical suggestions
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 06: “Jesus thirsts for us to thirst for Him.”
- Stepping on the Third Gear
- Newly Received! Challenge Coin – Coloring Books – Bibles – 2020 Ordo
- ASK FATHER: Are vestments made of materials other than silk tolerated for Mass in the Extraordinary Form?
- APR [Abortion Pill Reversal] 1,000 babies saved since 2012
- Sending snail-mail 2019 Christmas cards
- Solemn Requiem Mass for the late Bp. Robert C. Morlino, prayers also for Bp. Paul Sirba – VIDEO/AUDIO sermon
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 05: Angelic suggestions or our own thoughts?
- MADISON – 4 Dec – 6:30PM – Solemn Requiem Mass for Bp. Robert C. Morlino
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 04: When liturgical participation became “doing”
- Fulton Sheen’s Beatification put on hold at the request of “some bishops”.
- ACTION ITEM! #GivingTuesday suggestions from @FatherZ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 03: “Make straight the path”
- New gear from Rome: Vimpae and BUCKLES!
- D. Grand Rapids – Priest denies Communion to Lesbian judge married to a woman. He’s now under attack.
- VIDEO: Transit of Mercury
- VIDEO: Bp. Hying of @MadisonDiocese – “Let Advent Be Advent”
- Two good commentaries today on the works of @JamesMartinSJ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 02: When a friend harms you, it hurts all the more.
- PRAYER REQUEST: Bp. Paul Sirba, R.I.P.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Sunday of Advent 2019
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 01: “If we love Him, He will come to us”
- Strange business this: a non-blessing blessing. A Fr. Z mini-rant to priests.
- Advent is here again. ACTION ITEM!
- Jesuits and Drag Queens. Tautology?
- 30 Nov 1969 – 50th Anniversary of imposition of the Novus Ordo – PODCAzTs Revisited
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: martyrs
In 1794, the Place de la Nation on the east side of Paris was called the Place du Trône-Renversé… Toppled Throne Square. In 1792 a guillotine was set up here and the killing began. Robespierre and Barère made terror an … Continue reading
Ex ore infantium… perfecisti laudem. Some scholars of Late Antiquity are skeptical about or even scoff at the ancient tales about Christian children who refused to renounce Christ even in the face of terrible pain and fear. Even in our … Continue reading
The members of the Religion of Peace like to try to kill innocent people on anniversaries, it seems. Today, the Canadian Parliament was attacked. HERE I suspect they weren’t Quebec separatists. Today is the Feast of St. John Paul II. … Continue reading
From the Quran: “The punishment of anyone who fights against Allah and His apostle and do mischief in the land is to be killed or crucified or to have their hands and feet from opposite ends or be banished from … Continue reading
I have been spot reading in John Allen’s new book, The Global War on Christians: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Anti-Christian Persecution. Along the same line, I saw this at CNS: Sen. Paul: ‘Worldwide War on Christians is Being Waged … Continue reading
Today, in his fervorino at Mass, Pope Francis again mentioned the Enemy of your soul, the Devil. He talks about the Devil frequently when speaking off the cuff. From the site of Vatican Radio with my emphases and comments: The Pope … Continue reading
Have you seen this? From CNA: Madrid, Spain, Oct 19, 2012 / 10:40 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A group of young people shouting, “Where are the priests? We’re going to burn them at the stake,” attacked the Mary Help of Christians … Continue reading
Today, 22 October, is the feast of the glorious martyrs Sts. Nunilo and Alodia! Nunilo and Alodia were 9th c. virgin martyrs in Huesca, Spain. They were born to a Muslim father and Christian mother. They chose their mother’s Christianity. … Continue reading
While we concern ourselves with the monumental question of blessings during Communion (which, yes, it is wrong to do though it is not a matter of maximum weight in our scales of liturgical abuses), this is what is going on … Continue reading
From CWN: Gunmen kill 4 Nigerian Christians Gunmen on the outskirts of Potiskum, a northeastern Nigerian city of 200,000, have killed four Christians who were fleeing the area in the wake of previous attacks. The Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram … Continue reading
On the site of the newspaper of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minnesota, The Catholic Spirit, there is a list of reasons why we go to Mass. It seems the Catholic Spirit have plucked this from Card. O’Malley of … Continue reading
Today in the 2005 Martyrologium Romanum there is the following entry: 11*. Ad ancoram in salo ante portum Rupifortii in Gallia, beati Antonii Constantis Auriel, presbyteri et martyris, qui, vicarius paroecialis Cadurcensis, temporibus gallicae perturbationis propter sacerdotium in squalida navi … Continue reading
You all have heard by now about the terrorist attack on the Catholic Church in Bagdad. Here is The Catholic Herald on the attack. Christians have been taking it on the chin in Iraq for a very long time. 9 … Continue reading
Via our friends at Rorate: From Corpus Christi Watershed: Award-winning filmmaker and Watershed staff member Eric Hinojosa has been living in Lebanon, working tirelessly to bring to fruition a documentary film about the Blessed Massabki Brothers, the Emir Abd El-Kader, … Continue reading