Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- BrionyB: KateD – if Wikipedia is to be trusted, Benedict’s mother would indeed have been early 40s when he (the youngest) was born. Maybe they did marry late, or for some reason had their...
- Rob83: This seems to call for respectful ly writing to the President to request either that the orders be withdrawn or that provision for the men be made on-base.
- Joy1985: Lord PLEASE help the best man win in November to guide our country for the next 4 years.
- Eugene: Correction .. meant to write Kenora NOT Kendra
- Mariana2: Why were oranges tossed?
- APX: This is painfully too true.
- samwise: Mt 13:57 “and they took offense at him”
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- UPDATE on FEEDBACK: How has the COVID-1984 lockdown changed you LITURGICALLY? Priests and laity.
- ACTION ITEM! URGENT PRAYER SUGGESTION! Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- Sadly amusing sign of the times
- 3 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Irenaeus – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- ASK FATHER: Should there still be “parking lot Masses” even though churches are opening again?
- ASK FATHER: Signing a contract, like for a credit card, but with 35 pages of small print.
- 2 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Visitation of the BVM – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and St. Aaron and St. Junipero Serra
- The lunacy is spreading: Northern Ontario
- ASK FATHER: Should we ransom Hosts that have been taken so they are not desecrated? At what cost?
- R.I.P. Msgr Georg Ratzinger
- 1 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Most Precious Blood – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Fishwrap’s case of the vapors over a annual, rural gun show hosted in an unused Catholic school
- 30 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Commemoration of St. Paul – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FAMILY! Three more relics have arrived. Fr. Z tells a story.
- Searching for a specific reader who sent something from my wishlist
- SCOTUS decision on Louisiana abortion clinic law.
- Your Sunday Sermon notes – 4th Sunday after Pentecost (13th Ordinary) 2020
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio: Fun with Morse
- Concerning statues
- Archbp. Cordilone recites the Exorcism where a statue of St. Junipero Serra was town down. OORAH!
- First Blessings by new priests. Indulgenced? NO! Interesting Latin texts. And Fr. Z rants.
- 27 June – Traditional Latin Mass – Our Lady of Perpetual Help – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “O Captain, my Captain!”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: martyrs
In 1794, the Place de la Nation on the east side of Paris was called the Place du Trône-Renversé… Toppled Throne Square. In 1792 a guillotine was set up here and the killing began. Robespierre and Barère made terror an … Continue reading
Ex ore infantium… perfecisti laudem. Some scholars of Late Antiquity are skeptical about or even scoff at the ancient tales about Christian children who refused to renounce Christ even in the face of terrible pain and fear. Even in our … Continue reading
The members of the Religion of Peace like to try to kill innocent people on anniversaries, it seems. Today, the Canadian Parliament was attacked. HERE I suspect they weren’t Quebec separatists. Today is the Feast of St. John Paul II. … Continue reading
From the Quran: “The punishment of anyone who fights against Allah and His apostle and do mischief in the land is to be killed or crucified or to have their hands and feet from opposite ends or be banished from … Continue reading
I have been spot reading in John Allen’s new book, The Global War on Christians: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Anti-Christian Persecution. Along the same line, I saw this at CNS: Sen. Paul: ‘Worldwide War on Christians is Being Waged … Continue reading
Today, in his fervorino at Mass, Pope Francis again mentioned the Enemy of your soul, the Devil. He talks about the Devil frequently when speaking off the cuff. From the site of Vatican Radio with my emphases and comments: The Pope … Continue reading
Have you seen this? From CNA: Madrid, Spain, Oct 19, 2012 / 10:40 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A group of young people shouting, “Where are the priests? We’re going to burn them at the stake,” attacked the Mary Help of Christians … Continue reading
Today, 22 October, is the feast of the glorious martyrs Sts. Nunilo and Alodia! Nunilo and Alodia were 9th c. virgin martyrs in Huesca, Spain. They were born to a Muslim father and Christian mother. They chose their mother’s Christianity. … Continue reading
While we concern ourselves with the monumental question of blessings during Communion (which, yes, it is wrong to do though it is not a matter of maximum weight in our scales of liturgical abuses), this is what is going on … Continue reading
From CWN: Gunmen kill 4 Nigerian Christians Gunmen on the outskirts of Potiskum, a northeastern Nigerian city of 200,000, have killed four Christians who were fleeing the area in the wake of previous attacks. The Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram … Continue reading
On the site of the newspaper of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minnesota, The Catholic Spirit, there is a list of reasons why we go to Mass. It seems the Catholic Spirit have plucked this from Card. O’Malley of … Continue reading
Today in the 2005 Martyrologium Romanum there is the following entry: 11*. Ad ancoram in salo ante portum Rupifortii in Gallia, beati Antonii Constantis Auriel, presbyteri et martyris, qui, vicarius paroecialis Cadurcensis, temporibus gallicae perturbationis propter sacerdotium in squalida navi … Continue reading
You all have heard by now about the terrorist attack on the Catholic Church in Bagdad. Here is The Catholic Herald on the attack. Christians have been taking it on the chin in Iraq for a very long time. 9 … Continue reading
Via our friends at Rorate: From Corpus Christi Watershed: Award-winning filmmaker and Watershed staff member Eric Hinojosa has been living in Lebanon, working tirelessly to bring to fruition a documentary film about the Blessed Massabki Brothers, the Emir Abd El-Kader, … Continue reading