HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- KateD: So, I read this with my children as a lesson. You do such a great job of breaking down the text. I had them read each paragraph in rotation. My eleven year old boy got the line (empha...
- Semper Gumby: Daddio: Thanks for the Troops of St. George videos.
- rtrainque: Take note of the chest-moun ted “act ion cams” ; employed by the pro-lifers here much in the same way that law enforcemen t uses bodycams. I can’ t recommend stron...
- Semper Gumby: For a few decades now there has been some sort of sly “pro gressive 8221; trend to replace Christian virtues with “dem ocratic values, 221; and Republic with “...
- Sword40: Our parish, St. JosephR 17;s in Tacoma, WA, celebrated our 107 anniversar y with a Votive Mass. The pastor forgot to announce it until we got to the Gospel. Boy were we confused for a...
- AureEntuluva: I am eagerly awaiting some photos and descriptio ns of delicious Roman food from your trip, Father. On the subject of travel: recently I’ve been on several trips away to see my sister...
- aquinasadmirer: That sounds like good advice from Octavian. I wonder if he had the melody in his time, whether he’d recommend singing it? …I 8217;m now wondering: “wha t the...
- hwriggles4: The See in Wheeling is currently vacant. I have been praying for a good bishop to be appointed here soon. Preferably someone who can relate to good country folks.
- roma247: @BrionyB and others: I agree that this is an insult at worst to our tradition and reverence, and ignorant at best. But it should be pointed out that even the Orthodox (and Eastern Cathol...
- Grant M: The collect from the Book of Common Prayer for the fourth Sunday after Easter: O ALMIGHTY God, who alone canst order the unruly wills and affections of sinful men; Grant unto thy people,...
- Andreas: I know what you mean, byzantines teve. To stem such similar urges, I try as a rule to ignore such vulgarians . Still, when I feel the need to respond in a less-than- civilized manner, I...
- Legisperitus: That prayer is so beautiful in Latin that it’s a shame it doesn̵ 7;t get to see more use in that form.
- carndt: Again, thank you for this explanatio n. It was so moving that my soul leaped for joy. How we in the pews sit waiting to hear these words from the priests. Your words are a refreshing oasis...
- BrionyB: I don’t think it’s particular ly relevant that Eastern rite churches have standing instead of kneeling. As I understand , that’s their tradition and custom (and of course there is nothing...
- KateD: *as they destroy families
- KateD: The braceos program started in 1942 to address the issue of bringing in the crops when American boys were fighting WWII. At that time the Catholic bishops were solidly against these immigr...
- Suburbanbanshee: Semper Gumby! I think you have invented a new T-shirt! Confessors : Keeping the Hell out of Your Way Since AD 33
- byzantinesteve: I assume you travel in your clerical which would be a deterrent from saying what you might *want* to say. I can tell you, however, I would not have gotten to the first letter of...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks for the Latin lesson Fr. Z, and the virtue/val ue distinctio ns made by Gertrude Himmelfarb , St. John Paul II, and Benedict XVI.
- Semper Gumby: Have a blessed stay in Rome Fr. Z. Too bad that angry passenger didn’ ;t understand that you’ re a benevolent member of the patriarchy , and that in fact your vocation is...
- bibi1003: Ellen, I’ve seen it in two different parishes in the Diocese of Louisville as well and I was shocked both times. It felt like sacrilege. I mentioned it to my brother and he said it...
- UncleBlobb: God bless you, Father Z. I can’ t conceive of the amount of virtue it takes to endure “air port world̶ 1; as I like to call it as much as you have over the years. Enjoy...
- SanSan: Have a safe flight dear Father and a wonderful time in Rome!
- John21: This helped a lot. God’s will is so specific, whether it’s willing that I say thank you to a waiter or willing that this particular trial of slime left by a snail be x inches long and wide....
- grateful: Father, I hope you submit this to the appropriat e magazines so that those who are not a part of this blog can enjoy it too. Thank you for this.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: All Roads Edition
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Easter (1962MR): The smoke of Satan
- WDTPRS – 5th Sunday of Easter: The prayer’s very word order reveals God’s love
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: QSL Cards and some firsts
- VIDEO: Diaconate Ordination of the the Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter @CSPOrd
- Donations, PayPal, alternatives, and you
- Irish Ass. of Catholic Priests in toddler meltdown mode against Francis over no women deacons
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Thursday: ZedNet, my first pile up, and remote from GITMO and… Vatican City?
- GERMANY: Pro-women’s ordination group: “We want to take Mary off her pedestal”
- What’s up at the southern border of these USA
- Lib liturgy positivists force people to stand after Communion
- Student ‘steals’ pro-life sign on camera, gets arrested, but she’s the victim!
- Benedict XVI’s recent essay is a subtle correction of Amoris laetitia ch. 8
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- NEW BOOK from Martin Mosebach – Subversive Catholicism: Papacy, Liturgy, Church
- ASK FATHER: The TLM’s Orationes Diversae and Oratio Imperata
- Historic chasuble rediviva
- MULTIPLE CMEs ARE COMING – GEOMAGNETIC STORM UNDERWAY NOW
- The shortage of priests didn’t just happen by itself, it was engineered.
- 14 May – St. Paul, MN: Argument of the Month – SSPX
- Day 8-11 – NS Guantanamo Bay: Homeward, delayed and GITMO colors
- “Don’t bite the priest!”
- ASK FATHER: Lutheran service more reverent than the Sunday Mass
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: Can lay people assist with sprinkling rite and give homily?
- “Meno chiacchiere… più processioni! … Less chattering … more processions!”
- What priests – and you too – will have to deal with
- ASK FATHER: My mind goes blank just before confession
- “Tactical Rabbi”. Why not “Tactical Priests”? “Tactical Bishops”?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Daily Archives: 27 September 2007
In the continuing drama of the "Fourth Secret" of Fatima (that is, the part of th Third Secret which hasn’t been revealed by the Holy See) read this from CWN: Italian journalists protest exclusion from Fatima discussion Rome, Sep. 27, … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Kevin J. Farrell, Bishop of Dallas has issued a letter to priests of that diocese about the Holy Father’s provisions in Summorum Pontificum. My emphases and comments. Bishop Farrell’s letter to the priests August 24, 2007 … Continue reading
Yes… apparently. A kind reader sent me a copy on an e-mail received from EWTN’s Gordon Siobley responsding to a question about future broadcasts of the older form of Mass. EWTN plans to occasionally air the Extraordinary Form of the … Continue reading
I have a bizzaro evening planned. Tonight is the 7th season premier of Smallville. I was introduced to this series by a Canadian priest in Rome some years ago and have been hooked ever since.
At this time of year the Chinese celebrate their Mid-Autumn Festival. With a click of the chop-sticks to Cha Xiu Bao: Bright moon, when did you appear? Lifting my wine, I ask the dark night sky. Tonight in the palace … Continue reading
I know I am catching up with some dated news, but recently there was a bit of a debate about the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum among Italian bishops during a meeting of their conference (CEI): 17-19 September. The CEI is … Continue reading
I returned to The Sabine Farm after my superb trip to England. Many thanks, again, to all whom I met there. Last night we were graced with a clear sky and a Harvest Moon you could read by… or harvest … Continue reading
A kind reader sent a link to an article in the Bismarck Tribune about how His Excellency Most Reverend Paul Zipfel, Bishop of Bismarck, approaches the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum. Let’s dig into the article, with a few caveats. My … Continue reading
Under another entry, there is some debate about the reception of Communion in the hand during Holy Mass celebrated in the extraordinary form. Some contend that Communion may not be given in the hand, because it could not be given … Continue reading