Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mattheusmei: Perhaps cold and flu season is going pretty strong and this is an effort to prevent catching and or spreading contagions ?
- Jerome Charles: This woman clearly has some unhealed spiritual wounds, and rather than mock that, as some here have, I hope the priest will exercise his pastoral skills and reach out to her to...
- Matthewp: So question. At the end of the Mass, some people managed to kiss the ring. Now I’m really confused! Why did he recoil at it one time and allow it in another???
- Bill Redic: This video, from Detroit Catholic, is even better:
- hwriggles4: I wish I could be in Washington DC today. Fr. Joseph Coffey (CAPT, CHC, USNR) is being installed today as an auxiliary bishop for the Archdioces e for the Military Services. I met Fr....
- THREEHEARTS: might I write Father dimwitted is a very true, exceedingl y true descriptio n of a mind un-illumin ated by grace
- veritas vincit: Fr Sotelo: If I had received a letter from a priest such as you describe, I would sense a brush-off. (Of course, I would never have sent a letter like that to a priest. Had I a...
- Spade: “Fr_ Sotelo says: I also would never have published it, even in a small circle of friends. 8221; I would have. There̵ 7;s an old saying I’ve heard here in DC: “Nev er...
- robtbrown: Her photo surprised me. The letter indicates she had experience of the pre Vat II Church. Instead, she looks to be someone born 1970-75. Consequent ly, her letter seems typical of the...
- Fr_Sotelo: It is actually typical of the letters that parishione rs send off when they are angry. Most of the time, these letters bypass the priest and go straight to the bishop. As a pastor, I...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Fascinatin g, the Shalom – Khaire (I don’ t know how to produce Greek letters here) bit.
- richiedel: DanW got it.
- KateD: Captiva. May God have mercy on her. And send His holy angels to the defense of this faithful and embattled young priest. When you get a letter like that you know you have gotten under the...
- Fr. Kelly: No. I assure you, it is a Lambertini , Benedict XIV mug. Everything about the mug encourages me to drink my coffee slowly. If it were a Lamborghin i, I might have to gulp it down as...
- Olecrochet: The thing I find most disturbing about this letter is the total lack of respect for the priest. Isn’ t he the representa tive of Christ ? I may not have the phrasing right, but he...
- Fallibilissimo: First off, it’s pretty late where I’m at and now I desperatel y want some pasta e ceci. That looks absolutely delightful . And I second what a commentato r said here about willing...
- DanW: Gaius Marius [Yes, indeed.]
- Gab: Damian Thompson ? Verified account @holysmoke 3h3 hours ago To clarify: Fr Rynne didn’t intend to make public Maureen Bennett’s snide letter. I didn’t know that when I published it (and I...
- TonyO: This poor woman Maureen says Your attitude to women on the altar, denying us of the positions we have humbly held in the past… ;” She cannot realize what she is saying. “...
- Gab: adriennep says: “I keep saying Father Z needs to do a cookbook! I’d buy multiple copies. 221; Capital idea! It would go well with the cooking show I keep saying he should do.
- Suburbanbanshee: Agree, Anita. I do not want to be a priest; and it is about sacrifice, not stardom. I have been thinking that a lot of people confuse liturgy with a performing art. God does...
- G1j: We settled for venison goulash today̷ 0;Tasty, but the pasta e ceci looks fantastic.
- JustaSinner: Alas, too many carbs̷ 0;but I can dream!
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The women who want to be priests want it because they don’t get what the priesthood is. They think it’s about power and influence. It isn’t. It’s self-immol ation. I thank...
- Karl Keating: “Can you think of another famous ‘nov us homo… new man’ who was from Arpinum? 8221; Yes, I can, but not perhaps the man you have in mind: Luigi Embergher was born...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: How early can the Easter Vigil begin?
- VIDEO: Francis’ Mass ad orientem at Loreto and… something else
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas
- LENTCAzT 2019 20 – Monday of the 3rd Week of Lent: The angel’s greeting to Mary
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci … with a quiz
- ASK FATHER: Bishop forces priest to use table altar instead of high altar for Extraordinary Form
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – 3rd Sunday of Lent: Mass is not a souvenir
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 6 November 2008
PODCAzT 71: “Faith inscribed across your heart”: Benedict on Cyril of Jerusalem & Cyril on faith, your treasure
Today we hear what St. Cyril of Jerusalem (+387) says about faith, the faith handed down to us and which we must inscribe across our hearts. Our faith is a gift, a treasure for which we must given an account … Continue reading
A kind reader sent me this wonderful news and photo. I thought you might find it interesting to know that in the Diocese of Birmingham (Alabama) Bishop David Foley (Bishop Emeritus) is now offering a regular monthly High Mass! This … Continue reading
Many thanks to RR of N.-D. for the gift of squid ink spaghetti! When I go to the "big city" I may have to look for some real "squid ink". I know a place where I can get it, with … Continue reading
In the wake of the election I find the news of the Taurid meteor shower (or the "Bull shower") to be especially welcome. Here is news from SpaceWeather.com TAURID METEORS: The annual Taurid meteor shower is underway and it could … Continue reading
From a reader: Bishop Conley to celebrate Latin Mass The public is invited to join Denver Auxiliary Bishop James D. Conley as he celebrates a Tridentine Mass, the Latin-language liturgy used before the Second Vatican Council, on Nov. 9. … Continue reading
This from a reader: Anyone interested in attending a Barak Obama inauguration rally while wearing t-shirts that say "I am John Galt" and waving signs that say "No You Kant"? ROFL!
Remember my prediction? I opined that in the wake of the election of Pres.-Elect Obama, there would be spill-over in the Church. Some would apply their political paradigm to the internal workings of the Church. This is an interesting piece … Continue reading
Here is something to plan around if you are within striking distance of Chicago on 11 January ’09. (WOW… not that far away!) From a reader: On Sunday, January 11th, the Most Reverend Joseph N. Perry, Auxiliary Bishop of the … Continue reading
Please do me a favor when sending photos. Please don’t embed them in the body of your e-mail. Attach them as files. Embedding them creates more work for me. When I see more work staring me in the face, I … Continue reading
Does anyone have photos of His Excellency Most Reverend R. Walter Nickless of Sioux City, Iowa celebrating in black vestments last weekend?
My friend Fr. Jeff Moore is in Switzerland, at the Collegio Papio in Ascona. The place was established by St. Charles Borromeo. He celebrated the Feast of Holy Relics in a way the saint would have easily recognized.
Here is an alarming note from a reader: I just came across the following information regarding the group Call to Action and their national conference to be held Nov 7-9, 2008 in Milwaukee, WI. I did not know the nature … Continue reading
From a priest reader… finally a good use for something sent out by OCP.
From a reader: I have a question that I haven’t been able to find an answer to. During Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament, when the priest traces the sign of the cross with the monstrance, should the members of the … Continue reading